Need Holy Advice - logs included

Hello!

I have been a disc priest since I started healing in Wrath. The only time I've actually played Holy was to get the "You're Doing It Wrong" achievement in the proving grounds (Chakra: Chastise ftw!).

I have been healing more and more for my raiding group lately and I've noticed that, as we get into more difficult content, having two disc priests is starting to become a weakness. Tonight we had a holy paladin, another disc priest, and me (I'm Shâdöw), so we were especially lacking on raid heals. I switched to Holy for our normal Blast Furnace attempts to try it out, and I'd really appreciate it if someone who is more experienced than me as a Holy priest (that is, anyone who has done more than 2 fights EVER as a holy priest) could give me some pointers before I develop any bad habits.

Thanks!

I was disc for Hanz/Frans and Beastlord so ignore that. I'm linking a warcraftlogs log and a mr robot log.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...3&type=healing

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combat...ort/11#v=1,d=1

Here's my armory, but note I'm not enchanted/gemmed for Holy at all (although I do have a crapton of gear that has multistrike on it anyway). It's mostly a rough combination of my old Shadow gear and my disc gear.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%B6w/simple

Thanks...again!
    Last edited by Lamortykins; 2015-04-17 at 06:54 AM.

It is not that bad at all.

Some notes/ideas for improvements:
    * Did you refresh your lightwell ? It seems it a bit low
    * Since you have the 2pc bonus and you use PI only once, you could use Divine Insight instead. Especially since you use H/FH/POH a fair amount of time, otherwise use PI twice. If you are still in progression content (lot of people in low life) TOF is better than both other in my opinion
    * Since you have a disc and HP in your raid, you should not have to use FH/Heal that much, Renew/Pom/COH would be more efficient
    * You DH usage is a bit low. Try to put one for the first big AOE (depends on the order of the mounts) and a second one during the last phase (no mount)
    * You can forget Holy Word sanctuary, it's a waste of mana

But considering the stuff and your experience, that is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by wichtounet View Post
    It is not that bad at all.

Some notes/ideas for improvements:
    * Did you refresh your lightwell ? It seems it a bit low
    * Since you have the 2pc bonus and you use PI only once, you could use Divine Insight instead. Especially since you use H/FH/POH a fair amount of time, otherwise use PI twice. If you are still in progression content (lot of people in low life) TOF is better than both other in my opinion
    * Since you have a disc and HP in your raid, you should not have to use FH/Heal that much, Renew/Pom/COH would be more efficient
    * You DH usage is a bit low. Try to put one for the first big AOE (depends on the order of the mounts) and a second one during the last phase (no mount)
    * You can forget Holy Word sanctuary, it's a waste of mana

But considering the stuff and your experience, that is quite good.
    Thanks! I think not using PI/lightwell/DH on cooldown is just cuz I haven't developed those habits yet..I actually didn't use cascade once during the fight, which is weird because I usually use all the time as disc. I guess I just don't have any muscle memory for holy yet lol.

Thank you for the advice!
    Last edited by Lamortykins; 2015-04-17 at 04:24 PM.

Well, for someone who plays in Sanctuary, you have too many casts of Flash Heal and Heal. They're more commonly used by priests in Serenity, or at the very least ones that spec into Surge of Light. 3 HW: Sanctuaries is also 3 too many, it's just not worth the mana/GCD at all. You should recast Lightwell when it's down - it's the most mana efficient heal in the game, is smart and passive so it's very worthwhile. Wouldn't recommend blowing your Hymn whenever because your RL might ask you to save it for some mechanic - but if not, use it at your judgment.

I'd rethink your talent and glyph choices if I were you. Wouldn't suggest Divine Insight if you're not running double-regen trinkets since it'll hit your mana pool very hard. Twist of Faith is generally much better for progression. Buuuuut PI goes well with Mindbender, so it's a tough call. If you're having mana issues, definitely go PI/Mindbender, but otherwise I think ToF is the best choice here. Same goes for glyph of Binding Heal - the spell should almost exclusively be used in Serenity, and if you're gonna stay in Sanctuary I recommend you glyph CoH. That'll also take a toll on your mana pool, but I think it's worthwhile and not as punishing. Also recommend reenchanting your cloak and regemming your trinket - in fact, it's great that you got a mythic trinket, but holy benefits a lot more than other healers (like disc) from spirit, so you should consider having 2 spirit trinkets if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Well, for someone who plays in Sanctuary, you have too many casts of Flash Heal and Heal. They're more commonly used by priests in Serenity, or at the very least ones that spec into Surge of Light. 3 HW: Sanctuaries is also 3 too many, it's just not worth the mana/GCD at all. You should recast Lightwell when it's down - it's the most mana efficient heal in the game, is smart and passive so it's very worthwhile. Wouldn't recommend blowing your Hymn whenever because your RL might ask you to save it for some mechanic - but if not, use it at your judgment.

I'd rethink your talent and glyph choices if I were you. Wouldn't suggest Divine Insight if you're not running double-regen trinkets since it'll hit your mana pool very hard. Twist of Faith is generally much better for progression. Buuuuut PI goes well with Mindbender, so it's a tough call. If you're having mana issues, definitely go PI/Mindbender, but otherwise I think ToF is the best choice here. Same goes for glyph of Binding Heal - the spell should almost exclusively be used in Serenity, and if you're gonna stay in Sanctuary I recommend you glyph CoH. That'll also take a toll on your mana pool, but I think it's worthwhile and not as punishing. Also recommend reenchanting your cloak and regemming your trinket - in fact, it's great that you got a mythic trinket, but holy benefits a lot more than other healers (like disc) from spirit, so you should consider having 2 spirit trinkets if you can.
    Okay! The crit gem is a remnant of my auspicious spirits spec and I use that same cloak for Disc so I'm still trying to decide how to balance the two specs.

I usually use power infusion, I just logged out with Divine Insight. But I do have a question; does Divine Insight become more worthwhile with the t17 4 piece? The serendipity stacks from PoM would allow more frequent casts of PoH and the more frequent casts of PoH would proc divine insight, which would give more serendipity stacks, etc. It seems like they'd compliment each other.

Also, would the spirit weapon enchant be preferable to the multistrike enchant? I'm generally skeptical of throughput-based trinket procs for healers because they're completely unreliable, and the multistrike enchant would be the same way.
    Last edited by Lamortykins; 2015-04-17 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamortykins View Post
    I usually use power infusion, I just logged out with Divine Insight. But I do have a question; does Divine Insight become more worthwhile with the t17 4 piece? The serendipity stacks from PoM would allow more frequent casts of PoH and the more frequent casts of PoH would proc divine insight, which would give more serendipity stacks, etc. It seems like they'd compliment each other.
    Definitely, but I'd still avoid it if you're not comfortable with your regen. DI, like a lot of other priest talents, is a bit bugged, making PoM cost more mana than it actually does, so it's even more expensive than you'd expect. It's my talent of choice for a lot of fights (IM, H/F, Flamebender, Gruul, Thogar, etc), but I've got a lot more regen than you. See what works, really. The way I categorize that tier is:

ToF - Best/medium throughput, medium mana consumption
    DI - Medium/best throughput, high mana consumption (Medium throughput where ToF is best, and vice versa)
    PI - Lowest throughput, least mana consumption

So you really need to see what you're looking for in that tier. DI indirectly becomes less mana-intensive with the 4-piece because while it doesn't itself cost less mana, it saves you mana on other spells (PoH/Heal).

Quote Originally Posted by Lamortykins View Post
    Also, would the spirit weapon enchant be preferable to the multistrike enchant? I'm generally skeptical of throughput-based trinket procs for healers because they're completely unreliable, and the multistrike enchant would be the same way.
    I'm also not a fan of throughput procs for healers, so I've got mine enchanted with spirit. If you feel like you have too much spirit with the enchant, I'd keep the enchant and replace the cloak/ring/necklace with something that hasn't got spirit.

I also made this thread to help holy/discs in BRF, wouldn't hurt to take a look.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2015-04-17 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Thanks so much!

Okay, there's actually quite a few things that i'm noticing. I'm going to use your 12 minute blast furnace log as reference since its a relatively good fight to evaluate healers (to some extent) even if it didn't result in a kill. Link: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&source=8

I'm not going to organize this shit into paragraphs so im just going to list them:

1.As thirteen said, you're casting flash heal way more than you should for someone who isn't running sol. However, I disagree with him on heal being a poor choice in sanctuary chakra. You should be casting heal with the serendipity you gain from your 4pc -far- more than poh outside of phase 3

2. Following up on the previous point; you made liberal use of flash heal yet didn't cast guardian spirit once the entire encounter (which is especially potent on a guardian druid due to their self healing).If a tank is low enough to justify dumping a couple 6.6k mana casts of flash heal, you should have several gs casts in there as well.

3. Cooldown usage. Very poor. In the 11 minutes that you were alive, you casted:
    - Power infusion twice out of a potential five times. I disagree with thirteen, on holding either one of these cds (or going to great lengths anyways) so they coincide with eachother; however, it can be potent when paired with lightwell (haste directly increases lightwell's throughput). It seems like you're holding power infusion like its a cd to hold for when you desperately need it but this is a very flawed notion. Unless your drastically overhealing and there's really no throughput to be done (which you weren't), you should only be holding it for no more than 30-45 seconds or so.
    -Lightwell. Is a powerful spell. you used it twice in 12 minutes (and didn't cast it until 4 minutes, although i assume you casted it before the pull), this is absurd. once again, you seem to think its a cooldown to hold onto. This isn't the case in blast furnace, the damage is constant and consistent. There's absolutely no reason for you to not have four casts. If you have trouble remembering to use lw on cd make a wa, this is a huge reduction in your healing.
    -You didn't use a level 90 talent. With cascade being bugged and all, its true that their potency is diminished by not running sol (halo and ds will almost always proc twice if you use it in a good situation). Still, im sure you could have found one moment two use a good halo in the encounter.
    -Your mindbender usage is pretty good, no complaints there

4. Your usage of prayer of healing, was quite frankly, abysmal. With 8 casts, you averaged under 80k healing per cast. This is one of the reasons why you managed to run out of mana in 7 minutes (before phase 3 even happened) along with your fol usage and your disturbing lack of spirit gear. Unless you are properly itemized for a healthy amount of spirit (on every accessory+a regen trinket like chewtoy or candle) you should not be casting this spell at all unless you are riding on an excess of mana or the situation is really dire. Once you have more regen and want to use the spell more, make sure that you set up groups for melee/ranged so it hits everyone, and prioritize it on melee groups. For blast furnace in particular, phase two is generally a bad time to use poh due to volatile fires forcing people out of the 30 yard range. Phase three, however, is as close as you can get to perfect pohs.

5. You should spend all of phase 1 in serenity chakra even if you're inexperienced. It's really mostly tank damage, and the blasts are infrequent enough for holy prisms, etc, to take care of the raid healing. You should come out of phase 1 with 90-95% of your mana.

6. You didn't cast pom once, which leads me to believe that you don't have your two piece yet. Nonetheless, you should still be casting it essentially on cd on this fight, you'll get full value from all 5 charges and its still higher throughput than renew.

TLDR: use your cooldowns and pretty much only cast renew, pom, and coh until you get more spirit. You shouldn't be running out of mana before you hit phase 3
    Last edited by Kenyans; 2015-04-20 at 02:17 AM.