Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he say something about not caring if you're religious or not as long as you are a good person? If so, he's okay in my book.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's kinda progressive in some points which is really good for the image of the catholic church. But I'm not religious so I couldn't care less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he say something about not caring if you're religious or not as long as you are a good person? If so, he's okay in my book.
    Probably. He also said that if someone insults your mum that a normal response is to punch them in the face. Which it is, as opposed to crying to someone about it. He mixes the progressiveness with a bit of "if you can deal with a problem yourself in a way that does not harm others, then do so, don't go crying to someone else" so he's got a bit of the old timer in him combined with his days as a nightclub bouncer.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

His version of Christianity is closer to my beliefs than other popes.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    He appears to be more progressive than the average pope, but also more ascetical. Which is interesting, because historically the pious and ascetics popes were the most conservative, and the banquet holding, bastard fathering, army leading renaissance popes were the progressive ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like him, he's been one of the better popes we had and isn't scared to rub people or nations the wrong way.

While still not progressive enough for my taste, he isn't an ancient rusted in old beliefs like others were. While he's not for gay marriage for example, he does tell people, well parents and family members to love, take care and respect their children and relatives of a different sexual orientation.

I only hope after he cleaned up the vatican a bit we get a similar runner up. Otherwise if we go back to more conservative views a lot of good can be undone and the church will simply kill itself off over time with that tactic.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2015-04-15 at 03:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a really good pope, comparatively. From what I've read/heard of him, his views seems like the kind I'd consider perfect for someone personally religious. Takes his faith very seriously, focuses on the good parts, doesn't bother others with it, and still listen to scientific consensus.

It looks look it's changing from: 1st - Church Tradition, 2nd - What the Pope Says (distant) 3rd - What the Bible Says to 1st - What the Pope Says, 2nd - Church Tradition, 3rd - What the Bible Says

An example being:
    Probably. He also said that if someone insults your mum that a normal response is to punch them in the face. Which it is, as opposed to crying to someone about it. He mixes the progressiveness with a bit of "if you can deal with a problem yourself in a way that does not harm others, then do so, don't go crying to someone else" so he's got a bit of the old timer in him combined with his days as a nightclub bouncer.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Seems like a really good pope, comparatively. From what I've read/heard of him, his views seems like the kind I'd consider perfect for someone personally religious. Takes his faith very seriously, focuses on the good parts, doesn't bother others with it, and still listen to scientific consensus.
    The Vatican always had their own scientists, it's a bit of a odd thing to consider seeing how some religious people can't find that science can coexist with their religion.
    This also has more to do with how the whole vatican thinks progressively, rather then just the pope

7+ Year Old Account
    I do not.

/ten
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

10+ Year Old Account
    Religion and it's religious figures aren't really my thing.

So... 2/5 stars Yelp Review, would not eat there again?

How do I feel?
    As a former catholic, I like this pope much more than the ones before him. He's very progressive for the Catholic Church standards. He's more hated by many american christian conservatives, which is always a good sign. He has helped shift the mindset of religious people in my country, who are very conservative and intolerant, to be a little more about good old christian "love thy neighbour".
    Is he good enough? Not at all. But I think he's certainly a big step forward.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Religion and it's religious figures aren't really my thing.

So... 2/5 stars Yelp Review, would not eat there again?
    On that note.. The Vatican has some amazing restaurants. And they serve beer in 1L glasses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    The Vatican always had their own scientists, it's a bit of a odd thing to consider seeing how some religious people can't find that science can coexist with their religion.
    This also has more to do with how the whole vatican thinks progressively, rather then just the pope
    It is good to remember that Vatican is not opposed to science or scientists, unlike those silly american creationists (who are protestants). One good thing about catholic church is that it has always been very far away from religious fundamentalism, since they put tradition and papal authority over sacred texts.

Deleted
    Pretends he has no real power you cant be a moral authority when you do nothing good with all your power remember this guy can
    say stuff that is non revokeable and absolutely binding.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Pretends he has no real power you cant be a moral authority when you do nothing good with all your power remember this guy can
    He only has whatever power the people who follow him let's him have over them. If he stretches it too far, to something they don't like, he'll lose that power. As it is, he's taking a slightly more progressive stance than his predecessors - enough to actually be a real change, but little enough that people will follow. Good use of his position, imo.

Deleted
    Well he's a Pope, so I'm never going to be too keen on him. But for a Pope he seems like a pretty cool guy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    He only has whatever power the people who follow him let's him have over them. If he stretches it too far, to something they don't like, he'll lose that power. As it is, he's taking a slightly more progressive stance than his predecessors - enough to actually be a real change, but little enough that people will follow. Good use of his position, imo.
    The pope is no figurehead his word goes a loooooooong way -,-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    I find he should say stuff and should something about the wrongs that were done in the world, http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/tu...remark-n341936

Considering how he is cleaning up the vatican and is planning to resign, i doubt he is the type to be power hungry or want to determine what people should believe.