Weak Aura Issue (Lost all my auras!)

Last night that all of my Auras had disappeared. Fortunately, I back up my WTF folder regularly so I tried to copy WeakAuras.lua from the back up. But whenever I launch WoW, it seems to overwrite the LUA file again and leave me with no auras.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any ideas on what to try?

You could try deleting the WeakAuras.lua.bak file as well, but honestly, I have literally never had this problem. Perhaps the issue is a corrupted aura in the file, and the version you restored from backup also contains the problem string? Try going further back in time, or bisecting the auras in there, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    You could try deleting the WeakAuras.lua.bak file as well, but honestly, I have literally never had this problem. Perhaps the issue is a corrupted aura in the file, and the version you restored from backup also contains the problem string? Try going further back in time, or bisecting the auras in there, or something.
    Yeah it's bizarre to say the least! I'll try digging up an older file. I dunno what could have happened. I haven't added any new auras in a long time.

You should enable the Lua errors in Interface/Help/Lua Errors and paste the error here.

I'll give that a try when I'm home, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

And just like that, the problem seems to have sorted itself out without me making any further changes. I tried copying the backup LUA file back into the WTF folder again (which I've probably done about a half dozen times before) and this time it didn't get overwritten by a blank file upon logging into my character.

...I'll count myself lucky and export my auras to strings in case it happens again in the future, but it could just be a fluke thing.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've often had my weakauras "delete" themselves when my pc crashes and what not, I usually just copy/paste the 4 WA files to my saved variables folder (that I back up now and then) and they work. Windows also has a fancy backup system to restore files if you have tried that.

Most likely you copied the saved variables file over while being logged in. That way it gets overriden with the actual data that was defunct when loggin out.

When you override saved variables files always log out of wow before that.