New EverQuest Progression Server Opening Up

So, it's been dark on the EQN front, but it looks like EQ1 still has life. They are going to open up another progression server.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...etails.219588/

Never played an EQ game, but I might be tempted to play... because it has real rangers in it!

Well, if I can survive the colossal, twenty year downgrade in graphics and UI technology, that is (unless they are retaining the modern retextures and UI, but using vanilla content and mechanics?)

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Never played an EQ game, but I might be tempted to play... because it has real rangers in it!

Well, if I can survive the colossal, twenty year downgrade in graphics and UI technology, that is (unless they are retaining the modern retextures and UI, but using vanilla content and mechanics?)
    The "modern" retextures and UI are still like 10 years old lol.

I feel like if you've never played the game before you won't like it, but it's a great nostalgia trip if you have. The game itself was AMAZING for it's time, but when you compare it to say, GW2 or whatever MMO you're playing now... it's clearly archaic.

I don't want to discourage you from trying it though, it's worth at least exploring the world and just messing around with the classes and races.

I had so many Shadow Knights: Troll, Ogre, Dark Elf, Iksar.... omg I miss that class so much.

Yeah go try it lol.

I'm pretty sure it's F2P now anyways.

I've played really, really old MMORPGs before (as in, Ultima), so I could stand a chance of surviving the transition. The thing was though, is that Ultima graphical and UI style was pretty much BG/IWD (and I played those alot), so it was very easy to fit in. But EQ is a full on, 3D game where you pan the camera around at pathetic 128px128p textures with shat models, and unlike Ultima, you don't 'imagine' your character like the flat screens do. IDK.

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimately I'm lying to myself; I don't have time for another MMO - I have to start buckling down on legendary quest in WoW, and HoT is coming out this summer, which means I'm gonna have to level a Revenant and all that. Star Citizen's first incarnation of their MMO servers comes this fall, so that's a total of three MMOs alone, not counting the D3 and Warframing I do, before going on to Hearthstone and HotS... hrg hrg...

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a great idea though, and luck to anyone who endeavors to start a new journey on the progression servers

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post

I'll likely be playing if you want somebody to give it a go with just shoot me a PM.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Man, I've always dug how SOE (I'm not calling them fucking DBG, that's dumb) has been doing this for EQ1 over the years. It's a pretty rad system they have going.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, I've always dug how SOE (I'm not calling them fucking DBG, that's dumb) has been doing this for EQ1 over the years. It's a pretty rad system they have going.
    Don't forget about Verant!

Also, was there any mention of a beta start date?
    Last edited by Sylv_; 2015-04-16 at 03:46 AM.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue
    I feel like if you've never played the game before you won't like it, but it's a great nostalgia trip if you have. The game itself was AMAZING for it's time, but when you compare it to say, GW2 or whatever MMO you're playing now... it's clearly archaic.
    I wouldn't say it is archaic. it is simply different and didn't go the way of "arcadization" and dance studios of current MMOs (though I am not 100% sure, as I don't know situation in EQ1 at max level atm). It is centered more on character, world, exploration, progress and deserves to be called as MMORPG much more so than all the current dance studios.
    But it's Daybreak, if you wanna believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    I wouldn't say it is archaic. it is simply different and didn't go the way of "arcadization" and dance studios of current MMOs (though I am not 100% sure, as I don't know situation in EQ1 at max level atm). It is centered more on character, world, exploration, progress and deserves to be called as MMORPG much more so than all the current dance studios.

But it's Daybreak, if you wanna believe...
    Dance studios? Anyway, I really enjoyed EQ back in the day, but wouldn't feel the need to relive the experience unless the graphics were updated.

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Dance studios? Anyway, I really enjoyed EQ back in the day, but wouldn't feel the need to relive the experience unless the graphics were updated.
    Dance studio was coined as a term during t3 in WoW, I think. Heigan fight in Naxxramas. It was heavily reliant on arcade skills and reflexes (and !latency!), but had no stat checks at all (so there were cases of people 3-4 manning 40-men Heigan). Heigan fight was loathed back in time, but now excessive "dance" seems to be a must in WoW and most new MMOs, which makes me, personally, very upset.

EverQuest 1 features quite a methodical gameplay (outsiders call it "grinding"). Character's stats and knowledge of the game decide the player's success and not ability to dance, though I am not entirely sure about current state of EQ1.

This is the game people played to see "+x" to some skill today, + x more plat, + x% more exp, + x more AAs. That very thing which is frowned upon in newer MMOs, because of "leveling weapon skills is boring"-dancers and because it requires no "skill". It isn't the graphics, not even UI, it is that kind of methodical gameplay which feels alienous and "archaic" to most of current MMO players.

Deleted
    i am pumped for the new servers, as an original 16+years EQ player i'll be jumping on this again until it gets boring.

amazing how much life they can squeeze out of such an old game Still has more content than most current MMOs put together!

"...Coin will have no weight..."

I'm out, Casual-quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post

This is the game people played to see "+x" to some skill today, + x more plat, + x% more exp, + x more AAs. That very thing which is frowned upon in newer MMOs, because of "leveling weapon skills is boring"-dancers and because it requires no "skill". It isn't the graphics, not even UI, it is that kind of methodical gameplay which feels alienous and "archaic" to most of current MMO players.
    Sounds perfect. I'm not sure why I didn't check it out earlier.
    Thanks for the thread, OP.

Updated Freeport, Commonlands, and Lavastorm...

*boo* *hiss*

Dafuq? Sounds like they're straying further from their usual stuff with this progression server...why? Do they like, not pay attention to who it is that goes back to play on these servers? >.>

SOE, you're still shitting the bed. Stahp.

Dafuq? Sounds like they're straying further from their usual stuff with this progression server...why? Do they like, not pay attention to who it is that goes back to play on these servers? >.>

SOE, you're still shitting the bed. Stahp.
    Plat sellers and botters?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Updated Freeport, Commonlands, and Lavastorm...

*boo* *hiss*
    Lol yeah updated Freeport and Commonlands killed a huge nostalgia factor for me.