Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow Priest guide - Drye

I just wanted to post this here since I keep getting pms asking about where my guide went/is. I made a new guide on Summonstone.com, http://www.summonstone.com/priest/shadow/#tab-id-1, If you have any concerns or think something should be added please let me know on the summon stone forums or post here. Thanks!

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

What an awe-some guide! Very complete, thank you very much for sharing.

Thanks for the guide! I just hit 100 two days ago on my Spriest and this has helped me a lot. I don't have anywhere near the gear for AS all the time so I have focused on CoP but I was wondering where exactly you fit in Halo/Cascade on a single target fight such as gruul.I see it in the opener but I don't see it mentioned in the normal rotation. Anyways thanks again for the guide

10+ Year Old Account
    Pro guide!

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaman23 View Post
    Thanks for the guide! I just hit 100 two days ago on my Spriest and this has helped me a lot. I don't have anywhere near the gear for AS all the time so I have focused on CoP but I was wondering where exactly you fit in Halo/Cascade on a single target fight such as gruul.I see it in the opener but I don't see it mentioned in the normal rotation. Anyways thanks again for the guide

After orb generators, before fillers. Will update. Thanks.

Hi Drye, i am long time reader of your posts and thanks for this. really appreciate your help to the community.

I have one question, regarding the last steps of the dotweave 4 piece. after casting the second DP, i use insanity for 2 ticks, the MB, then insanity for 2 ticks but when i try and refresh the buff has fallen off and i end up casting Mind flay.

this has resulted in me using a full cast of insanity and spiking off the remaing 2secs of SWP and VT. Which i feel is not optimal.
    its probably to do with my haste and latency. but anything you can suggest to help me fit in the last insanity cast before the final MB?

This is what I am doing in the final phase of the weave -

14. Mind Blast (2 Orb)
    15. Full Insanity Cast
    16. Mind Spike
    17. Mind Blast (3 Orb)

Alena from Kazzak EU

Thanks again.

Deleted
    This rotation should work if you have 4set and start with 0 stacks of it. After that last DP your haste should still increase every second and you should be able to fit all the spells before Insanity buff falls off.

Try to play with spell queueing in interface options, and try it on dummy.

Add: Mostly it should work, but on the bosses where CoP is viable, there is usually a raid damage happening pretty often (oregorger, grull, kromog). In this scenario you can use Power word: Shield.

The best place to fit PW:S in dotweaving is before step 12 in dryes guide. After this you should cast DP, then MB is ready, so cast it and a full insanity and finish with last MB.

Also if your last insanity fails, dont spike the dots. Just continue casting mind flay you already started and spike when the dots are at 1s, or use the shield there.
    Last edited by mmoc8a27148bc4; 2015-04-21 at 12:36 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Shingaru View Post
    Hi Drye, i am long time reader of your posts and thanks for this. really appreciate your help to the community.

I have one question, regarding the last steps of the dotweave 4 piece. after casting the second DP, i use insanity for 2 ticks, the MB, then insanity for 2 ticks but when i try and refresh the buff has fallen off and i end up casting Mind flay.

this has resulted in me using a full cast of insanity and spiking off the remaing 2secs of SWP and VT. Which i feel is not optimal.
    its probably to do with my haste and latency. but anything you can suggest to help me fit in the last insanity cast before the final MB?

14. Mind Blast (2 Orb)
    15. Full Insanity Cast
    16. Mind Spike
    17. Mind Blast (3 Orb)

Alena from Kazzak EU

Thanks again.
    How I handle 4pc dotweave. Probably not perfect but makes me happy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPHqz9HTQLI , use a custom lag tolerance in the interface if you need.

Good job on the guide, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingaru View Post

14. Mind Blast (2 Orb)
    15. Full Insanity Cast
    16. Mind Spike
    17. Mind Blast (3 Orb)

Alena from Kazzak EU

Thanks again.
    You're missing something the only time that should happen is while lusted.

Hey, really pretty site, like the style and the feels, just a question:

You want to make sure you don’t have dots up on your main target that you are casting Shadow Word: Death on your target below 20%. It’s a dps loss to Shadow Word: Death more than two times on your target if they have dots on them. Try to time it so this doesn’t happen.
    What does that means? (just bellow Execute Priority List)

Suppose its heroic grul, theres 1 target, when i reach execute i should not dot him anymore and just keep casting devouring plague, mind blast and death?

Deleted
    Drye is the real deal. You'd do well to heed his advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Oscar View Post

Suppose its heroic grul, theres 1 target, when i reach execute i should not dot him anymore and just keep casting devouring plague, mind blast and death?
    If you are COP then yes, you should never cast dots on the boss when he is below 20% hp with the exception of DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Oscar View Post

When playing CoP, your dots reduce the dmgfrom SW. So you want to make sure when going into execute phase that you don't dotweave that long into it. Like, you don't want to start a dotweave rotation at ~21%, but you also don't want to spike off your dots if you're only only to get one set of SWs in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome guide. Quick question though. Most guides will say something like "if you're using insanity, it has a higher priority than VT, even for main target". In your guide you have VT as higher for main target(s), than Insanity (if talented). Just making sure this is correct and not just in a different position on the guide

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    I just wanted to post this here since I keep getting pms asking about where my guide went/is. I made a new guide on Summonstone.com, http://www.summonstone.com/priest/shadow/#tab-id-1, If you have any concerns or think something should be added please let me know on the summon stone forums or post here. Thanks!
    Son you're a beauty. Gave it a read, nothing missing. Cheers

Your son Ry
    Hydrogen the Undying
    Ry, Hellscream's Downfall
    Economics, Champion of Ulduar
    Dissonance - We raid mornings and stuff. Dissonanceguild.com (US 186, US #3 morning guild)
    Twitter: Ry_walk. Economics Major

Quote Originally Posted by Ryerson View Post
    Son you're a beauty. Gave it a read, nothing missing. Cheers

Your son Ry
    Thanks, bae!

Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    After orb generators, before fillers. Will update. Thanks.
    Was this updated? still seems its only in the opener.
    Just started a shadow alt so learning the ropes. What is the recommended spec when just starting, CoP?

Every time I see the name Drye my first reaction is that It's Doctor Ye, Kanye West's medical alter-ego.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome and easy to understand guide! I have only once now tried Auspicious Spirits on raid, and that went down horribly...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aamu View Post
    Awesome and easy to understand guide! I have only once now tried Auspicious Spirits on raid, and that went down horribly...
    Don't give up on it, I felt the same way with AS and how awkward it was to transition from the CoP style. It was particularly difficult to get used to a cast time on Mind Blast, since that was when I was mentally programmed to move. I'm sure my first few runs using AS had really low MB casts because of that, plus needing more crit. I really think they need to build some +Crit into the AS talent or else it will not be viable. Any tier that is hard to get crit gear will spell doom for AS, a talent should not require specific gear.