Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sw1tch View Post
    I believe (from what I recall), Arcane was at around 55k, fire at 54k, and Frost at 49k before these changes. Since this is about a 10% dps increase, that would put frost right next to them (for ST at least) around 53.5k-54K.

But yeah once the devs realize that Ice Lance isn't being used, it'll be fixed asap. This isn't one of those "oopsies" like double ignite stacking Inferno Blast. Ice Lance is a core part of Frost. It'll be fixed.
    Yeah I foresee a tuning of FB and FFB to 25% or maybe 20%, and buff Ice lance a bit to compensate. (if no other changes happen ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by patcherke View Post
    Yeah I foresee a tuning of FB and FFB to 25% or maybe 20%, and buff Ice lance a bit to compensate. (if no other changes happen ofc)
    This is what I would expect as well. They won't just give another flat Ice Lance (FoF-benefited) buff. That would put frost as a top performing spec by a noticeable amount. I could see a 15/15% buff to FB/FFB and then a 15% or 20% buff to ice lance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    Original post: http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1574

This is for 6.2 only

Hiya once again! This time again 'breaking' the standard rotation of mages as we like to do on altered-time!

6.2 changes for frost:
    - Frostfire Bolt now deals 30% more damage.
    - Frostbolt now deals 30% more damage.
    (source)

On first look, this simply looks like a pretty big buff to frost. However, when looked at in more detail, it actually raises a very interesting rotation for frost mages. Komma went and edited my frost spreadsheet from 6.0, with these buffs added in. Spreadsheet link

What this shows us is:
    - With unstable magic talented, not using ice lances at all is a DPS gain over using ice lances.
    - Even without unstable magic, it is a DPS gain to not use ice lances during glyphed icy veins.
    - Even with unglyphed icy veins, it is a DPS gain to not use ice lances during icy veins + bloodlust.

Keep in mind this is when not hitting prismatic crystal, you should still use ice lances during prismatic crystal. (or on 2 targets in general)

The more mastery and multistrike you get, the bigger the increase of not using ice lances.

This is for 6.2 only
    Hi - very interesting, but you should be aware that your math in the spreadsheet for BF Proccs is off.
    It isn't (0.1+(MS%*0.15)*2) instead it should read (0.1+(MS%*(1-MS%)*0.15*2)+(MS%*MS%*0.15*2)).

Doesn't change anything about the situation of course.

This isn't the first time that frost has started to use a no-IL rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylev View Post
    Hi - very interesting, but you should be aware that your math in the spreadsheet for BF Proccs is off.
    It isn't (0.1+(MS%*0.15)*2) instead it should read (0.1+(MS%*(1-MS%)*0.15*2)+(MS%*MS%*0.15*2)).
    Aren't those the same thing?

A * B * C == (A * (1 - A) * B * C) + (A * A * B * C)

10+ Year Old Account
    With today's changes that interesting spec change just got busted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Komman View Post
    Aren't those the same thing?

A * B * C == (A * (1 - A) * B * C) + (A * A * B * C)
    Goddamit - shouldn't try to be smart after a night on the town ! Carry on, nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    With today's changes that interesting spec change just got busted
    Yeah it did. I will admit though, I'm a little bit annoyed that they relocated the reverted (partially reverted) buff into the set bonuses instead of just making core frost stronger in some way.

So it looks like they went from a 30% buff to a 20% buff?

Final SP change

Frostbolt: 148.9% -> 178.7% _ 20.01% Increase

Frostfire Bolt: 134.8% -> 161.7% _ 19.96% Increase

So the 30% buff went to a 20% buff then I guess they figured the other 10% could go into a 40% buff to FFB with the 2 piece.

But i shouldn't care, this is probably the last tier in the expansion so the 2 piece will be with the spec until the next expansion gets released, which will have further balancing.
    Last edited by Sw1tch; 2015-04-29 at 08:18 PM.

The nerf hasn't really changed anything. Ice Lance can't proc BF, which means that the combo of FB+BF-FFB is still stronger than FoF-IL whenever a player uses Unstable Magic, or glyphed Icy Veins.

The spreadsheet has been updated to take 2T18 into account. The results haven't changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ i think it shows that they're trying to fix it though. so they'll eventually get the numbers tuned to make it worth casting per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    ^ i think it shows that they're trying to fix it though. so they'll eventually get the numbers tuned to make it worth casting per usual.
    Yep. And according to the patch notes, they just buffed FoF-IL by another overall 10%. Seems like ignoring Ice Lances won't happen after all!

Yeah again, Ice Lance is the core spell of Frost. They won't ever let it go without priority in the rotation, let alone not used at all.

With the 20% buffs to FB and FFB, and the 2 piece set bonus, AND the 10% IL buff....frost should be fairly competitive in the next tier (so far)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sw1tch View Post
    Yeah again, Ice Lance is the core spell of Frost. They won't ever let it go without priority in the rotation, let alone not used at all.

With the 20% buffs to FB and FFB, and the 2 piece set bonus, AND the 10% IL buff....frost should be fairly competitive in the next tier (so far)
    Failry competetive? If i'm not mistaken it the best Mage spec in 6.2 by far right now :P.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jetclive View Post
    Failry competetive? If i'm not mistaken it the best Mage spec in 6.2 by far right now :P.
    You would be mistaken, yes.

Cant underestimate fires cleave !

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    I don't know that I've seen anything that would confirm that. Frost is starting way behind the other specs with BRF gear (about 15% behind Arcane overall and about 20% behind Fire overall), and they did get a nerf to the proc rate for BF. Has anyone been running sims with the 6.2 stats yet?