10+ Year Old Account

The Guiter Games Come to the Current Gen

Rockband and Guiter Hero sequels have been offically announced, is the old rivalry finally coming to the current gen?

Rockband Announcement Trailer

Guiter Hero Reveal.

I would personally like to see another DJ Hero.

There was no rivalry.

There was harmonix who created Guitar Hero.

And then there was harmonix who killed Guitar Hero by making Rock Band.

Rock Band was fucking incredible.

Will buy

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll buy Rock Band 4 (GH Live looks like garbage), but man do those Rock Band developers come across as the most pretentious, annoying fucks in the world.

"I've never felt more like I was in an indie studio in my life"
    "We're definitely indie"

Yeah, if your forget the corporate sponsors, partnerships, and billions of dollars in financial backing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guitar Hero was trash, Rock Band trumped it every way as far as a music game goes, however for those like me who actually played guitar before these games started coming out, Rocksmith was the saving grace of the genre because it is as much a game as it is a teaching tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how you can have a rivalry between two games made by the same company. One has more instruments you can play and that's about it.
    They both ended up with the same instruments and GH had several games after Harmonix moved to Rock Band. People generally didn't by both games once both games had the same instruments, instead they picked the one that they thought was the best. Hence a rivalry.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    They both ended up with the same instruments and GH had several games after Harmonix moved to Rock Band. People generally didn't by both games once both games had the same instruments, instead they picked the one that they thought was the best. Hence a rivalry.
    Rock Band wound up being better purely because EA was capable of throwing copious amounts of money at the record companies to get masters for tracks, hence why by the time Rock Band 3 came out, the franchise had a massive library of songs in it's back catalog whereas Activision pretty much screwed the pooch in that regard and pumped out a bunch of games all to close together using different eras and not allowing players to bring over songs from their previous games into the new one's really put a nail in the Guitar Hero coffin. I still think Rock Band will be the better game due to EA and Harmonix accepting that all instruments are important to a band and that there are people who do play guitar that will play the game if they support it with options for real guitar charts in the game.

The best Harmonix game was Amplitude. I hated Guitar Hero because it's nothing like playing guitar (I've played guitar for close to 20 years) but at least Rock Band had the drum set which was at least somewhat realistic and fun. Always hated the lack of backwards compatibility of songs between games, too.

I'll pick up both, I think they're both pretty solid games.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty pumped for the return of Guitar Hero. The game looks like it will be pretty cool. Never really played Rockband other than at parties, but I like that they are trying to give people the songs they bought in previous games.