Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Then how do you explain the maaaassive correlation between poverty and crime?
    People aren't born a blank slate. There's been research released not long ago that suggests genetics having influence on who is a sexual criminal, as an example: http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/conten...f-0ed9c7662bff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    If it were up to me, rape, murder would carry a mandatory minimum of life without parole. This is common sense legislation. If we could pass tougher laws we could see a rapid decline in rape and homicide cases.
    Isn't that peoples argument for the death penalty to though? And that hasn't exactly worked out :P
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    may not be a necessary condition but it is often a sufficient one (stealing food to eat once a day)
    I'm talking about violent & sexual crimes. They're not something that people do because they're poor. Stealing, yes, I could see that being due to poverty but not going out and beating someone down with an iron pipe just for fun and laughs, or raping someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    People aren't born a blank slate. There's been research released not long ago that suggests genetics having influence on who is a sexual criminal, as an example: http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/conten...f-0ed9c7662bff
    So you think poor people are just more prone to crime at a fundamental level? And the poverty is what? Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    may not be a necessary condition but it is often a sufficient one (stealing food to eat once a day)

Although in fairness, an overwhelmingly small percentage of crimes committed by people classified as poor has any relation to immediate survival.

I'm talking about violent & sexual crimes. They're not something that people do because they're poor. Stealing, yes, I could see that being due to poverty but not going out and beating someone down with an iron pipe just for fun and laughs, or raping someone.
    Trying to separate stealing from violent crime is kind of silly. As is your characterization of violent crime. Does that happen? Sure, but arguing that poverty has nothing to do with things like armed robberies is dumb. The difference here of course that armed robberies are far more common than thrill killings.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Isn't that peoples argument for the death penalty to though? And that hasn't exactly worked out :P
    Doesn't mean it won't work if we try it again. Besides the victims families would want the criminals to suffer the greatest extent under the law without it becoming unconstitutional. Solitary confinement for life is constitutional and does not violate any laws.

Deleted
    So you think poor people are just more prone to crime at a fundamental level? And the poverty is what? Coincidence?
    No, I think people who are poor, and commit crime, are poor because of the same things that causes them to choose crime. Most poor people don't commit crime, so, there has to be something else that causes those criminals who are poor to commit crime. Genetics is one thing you can look at then, because people aren't born a blank slate. Not everyone is born with the same potential. You can also look at how they were raised, which could be another contributing factor. Not that they're poor.

If poverty was behind crime, we should have seen a lot of crime in Sweden when people were way poorer than today, instead we've seen the reverse - as people have gotten more disposable income, crime has risen.

Jesus, look at this thread.
    If it isn't a strong case for rounding up all the tumblrina SJWs in the world and gassing them, I don't know what is.
    (With laughing gas, of course. Because they have no sense of humor~)
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

Deleted
    yeah well what can you say people are fucking stupid

No, I think people who are poor, and commit crime, are poor because of the same things that causes them to choose crime. Most poor people don't commit crime, so, there has to be something else that causes those criminals who are poor to commit crime. Genetics is one thing you can look at then, because people aren't born a blank slate. Not everyone is born with the same potential.
    Ok so let's say that genetics drive crime rates. Does that mean the african american population in the US is genetically predisposed to be even more criminal?

Anyone else getting a "Not Found" message, when clicking this link?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    The result is that in America you can find an entire mob of people who think nothing wrong of witnessing a gang rape in broad daylight.
    In before the Kitty Genovese reference.

It's not just the United States.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Poverty puts...lets call it "pressure", on peoples morality. Due to that, a higher number of poor people will naturally show poor moral values and commit crimes, than rich people. Their morality simply gets "examined" in a harsher way, so to speak. That's still not even an hint of an excuse for the crimes, apart from the very small number of crimes that are in some way necessary for health and outright survival.

10+ Year Old Account
    how the fuck does poverty cause rape? seriously? most ridiculous thing I have herd on these forums and that says a lot.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Anyone else getting a "Not Found" message, when clicking this link?
    Works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    Poverty puts...lets call it "pressure", on peoples morality. Due to that, a higher number of poor people will naturally show poor moral values and commit crimes, than rich people. Their morality simply gets "examined" in a harsher way, so to speak. That's still not even an hint of an excuse for the crimes, apart from the very small number of crimes that are in some way necessary for health and outright survival.
    I don't think "morality" has much to do with it. Rich people commit crimes the same as the rest of us, or at least make sure the things they do aren't crimes.

The difference being the nature of the crimes you commit, based on your need. So yeah, rich people don't rob gas stations. But poor people don't rig stock trades.

Of course none of this justifies it, but just throwing up our hands and saying "they're bad guys!" is poor thinking.

Deleted
    I don't think "morality" has much to do with it. Rich people commit crimes the same as the rest of us, or at least make sure the things they do aren't crimes.

The difference being the nature of the crimes you commit, based on your need. So yeah, rich people don't rob gas stations. But poor people don't rig stock trades.

Of course none of this justifies it, but just throwing up our hands and saying "they're bad guys!" is poor thinking.
    Okay, so rape goes where on the "poor people need this"?

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    how the fuck does poverty cause rape? seriously? most ridiculous thing I have herd on these forums and that says a lot.
    The link between poverty and crime isn't always concrete. Sometimes its really just simple need. Robbing to keep food on the table or what have you. But sometimes poverty just means you never were brought up in an environment conducive to good citizenship. Your dad gets stuck in prison your entire childhood and mom is always working for instance.

Okay, so rape goes where on the "poor people need this"?
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosoulsu View Post
    Jesus, look at this thread.
    If it isn't a strong case for rounding up all the tumblrina SJWs in the world and gassing them, I don't know what is.
    (With laughing gas, of course. Because they have no sense of humor~)
    I'm still trying to find out what you based your insinuation on, in regards to "what" Tumblrina SJW's are uptight about, on.

Or did you just want to say that nonsensical label, and think that it would sprout some sort of argument for you?