10+ Year Old Account

GTX970 or SLI GTX 960

I built a computer back in February and I love the results. I chose the 960 because it best fit my budget and what I needed for WoW.

I still got the fever to keep upgrading. This is strictly about the Video Card.
    Having the current game Im playing in mind (GTA V PC) and for the future.

Should I SLI my current EVGA 960 SSC 2gb with another, or should I go through the hassle and sell my 960 ($150 maybe?) and buy a 970 4gb?

I don't want to drop that much for a 980. I would like to keep it in the EVGA 900 series family. Upgrading other components is not an issue for me regardless of my decision.

I like the idea and look of two 960's each with a little OC. I like how everything looks now, but I still got that scratch.
    Love my guildies, but where are my minions.
    [Intel i5 4690k CPU] [Asus Z97-AR Mobo] [EVGA GTX960-SSC GPU] [Crucial Ballistix 1600 8gb Memory] [Sound Blaster Zx Sound card]
    [Corsair Liquid Cooler] [EVGA Bronze 600watt Power supply] [Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, Western Digital 7200rpm Black HDD] [Logitech G105 Keyboard and G502 mouse] [Asus 24in 144hz LED Monitor and AOC 22in LED]

Go with the 970. You'll appreciate the extra memory in the long run.

You'll probably get a few AMD 290, etc recommendations. I just prefer Nvidia.

I don't think the upgrade from a 960 to a 970 right now, even for GTA V; you should be able to run on high at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can actually sell your 960 for a decent price I would definitely go for the 970 over a 960 SLI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ty for the reponses. I do get good results from the 960. I think I will do the 970 but going to hold off. If I see a 960 for sale like 100 bucks used. I might jump on that
    Love my guildies, but where are my minions.
    [Intel i5 4690k CPU] [Asus Z97-AR Mobo] [EVGA GTX960-SSC GPU] [Crucial Ballistix 1600 8gb Memory] [Sound Blaster Zx Sound card]
    [Corsair Liquid Cooler] [EVGA Bronze 600watt Power supply] [Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, Western Digital 7200rpm Black HDD] [Logitech G105 Keyboard and G502 mouse] [Asus 24in 144hz LED Monitor and AOC 22in LED]

Deleted
    A single 970 will be faster than SLI 960.

Deleted
    Honestly, if you have a gpu which will run the games you currently play, at the resolution you wish to play them, then do nothing.

Moore's law is strong in gpu's, delaying buying until you actually need the upgrade, will see you net the best performance for the money over time.

This is particularly the case if you currently use a 1080p panel, but at some point you may wish to change to 1440p. GPU memory and it's architecture has a greater bearing as you increase resolution. Another year will see the cards needed to run higher res panels coming down in price, I think this is what I would save my energy for, if I was currently looking at high end cards.

ed - Agree that the 970 will be quicker than sli960's.
    Last edited by mmoc2991fac950; 2015-04-19 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    A single 970 will be faster than SLI 960.
    Actually, SLI 960 is about 20% better in games that support it. I personally don't think 20% is worth the hassle of "starting out" with SLI (or sometimes at all), but sometimes it's easier just adding a second card, especially if you find one used.

Ill second Tetris on the ... it aint worth the hassle.

Its been kind of odd, but the number of big game releases that have shipped with good multi-GPU support has actually shrunk, and sometimes its taking 3-4 MONTHS to get multi-GPU support.

A fast single card solution is always the best choice unless you're at the top end and the only way to add performance would be to go multi GPU.