Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Books] Brandon Sanderson books for those who love epic Fantasy

Maybe There is a thread about this man I can not be sure but if there isnt this will be the first!

For all you that loves Lord of The rings, Terry Pratchett and Robert Jordan this is a author for you!

Actually if you have read wheel of Time you rpobably know who this author is.

Sanderson is a world builder with several books and novels under his belt.

I have just read Way of Kings a second time and are half way trough Words of Radience a second time asweell eagerly awaiting the nexct in this series that probally is going to be massive.

I highly recoomend these books to everyone who loves fantasy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. Way of Kings and Words of Radience are outstanding, I could NOT put WoR down, I was reading till 5/6 in the morning every day, because I would only stop when it started getting light out...

Finished WoR and started Final Empire right away. It's... Ok, the only problem I have with it is it really reads a little too much like a practice run for the Stormlight Archive, everything is very similar, but not quite as good.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I was pleased with the more straightforward writing style that Sanderson had over Jordan when he finished the Wheel of Time, though I'm definitely not going to take away from Jordan. Wheel of Time is my favorite fantasy series of all time, closely followed by Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. I read the Mistborn trilogy and The Alloy of Law, and they were very enjoyable reads, though they are nowhere near as "epic" as WoT, GoT, or LotR.

I'm currently reading The Way of Kings, now THIS is epic. I'm with Gallahadd, I'm having a lot of trouble putting the book down. If it keeps the pace up, it will easily be right up there with WoT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    I'm currently reading The Way of Kings, now THIS is epic. I'm with Gallahadd, I'm having a lot of trouble putting the book down. If it keeps the pace up, it will easily be right up there with WoT.
    Wait till you get to Words of Radience , it's even better!

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first books I read from him were the Mistborn Trilogy, and they are seriously good. I highly recommend them. I didn't even know about Way of Kings until after I had already picked my next set of books to read so they will have to wait. Right now I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire, but next will be either Way of Kings, or Wheel of Time.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    next will be either Way of Kings, or Wheel of Time.
    read Way of Kings first, it's 2 books(with a bunch more to come at a later date) compared to WoT's 700.

Deleted
    I agree with Galahadd. Read WoK and WoR before getting in bed with WoT

I love Sanderson much much more than Jordan (whom i find extremely generic). I'm actually doing a re-read of the Stormlight Archive right now.

I loved his other stuff too, but there's something undefinable about the Stormlight Archive that's truly epic. I think it's going to replace Lord of the Ring (which I also love) as the definitive work of the High fantasy genre.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, after discovering his work in the last year or so starting with the Mistborn books. I'm a huge WoT fan, so I definitely knew about him but never tried any of his books. I’m pretty sure I took a look at him when I first heard he was finishing WoT and I guess I decided it wasn’t worth checking out at the time.

I kept hearing good things so I gave it a shot, and I’m very happy that I did. I really enjoyed the original Mistborn books and now the second series around that world as well. After that I dove into The Stormlight Archive, which is amazing so far. So, so good. I’ve since read the Reckoners books which I’ve enjoyed (they are YA but I thought the concept was interesting and as usual he does a great job building a world and tying the characters into it), as well as Elantris (and its related short-stories) and the Legion short-stories. I’m not planning on reading his other YA series, Alcatraz something or other, but most of his other works are on my to-read list.

I think his idea of the Cosmere and tying most of his stuff together in mostly small and subtle ways is cool and I’m looking forward to how it plays out. I’ve really liked pretty much everything of his I’ve read so far, but The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance were so good that I’m almost mad that he’s not just focusing on that series. I think its exciting that he’s fairly young so there’s a good chance I could be reading new books from him for the next 20-30+ years.

Deleted
    I think its good that he takes his time with the series. I rather have a well written book then a forced one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahriel View Post
    I think its good that he takes his time with the series. I rather have a well written book then a forced one.
    I think that he spends alot of time in editing. Or maybe that's Patrick Rothfuss, I keep getting them mixed up.

Anyway, it's probably very varying the amount of work an author needs before he feels done. Jim Butcher for example practically spits out books of (to me) good quality with Dresden Files.

And yes, Brandon Sanderson quickly climbed to one of my favorite authors after reading WoK and WoR. I've actually reread them twice, and planning a third this summer.

I've had a hard time finding works that are as epic, and it's getting to be almost frustrating that I can't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahriel View Post
    I actually think he's the fastest and most dedicated fantasy author I've read. 9mo to a year is record time for a book, and he is usually working on two or three at a time. You can track his progress on his website to see that he never really stops. Does as many speaking engagements and teaching classes as any other author, but you never hear him say he's taking a year off to recharge. (I hope he doesn't burn out)

Mistborn was my first read by him as well. I have to thank Jordan's estate for introducing me to my new favorite author. When they announced that Sanderson was finishing the series, my first thought was... "who"? Followed by "I'll have to check out his stuff, I'm sure they picked someone great".

I loved the work he did finishing WoT. I think his writing was right up there with Jordan's first five books. (I'm one of those who think the first few WoT were some of the best fantasy ever... but think it then got slow for a while).

I've stopped reading his books for now though. He did what I promised myself I would never go through again... He started a super long series. I promised myself I would never read an incomplete series again. Jordan's Death, GRRM stopped writing... I can't go through the heartbreak of thinking a series I love might never be completed. I'll only read complete series, or series that are likely to be completed soon after I get to the last published book. Then, as Rothfuss has shown me "likely to be completed soon" might even be false logic on my part.

Love Sanderson. I can't wait to start his new series. With Brandon's work ethic and amazing books, I might be able to start reading around book 8 or 9 of 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    I think that he spends alot of time in editing. Or maybe that's Patrick Rothfuss, I keep getting them mixed up.
    Rothfuss is the KING of edits, I worked with a girl who was really close friends with him and she said it's honestly 70/30 with him, editing to writing .

Not to mention after Wise Man's Fear got TORN apart he basically scrapped all he had of book three and started fresh. Which is probably a good thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I recently read one of his books, not anything high fantasy though. I read Steelheart, it is a book about people who get super-powers, it is pretty good.

Maybe after I finish another book that I am reading, ill read another one of his.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Wise Man's Fear would have been great if he hadn't gone all crazy over Ferulian. It was like reading Stephenie Meyer talking about Edward Cullen.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    read Way of Kings first, it's 2 books(with a bunch more to come at a later date) compared to WoT's 700.
    Oh wow I thought it was already way more then 2 books. Thanks for telling me, I will definitely read Way of Kings first.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Oh wow I thought it was already way more then 2 books. Thanks for telling me, I will definitely read Way of Kings first.
    He's started working on Book 3. If you read WoT first, depending on how fast you read, Book 3 might be out before you finish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    He's started working on Book 3. If you read WoT first, depending on how fast you read, Book 3 might be out before you finish.

But if he reads 1 and 2 first, 4 might be out by the time he finishes 3

15+ Year Old Account
    I might read one if his books after I finish the Expanse. What is one of his good series that I should read? I never really read any high fantasy.
    Last edited by apepi; 2015-04-16 at 06:37 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I might read one if his books after I finish the Expanse. What is one of his good series that I should read? I never really read any high fantasy.
    Honestly I think they're all pretty great. If you don't want to jump into high fantasy right away I'd suggest Steelheart. It's a "super hero" story with a twist. There was a comet that gave some people super powers but everyone who gets powers ends up doing evil. Normal people have to find their weakness and try to defeat them.

Reading that over it seems like kind of a lame summary but it's a great book. He's got two books of that series written and a short story between the first and second and is working on a third book in that world.

If you want to try the fantasy start with The Final Empire, the first book in the Mistborn Trilogy or Way of Kings the first book in the Stormlight Archive. Stormlight Archive is still ongoing though while the Mistborn Trilogy is finished, although he's still working on a companion trilogy set in the same world as Mistborn but in the future.