7+ Year Old Account

Question New to Raiding as Enhancement: Ancestral Swiftness vs Echo of the Elements

Hey, I've always wanted to play Enhancement and recently got the opportunity to play one! I'm really excited and have been working hard over the past week or so to gear up but have a question I can't find an answer to. Because haste is so important for us, should I take Ancestral Swiftness for the passive haste boost until I get better gear? I guess I'm a little conflicted as to whether or not I think the extra Stormstrikes/Lava Lashes/Fire Novas from EoE will do more damage over the course of a fight than the damage I'd be able to do with the extra haste from AS. I will likely skip LFR altogether and jump right into Highmaul Normal/Heroic followed by BRF Normal/Heroic, so I need to be able to squeeze every ounce of damage out of this guy as I can so that I don't have to be carried too hard. The reason I'm aiming to bypass LFR is because I'll likely be having gear just funneled to me to catch me up, so there's no need for me to go through the motions with LFR.

Disclaimer: My gear is not great at all, but I've optimized it as best I can. My neck, weapons, and trinkets are dogshit and I'm aiming to replace them as fast as is humanly possible. I've had literally zero luck with getting weapons to drop from heroics and as stated above will likely be skipping LFR.

So which do you think would be the better talent to take until I can get more haste and at what haste percentage would you recommend swapping over to EoE if you recommend taking AS at all?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yrosh/advanced

note: if i've violated any rules by posting here please let me know. thanks!

Personally...just take Echo and watch as it gets faster with more haste than the 5% AS offers

When I switched to Echo (after it became useful) it felt clunky until I got used to it...and now it just feels the norm

Echo adds a lot of flexibility to the spec that I honestly wouldn't want to swap out now that I have played with it since they changed it. It provides great burst aoe and allows you to "unload" on things, making loss of uptime less impactful.

From what I read on this forum it is even simmed higher than AS on single target as well, so I would advice you to go echo.

Deleted
    I think AS and EoE sim very closely in single target but EoE provides more aoe potential so by default it kinda nudges AS out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all of the awesome answers! When I read that we needed to aim for 50% haste and saw that I'm at <20% buffed I was pretty concerned. I've been playing with EoE the whole time and really, really love the playstyle, but couldn't tell if I was losing out on DPS in the long run because of how little haste I had. You guys are great and I really appreciate all of the feedback!

I would suggest do LFR not for gear but for the legendary quest. It quick and easy without too much hassel.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by withoutaname View Post
    I would suggest do LFR not for gear but for the legendary quest. It quick and easy without too much hassel.
    Hm. That completely slipped my mind haha I hadn't even considered using LFR for the legendary. I'm kind of scatter brained right now because I'm so stoked haha Thanks for the great idea

Even though you didn't mention it as an option, Elemental Mastery is the stronger out of the 3.

As enhancements sustained damage output is rather weak, strenghtening your burst usually gives the best results.

(not trying to be "that guy", just tryna help as you didn't even mention elemental mastery.)
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Echo is like infinite times more fun to play with
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

EM might be slightly better than Echo if you play it perfectly, but Echo is in most situations, simply easier to use and provides higher consistent damage. I run Echo/UF for everything, and swap T7 talent for the fight. EF for maidens, LM for trains/darmac/flamebender/kromog, SET for the rest. Maybe LM for hans/Franz, but eh. Really doesn't make much of a difference.

I prefer AS play style but undoubtedly you will pull great numbers with EotE on trash and AoE heavy fights. I use AS on single target fights like Gruul, Orgorger etc, but on AoE fights I swap it out for EotE.

People will generally choose Echo or Elemental Mastery. Ancestral Swiftness is the redheaded stepchild of that tier. It's not bad, but there's no real instance where it would be superior to the other two options.

What makes Ancestral Swiftness a weak option is that half its benefit depends on having near-perfect boss uptime. 5% additional haste and attack speed is only worth anything if you're actively attacking something. Any fight where you may spend a few seconds or more out of melee range (basically all of them) is wasting the benefit of AS for that period.

So it goes full spectrum from a slight disadvantage (unable to attack during gruul shatter), to a marginal disadvantage (out of range time on hans&franz), to a really big disadvantage (running back from blackhand rafters, running with blackhand bombs p3), while not ever once having the upper hand on the other 2 talents.