Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • Yes

32 86.49%
  • NO

5 13.51%
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Would you do the same?

So last night me and my buddy where at a gas station filling up my cars tires. We both noticed this guy get out his car and start walking towards us and asks us "frantically" if he we could spare a dollar so he and his girlfriend could get home literally right down in the next town over. I know this girl as she works at a star bucks down the road. (i didn't know that at the time so that's sort of irrelevant) So this guy a total stranger asked me for a dollar so he could just put enough in his tank to get home. (He seemed like he was panicking)

My buddy was going to give him $2 so i gave him $3. The guy was really nice and seemed really thankful. He then pulls up his car and gets gas "he showed us his gas light was on" I don't know what happened leading up to this or why neither one had money for gas, But he was very friendly and i legitimately felt bad for this guy.

I'm no stranger to people asking for money normally i just look past those sorts of things, But my question is would you do the same? How would you deal with this?

After they got the gas the girl got out and told us whenever we are around that starbucks she would hook us up with free coffee, I mean that's cool and i appreciate the thought i didn't expect anything in return neither did my buddy we were just filling up our tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally if someone drives up to a gas station and asks for money there a far higher likelihood that it's legit compared to some random person on the street so I'd be more likely to help.

Deleted
    Of course I would help them. Why wouldn't I?
    Chances are that they really, really need it - and if they don't, congratulations on getting a few Euros from me by lying.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've had a lot of people ask me for gas money at gas stations and I've always responded the same way. I tell them "I don't carry around cash, but if you can show me your car, I'll fill it up for you." I have yet to have anybody show me their actual vehicle. Most of the time, they start mumbling something about it being down the road or at a different gas station as they start walking away from me. I will gladly help out anybody who needs it, but I don't trust anybody asking for cash.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    I've had a lot of people ask me for gas money at gas stations and I've always responded the same way. I tell them "I don't carry around cash, but if you can show me your car, I'll fill it up for you." I have yet to have anybody show me their actual vehicle. Most of the time, they start mumbling something about it being down the road or at a different gas station as they start walking away from me. I will gladly help out anybody who needs it, but I don't trust anybody asking for cash.
    This is basically how i was taught, In this case i saw his girlfriend in the car and watched him pull up so i figured it was justifiable, he originally asked us for $1 which made me think it's true. I mean a dollar would get you to where you need to go, I just figured $5 would be more helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

ill give them 5$ to go away, hows that?

O god im posting in Abominable's thread. Better prepare for a response in every page of this thread until everybody on mmo champ knows his opinion on the subject.

7+ Year Old Account
    If it was the situation you've described I definitely would. I don't my paying it forward. I've been in similar situations but if someone came up to me with no car as someone else mentioned I'd be asking where their car was. There are circumstances where doing something nice to help someone in need is rewarding
    (Kylan and Xanthe on Avalon, www.avalon-rpg.com, since 1996)

10+ Year Old Account
    I might put three bucks on their pump for them, dunno if I'd straight up hand them some money, but given that they were at the gas station, had a car and legitimately were low on gas, the odds are in their favor that they're legit.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Generally if someone drives up to a gas station and asks for money there a far higher likelihood that it's legit compared to some random person on the street so I'd be more likely to help.
    This. /10char
    ~RAWR!

Yes, I'd be willing to part with a few dollars, given the person isn't embracive.

Had a guy at a gas station ask for money once. Similar story, seemed to be almost in a panic, had to get to his brother's in a nearby town for some reason or another. Gave him six bucks. Don't really care if his sob story was legit or not. He took the money, bought six dollars worth of gas and then GTFO'd. That's really all I cared about in the first place.

NO! I'd hold out a one hundred dollar bill and light it up right in front his face, all while maintaining eye contact. I don't fucking drink coffee.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2015-04-19 at 05:20 AM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I can do it yes.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

normally id be suspicious of people who approach me asking for cash , and i dont carry any anyway, better to pay with credit cards. but if some1 pulls up asking for gas i might give them a few litres worth if its a real emergency.

I'd go put the money on the pump for the guy if I was going to give him gas money.

If he showed me his vehicle and the fuel gauge to verify that yeah, he's low, then sure, I think I'd spot him a few bucks. If he can't do that, then he's out of luck; I'm not going to trust anyone who can't show any kind of proof for their claims or give some kind of BS story like "my car is just down the street."

Too bad you can't tell if the person is lying. I think in the OP's case the guy was truthful but a lot of the people who ask me for money are begging to get enough money so they can buy alcohol or drugs. If I knew that they were really going to buy a hamburger or get coffee I would give them the money but I suspect they run to the nearest liquor store and buy fortified wine or fortified beer.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Nope, people can get their own money.