Thread: deflect?

Deleted

deflect?

I noticed something strange.

Yesterday i have "deflected" one Crystallized Blood (bloodritual maidens from marak). Here is the log, min 03:23

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=158080

What does "deflect" mean? This has to be a bug, or does anyone know when and why this happens?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Deflect" is actually not all that rare. It is used in cases where Spell Reflect prevents you from being hit, but doesn't redirect the spell to the caster. You see it in dungeon bosses every so often.

Deleted
    first of all i haven t used spellreflect in this fight at all, and second i can not imagine that crystallized blood can be spellreflected since it is physical dmg.

Wouldnt that mean that you should still use Spell Reflect for every one, regardless of not doing damage to the caster?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldeath View Post
    Wouldnt that mean that you should still use Spell Reflect for every one, regardless of not doing damage to the caster?
    no, since it can not be spellreflected (at least asfaik)....thats why i m wondering how i did deflect this one....

After looking through my logs, I too have deflected a few times (most is 1 in each fight). I too have never used spell reflect. Guess its just rng?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldeath View Post
    After looking through my logs, I too have deflected a few times (most is 1 in each fight). I too have never used spell reflect. Guess its just rng?
    idk, this is strange

So Deflect is what happens when you parry a melee attack that is technically a spell or deflecting actual spells themselves. I can think of 2 examples, other then the OPs log. Spells delivered via melee swing: Hammer of the righteous and the melee attacks from Malkorok, a MoP boss. So when attacks like these hit you they can either hit, be blocked, dodged, or deflected. If a hit or block occurs then damage will be dealt, with Hammer of the Righteous since it is technically a spell that is being cast it is deflected not parry'd. Malkorok if i remember correctly you could block or deflect initial damage from his auto-attacks but they also applied a debuff regardless. Hunters deterrence lets them also deflect spells, I've read it seems to follow the same rules as having 100% parry chance for spells.

With regards to Crystallized Blood it's physical damage "spell" that is delivered through a melee attack. I think this is done with abilities like this so that tanks can reliably soak the damage where as a dps could still get hit hard and in most cases lead to a 1shot.

Deleted
    I'd presume it's Warcraft logs way of saying a physical "spell" didn't hit you, such as the first boss of UBRS?

Quote Originally Posted by deadmanfred View Post
    So Deflect is what happens when you parry a melee attack that is technically a spell or deflecting actual spells themselves. I can think of 2 examples, other then the OPs log. Spells delivered via melee swing: Hammer of the righteous and the melee attacks from Malkorok, a MoP boss. So when attacks like these hit you they can either hit, be blocked, dodged, or deflected. If a hit or block occurs then damage will be dealt, with Hammer of the Righteous since it is technically a spell that is being cast it is deflected not parry'd. Malkorok if i remember correctly you could block or deflect initial damage from his auto-attacks but they also applied a debuff regardless. Hunters deterrence lets them also deflect spells, I've read it seems to follow the same rules as having 100% parry chance for spells.

With regards to Crystallized Blood it's physical damage "spell" that is delivered through a melee attack. I think this is done with abilities like this so that tanks can reliably soak the damage where as a dps could still get hit hard and in most cases lead to a 1shot.

Quoting to promote truth. This is indeed how it works.

I always wondered what that was lol I don't even have that on my bar 90% of the time, it makes sense now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deadmanfred View Post

I m sorry i still don t get it. Crystallized blood can hit a damage dealer standing 30 yards away if there is no tank between marak and the targeted player, so how can this be delivered through a melee attack?

And still i don t get how it happens.

Sry, maybe i m missing something here due to my limited english skills ^^

"Deflect" is parrying a ranged attack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    "Deflect" is parrying a ranged attack.
    Since when is it possible to parry range attacks??

10+ Year Old Account
    Since MoP, when they changed how hit and expertise works for hunters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus707 View Post
    Since MoP, when they changed how hit and expertise works for hunters.
    ok and how often will you actually parry?

Quote Originally Posted by aerlins View Post
    I m sorry i still don t get it. Crystallized blood can hit a damage dealer standing 30 yards away if there is no tank between marak and the targeted player, so how can this be delivered through a melee attack?

And still i don t get how it happens.

Sry, maybe i m missing something here due to my limited english skills ^^
    So in game what is happening is that Marak is sucking the blood out of one of your friends then plans to turn it into a harden crystal, which I guess she throws along with an aoe cone attack. When the crystal reaches the first person, hopefully the tank, it strikes with an attack of its own... making it deal damage similar to an auto-attack. This, and the Sanguine strikes at the end, are the reason I believe you want a high melee dmg mitigating tank on Marak, i.e. warrior, monk, maybe pally.

Deleted
    Hey I checked your logs and I can tell you whats going on.
    1. You did not Deflect anything.

What happened was, that at that time not only one played had the debuff but also 6 other players...which makes it possible that his next Blood Ritual is cast on any of these players. At 3:23 Marak was casting again Blood Ritual, but he did not cast it on you but on one of your Hunters, named Szua. Szua used his deterence and as a result Maraks spell on Szua will be deflected. Warcraftlogs is Analyzing this from Maraks point of view, he casts it...and the spell got deflected. You were just staying there...you were not the target...you were just getting the aoe damage from it. As a result there is written that you deflected the spell, which is not true...it just got logged because Szua was the initial target and he deflected. You can also see this in the replay.

I recommend you guys not to have everyone in your debuffed by that
    Last edited by mmoce9a0459a44; 2015-04-27 at 08:14 AM. Reason: correction

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    We actually had already covered what deflect means, Dilac...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilac View Post
    Hey I checked your logs and I can tell you whats going on.
    1. You did not Deflect anything.

What happened was, that at that time not only one played had the debuff but also 6 other players...which makes it possible that his next Blood Ritual is cast on any of these players. At 3:23 Marak was casting again Blood Ritual, but he did not cast it on you but on one of your Hunters, named Szua. Szua used his deterence and as a result Maraks spell on Szua will be deflected. Warcraftlogs is Analyzing this from Maraks point of view, he casts it...and the spell got deflected. You were just staying there...you were not the target...you were just getting the aoe damage from it. As a result there is written that you deflected the spell, which is not true...it just got logged because Szua was the initial target and he deflected. You can also see this in the replay.

I recommend you guys not to have everyone in your debuffed by that
    This is strange. Because we usually let all hunters take the debuff, so that they can get bloodritual and fade it oder just take it with deterence. So this should really happen all the time, not only once.

And even if its because of deterence, its strange, because deterence will not stop her (shes actually female, like all 3 of them :-) from casting blood ritual, it just will reduce the dmg the hunter takes, so why should crystalized blood not hit me in that case? Thats makes no sence at all.