Deleted

need Disc healing advice

Hello. Im one of few healers (discipline priest) on our casual raiding guild. Our curent progress is 7/10 mythic BRF. Here's what bothers me: I'm to low on healing/absorbing . When i compare myself with other discs, they do much more hps. I cannot say that i dont have gear, i do. Almost evrything is BiS brf mythic. Have few diferent types of trinkets to use also (depending on fight). Yesterday we killed operator (logs of healing https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...m#type=healing) and my hps was rly low compared with this https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...pec=Discipline ... Discipline. Fact that our fight taked rly long might have influence i think, but still there is priests who do almost 50% more hps than i did with same fight length. Can someone take a look at my logs and tell me what am i missing? Is that an uptime of AA, or an uptime of PW:S on tanks, or am i useing penance wrong, maybe wrong trinket setup? Ty for answers!
    Last edited by mmoc3bb38a00b8; 2015-04-17 at 07:56 AM.

Deleted
    Dont focus to much on healing numbers and ranks. Many top disc ranks are made by the raid to let them rank, wether thats underhealing or taking more damage to heal. That doesn´t mean you can´t improve ofcourse, but if you kill bosses without having healing problems you shouldn´t worry to much. If you want to rank higher then try make your guild underheal bosses. But since you are still progressing in BrF Mythic i wouldnt suggest this.

From your logs i can see you have very low PoH casts. I haven´t done Thogar yet but try to cast PoH with EAA when there is enough damage going out or to pre shield groups. You also seem to use solace but very little penance casts wether defensive or offensive, i think that could be more. Your AA uptime could also be better, there seem to be alot of gaps where you hold it, try pop it on cd and never hold it too long, this will improve you by alot.

Deleted
    You're doing more than fine, in the log you linked.

We 4 heal thogar, and no1 never ends up above 50k, there is simply not enough damage for us to do so.

I suggest you use clarity of will on thogar though, there is not much raid damage on that fight.

Deleted
    Going through the same problem!
    It's ridiculous how some discs can do between 10 to 20k hps more than I can on the same fight, same ilvl and around same group size... I mean, I hardly blink or breathe, and still I'm long ways from getting to those numbers.
    Wish i could link some logs, but since i'm new to posting, I'm not allowed to.
    If anyone can be bothered, please check Gödsmack on EU Draenor, April 17th's full run and provide some feedback. Would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by teamxr View Post
    Going through the same problem!
    It's ridiculous how some discs can do between 10 to 20k hps more than I can on the same fight, same ilvl and around same group size... I mean, I hardly blink or breathe, and still I'm long ways from getting to those numbers.
    Wish i could link some logs, but since i'm new to posting, I'm not allowed to.
    If anyone can be bothered, please check Gödsmack on EU Draenor, April 17th's full run and provide some feedback. Would be most appreciated.

Cheers
    -Some of your fights your AA uptimes is low, some fights VERY low (2-4 casts). Try to pop it on cd and not hold it to long.
    -At times you are casting PoH without EAA (since you got more PoH casts then AA casts).
    -You are hard casting PoM, its better to just shield more, the cast time is to long and doesn´t heal for alot often.
    -You are specced solace but cast it way too little, either track it and start casting it on cd or go mindbender (and dont forget to cast that)
    -Cascade casts can be better.

Dont know if i missed something but rest you seem to do fine. Like i stated above dont worry to much about numbers, as people who are high on ranks have to raid adjust so they can rank higher.

As long as you are pulling your weight, bosses die and people aren´t dying from lack of heals, numbers really dont matter that much . If you want to rank then you have to tell your raid to underheal stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2015-04-20 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the input.
    This served as a good example raid to make me aware of what i'm doing wrong. I did notice the above mentioned issues with Solace and AA, and got working on a new set of weakauras to help improving on that.

And I want to improve, not because of ranks, but because I'm joining a new Guild to start my Mythic progression, and I want to do well is all. And since I'm not the only Disc on the roster, I want to make sure I outperform the others to establish my spot.

Cheers

Deleted
    Ranking now a days has nothing to do with skill. If you want to get a rank #1 you need to scumbag, it doesn't prove anything beyond the fact that you can scumbag that 1 fight. Same goes for dps. Despite method being #1 in the world, you don't see their whole team holding the rank 1# on warcraftlogs.

It's not that I don't get the point, don't get me wrong, I understand why you would like to achiev the same healing as the top logs. But at the end of the day, you either focus on ranking, or killing the boss, these 2 things doesn't go hand in hand.

Deleted
    Yes, I absolutely have to agree with what Tekc said.

Holding a rank 1 as a Healer in no way proves you are good, tho many people do mistake it as a factor for a quality healer...

To be honest, ranks do happen a lot through progress of fights for me for example. I just do my job, and I heal whats needed, and it turns out I end up in top 5 for few weeks. Anyhow, it is probably the most competative to rank as Disc Priest, however as Holy I have a hard time ranking on mythic clears as our Disc is trying to rank...not really standing much of a chance there, but in all honesty I never really understood why people want to rank as healers, it is not my taste to go after that.

You can just put some spaces in the link

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorthriel View Post
    Thanks for the hint let me try that

Basically I would like feedback on what im not doing correctly.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Tried putting spaces.. let me post a few more times

- - - Updated - - -

Well ill try to post later..dunno how many posts i need to do in order to put up a link...but....

You just change: Warcraftlogs.com
    To:
    Warcraftlogs DOT com

Or something similar to that, it should work regardless of how many times you've posted
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Tekc View Post
    You're doing more than fine, in the log you linked.

We 4 heal thogar, and no1 never ends up above 50k, there is simply not enough damage for us to do so.

I suggest you use clarity of will on thogar though, there is not much raid damage on that fight.
    At that point they would be sniping the hapllies heals, kind of bad to do that.

I can see some pretty glaringly big problems.

1) Your uptime on AA is pretty low, should be using that almost on CD.
    2) You're running CoW on fights that don't need to have CoW. Your uptime on CoW is terribly low as well.
    3) I can't find Power Infusion in the logs, which means you aren't running it (bad), or didn't use it (worse).
    4) On Kromog you only had 9 casts of PW:Solace. That's horribly low. On that fight it should have been at the most 28 casts, provided you cast it on the pull.

That's what i noticed from a cursory look.

Hi All

I am looking for some helpful info to help me see what I am missing in my rotation, or anything else that might improve my overall Healing
    Currently we are 8/10 on BRF and I recently switched to my disc priest. Any help on what I am doing incorrectly woukld be greatly appreciated

Here are the latest Logs from BRF Normal

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=13

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Lorthriel; 2015-04-27 at 10:44 PM. Reason: new info

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    At that point they would be sniping the hapllies heals, kind of bad to do that.
    It's just as bad sitting on your hands doing nothing. Who cares if he's "sniping" the hpallies healing; the hpally might not be able to cover a spike, and as long as there's nothing to heal / shield up for on the raid, there's really no better use of his time. CoW is fairly cost effective aswell, so it's not like you're expending huge amounts of mana just to snipe heals. I mean, what about shielding when there's no damage; should he not do that either because he's just sniping druid/monk/shaman healers healing? There's nothing on that fight that can even remotely 1 shot, so all of it can be taken care of fairly efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    It's just as bad sitting on your hands doing nothing. Who cares if he's "sniping" the hpallies healing; the hpally might not be able to cover a spike, and as long as there's nothing to heal / shield up for on the raid, there's really no better use of his time.
    Here's the thing - holy paladins are *designed* and *incentivized* to be able to deal with tank spikes. Between clemency, LoH, beacon refunds on FoL and the fact that they can heal the tanks even if they so much as sneeze there's no reason why you should barge into their territory aside from assisting them with a PW:S or defensive Penance cast during periods of high damage.

Also, there's always something better to do with his time - generate AA stacks to prepare for the next raid damage mechanic or precast PoM. Currently there are no fights in BRF outside of Thogar and Iron Maidens where the damage interval is large enough that you run out of PW:S targets or have that much time to generate the required AA stacks and sit on your hands.

CoW is fairly cost effective aswell, so it's not like you're expending huge amounts of mana just to snipe heals.
    And you completely missed the point that it's not about the mana cost, it's about completely invalidating the purpose of running a holy paladin.

You are also not doing it consistently, so the holy paladin doesn't know when you are going to run off and pad on the raid instead.

I mean, what about shielding when there's no damage; should he not do that either because he's just sniping druid/monk/shaman healers healing? There's nothing on that fight that can even remotely 1 shot, so all of it can be taken care of fairly efficiently
    Right, it's almost like people don't fuck around on farm and do everything perfectly that the health buffer from absorbs aren't useful anymore. Or that raiding guilds still progressing on mythics are of remotely comparable standards to the guilds which have cleared it months before. Or even better yet, tanks apparently get one-shot more than dps and healers(not that a long cast is ever going to stop a tank from dying if it isn't projected a year beforehand).

Some people are just so out of touch of reality that it shows when they hand out their opinions based on their myopic understanding of the little well they live in. "Oh I don't have a problem, so it must be true that the less endowed and progressed guilds than us don't have problems as well duhhhh."
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-04-27 at 03:53 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Here's the thing - holy paladins are *designed* and *incentivized* to be able to deal with tank spikes. Between clemency, LoH, beacon refunds on FoL and the fact that they can heal the tanks even if they so much as sneeze there's no reason why you should barge into their territory aside from assisting them with a PW:S or defensive Penance cast during periods of high damage.
    That's borderline retarded. Disc priests are the second strongest tank healer because of absorbs, and there's no reason they should not be healing tanks during downtime, just because the paladins are "designed" for it. It shouldn't change how the paladin works in any way what so ever, and generally, the tank damage is high enough that unless you run double holy paladin, you're going to need external healing from other classes aswell.

Also, there's always something better to do with his time - generate AA stacks to prepare for the next raid damage mechanic or precast PoM. Currently there are no fights in BRF outside of Thogar and Iron Maidens where the damage interval is large enough that you run out of PW:S targets or have that much time to generate the required AA stacks and sit on your hands.
    Assuming you absolutely no stacks of AA and can precast PoM, you'll need to do 1x holy fire, 1x offensive penance and 2x smites to get to 5 stacks, and cast 1x PoM. Let's assume you run them all out, you can do a second PoM if you casted the first one by the end of it. The lulls in damage on the fight that was referenced (thogar) are usually much longer than that (random trains and general downtime moments outside of running through flamethrowers/man at arms).
    Also, just to make this clear, the fight in reference was Thogar. Sure, you never have time to heal the tank on Kromog because there's constant stone breaths going out, but that wasn't the fight in question.

And you completely missed the point that it's not about the mana cost, it's about completely invalidating the purpose of running a holy paladin.

You are also not doing it consistently, so the holy paladin doesn't know when you are going to run off and pad on the raid instead.
    How should that matter? Paladins healing done to the tanks are mostly passive from Beacon - they don't give a shit if the disc is actively healing the tank or not. It just means they don't have to go and flash/bomb the tank up in health as often and can keep doing their thing and generate HP to add more EF's to the raid.
    As for invalidating the purpose, that's just fucking bullshit. If the disc occasionally spending their globals healing the tank because there's nothing else to do invalidates bringing a holy paladin, then that was a wasted spot to start with and you might aswell drop a healer.

Right, it's almost like people don't fuck around on farm and do everything perfectly that the health buffer from absorbs aren't useful anymore. Or that raiding guilds still progressing on mythics are of remotely comparable standards to the guilds which have cleared it months before. Or even better yet, tanks apparently get one-shot more than dps and healers(not that a long cast is ever going to stop a tank from dying if it isn't projected a year beforehand).
    What kind of farm do you do? I can assure you that people don't give a shit about how they do on farm except for numbers, and we do stupid-as-fuck shit aswell. Take this week, we 3 healed most fights to let the healers have their fill of fun. Progress kills are usually WAY cleaner for us untill we heavily overgear stuff.
    Likewise, we run alt raids where people have to run completly new roles or classes anyway, which gives a comparable experience to what you say; you'd be surprised how few people can quickly readjust to an entirely new role or class.

The health buffer is usefull if damage is comming - but holy shit, he was talking about THOGAR. There's periods of +30 seconds of nothing but tank dmg happening, and you might aswell builds shields on the tanks to prepare for when dmg picks up again.

Some people are just so out of touch of reality that it shows when they hand out their opinions based on their myopic understanding of the little well they live in. "Oh I don't have a problem, so it must be true that the less endowed and progressed guilds than us don't have problems as well duhhhh."
    You can't be serious. Just because you don't like to use clarity of will does not mean it's a bad thing to do during downtime. You do it yourself with PW:S - taking your best thogar log where a Paladin was present as an example:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...9&type=healing

About 44% of your healing was done to the tanks and yourself, through virtue of standing in absolutely all of the grenade pulses (guessing you were trying to whore HPS). When there's no paladin, you do about 2-3% more to the same 3 targets, meaning you essentially didn't change healing style.
    How does this make any more sense than using CoW instead of PW:S to layer the tanks? Taking one of the fights where you use COW as an example,
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&source=4 your PW:S hits for an average of 67.5K per, and your CoW for 117.3K. Manacosts are 3840 and 5040, respectively. It's clearly far more mana effective to cast, even when overhealing is considered; it can also stack in preperation for damage (thus meaning smooth tank switches and safety against bursts), which PW:S can't.

And just for comparisons sake our Disc uses CoW for most fights because it's the "safer" bet for the raid; adding a little meaningless (in your best thogar log, about 5%) healing from PoM compared to being able to step in as a proper tank healer if needs be is extremely valueable; for progress and farm (where people play their worst) both.

In the end, the more healers you run, the better COW should be, because the more random AOE healing you have going around, causing PoM to cause higher overhealing. Discs aren't great raid healers after-the-fact, only beforehand. You're better off sniping extremely low health targets with PW:S and heal the tank during heavy damage, and let your resto druid/shaman/mistweaver go nuts with AOE healing; They can't do tank healing, and as long as there's a health deficit, they're as good if not better than disc on raid healing. Whether you have a paladin or not is irrelevant; you do what fits the raid best. In most cases that won't be spamming PW:S when there's no damage comming, sorry to say.

Wouldn't it be better to NOT run CoW on thogar when you have a holy paladin and spend that time that your aren't healing putting extra DPS on the boss? Seems like a more useful way to spend your mana rather than making the paladin's numbers look like shit. I get what your saying, and its purely preference if you want to run CoW or WoM every fight, it honestly doesn't matter (except for gruul).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to NOT run CoW on thogar when you have a holy paladin and spend that time that your aren't healing putting extra DPS on the boss? Seems like a more useful way to spend your mana rather than making the paladin's numbers look like shit. I get what your saying, and its purely preference if you want to run CoW or WoM every fight, it honestly doesn't matter (except for gruul).
    If you have big downtimes where you have time to actively dps, then the common approach would be to drop a healer and bring a dps instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekc View Post
    If you have big downtimes where you have time to actively dps, then the common approach would be to drop a healer and bring a dps instead.
    Normally, yes. Thogar is one of those fights that its difficult to do that because when the damage comes the raid gets hit like a truck and that extra healer makes or breaks it.