Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    iq tests just test your ability to reason
    its nothing to study for

and personality tests....well....lie?

15+ Year Old Account
    They want to know how clever you are and what kind of person you are.. Makes absolutely perfect sense in an interview. Whether they work is a different issue, but as long as the employer thinks they do, of course he'll use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Nothing wrong with IQ tests. It is the best cognitive ability indicator available to me....essentially telling me whether or not someone has the capacity to learn the business as opposed to someone who may not be able to. Science is science and there is a sweet spot where people are either not smart enough or too smart and would lose interest quickly in the industry I am in.

Personality tests are also important as they can assist in building effective communication and motivation strategies for the members on your team/projects.
    The problem with IQ tests is the same with many forms of standardized testing, it's less of real assessment and more of a game of how well you can do with the testing format.

If the purpose of an IQ test is to assess someone's logic and problem solving, the tests would do things like logic reduction, or logic construction with resource constraints. None of these could be multiple choice though, hence why the tests given to most people are not what they claim to be.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably just a way to take the 200 applicants you had for the position, and get them to do a quick test, and then only consider the top 20-scoring applicants out of that pool, because HR staff don't have time to evaluate 200 applicants for a position. If it weren't these kinds of tests, it would be things like "I don't like their resume layout at first glance" or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    When I applied for programming jobs, I frequently had to write a bit code on-the-spot, or something similar before they would even interview me.

If I was a hiring manager, I would test for "hustle". I'd hand them a crate of sealed envelopes and a letter opener and have them open those for 5 minutes. That's a basic skill anyone can do and would test for hustle. That should also weed out divas. I want people with a work ethic. If they pass that, then I interview them. The next thing I'd weed out for is gossip. People that dish about other people are just trouble in an office environment. So I'd ask what TV shows they watch. If they are watching those gossip shows, goodbye.
    And here I sit, gasping at the thought that I agree with Grummgug in something.

Deleted
    I just wish that a person like myself with some experience but lacking in some departments could be given a freaking chance today everybody has to be so bloody perfect. Especially as a girl since we are dangeous baby breedes

Just like cops, you can't be having your employees being smarter than you are.

#HireAllTheDumbOnes

10+ Year Old Account
    You sure it was a job and not a pyramid scheme or cult?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    They do that to weed out people with learning disabilities. It should be considered discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    They do that to weed out people with learning disabilities. It should be considered discrimination.
    I'm sorry, but there is a level where its not discrimination, its finding qualified applicants for a job.

Do you want someone with a serious learning disability to be a project manage? (even if they somehow made their way through school/certifcations and still couldn't pass basic tests).

Its like complaining that a company that does hardwood flooring is looking for workers who can handle jobs that involve doing stairs... and doesn't hire someone in a wheelchair because... for one it woudl be hard to do hardwood flooring in a wheelchair,, i see it being incredibly difficult on stairs...

10+ Year Old Account
    People with learning disabilities do all sorts of jobs. They own companies, some of them are extremly successful. Who says they can't be something as simple as project manager? Albert Einstein had a learning disability.

It is, by definition, "discrimination". Not all groups are protected and we probably shouldn't start considering people who are unintelligent or bad at learning things a protected class for employment. I pity the software company that decides they're going to stop discriminating against people that can't learn to code.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    Personality tests are a must nowadays in team-based work environments. You can bullshit in the interview about how you ard a team player but you can't bluff your way through a personality test as easily.
    Yes you can. They say "there are no wrong answers", but those tests have obvious right answers that are easy to BS your way through.

I failed the questionnaire for working at McDonald's, but I have a job. So I guess those test are pretty much pointless, especially when they EXPECT you to lie on them.

Who says they can't be something as simple as project manager?
    Apparently the people that are hiring and trying to determine who's going to be good at the position. Do you actually want to compel companies to hire people that are poor learners instead of people that are quick learners?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yes you can. They say "there are no wrong answers", but those tests have obvious right answers that are easy to BS your way through.

I failed the questionnaire for working at McDonald's, but I have a job. So I guess those test are pretty much pointless, especially when they EXPECT you to lie on them.
    People that are too stupid or so unethical that they fail to figure out what sorts of replies are decent are probably worth filtering out though, yeah?

10+ Year Old Account
    When it's put to me that way, i'll say no. I don't feel the testing, 1000 interviews, and background checks they put you through for minimum wage jobs is fair though. Thankfully I found a job a couple years ago, but before that I was unemployed long term and it really sucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    IQ tests and Personality tests are useless outside their context.

Unless the job has its own IQ and Personality tests there's not point in valuing them.

Franchise company jobs usually have generalized "questionnaires" for placement.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahriel View Post
    I live in Sweden and i've noticed as I have been unemployed for quite some time that it is getting more popoular using so called IQ tests or personality tests when excluding people for the job. My question is why. personality tests I can get but these vauge "pick out this rule" tests or logic tests I do not.

I have never been taught complex logic thinking because my brain is not suited for it, I can do low level math but as sson as the greek letters show up I stop getting it. SO im therefor to be punished for my lack of education fora job that do not requite complex logic thinking like customer support or receptionist work.

So can anybody explain this for me or maybe even tip me on how I can learn to becaome better at these tests.
    That seems like first stage of preliminary. From those who got high enough score they just interview those people and give the job to that one who seem most competent from that grp for the job.

Occupational personality tests are becoming a more common thing in general. Especially for entry-level positions which attract a large number of applicants.

Basically its just another tool for employers to weed people out.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's probably just a way to take the 200 applicants you had for the position, and get them to do a quick test, and then only consider the top 20-scoring applicants out of that pool, because HR staff don't have time to evaluate 200 applicants for a position. If it weren't these kinds of tests, it would be things like "I don't like their resume layout at first glance" or the like.
    We know you're an avid supporter of Affirmative Action so I'm interested in hearing how would you apply that concept to the one you just laid out?

Hypothetical: If none of the top 20 scoring applicants are of X racial background, then would colored persons have points added to compensate or would the hiring pool have to be expanded to top 20 scoring applicant + these colored people.

How would you see it done?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    We know you're an avid supporter of Affirmative Action so I'm interested in hearing how would you apply that concept to the one you just laid out?
    I'm not, and it's a ridiculous hypothetical, since the two concepts are contradictory.

Hypothetical: If none of the top 20 scoring applicants are of X racial background, then would colored persons have points added to compensate or would the hiring pool have to be expanded to top 20 scoring applicant + these colored people.

How would you see it done?
    If you're using a test that has a differential based on race, then you're using a test that is inherently racist. Also, by your argument here, you have no clue how affirmative action programs even work, so you're attacking a straw man, to boot.