Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why do Goblins and Blood elves now meet Vol'jin instead of Garrosh?

I don't understand, - and it really bothers me. is this some technical limitation? it makes for weird story telling right. Thrall verbally mentions Garrosh hellscream, but now you get taen to Vol'jin...

why couldn't they simply just have Garrosh there, and phase him out to Vol'jin once you've completed the quests? The goblins join the horde before Deathwing is dead, you see deathwing fly over Mount Kaja, the cataclysm is happening and Thrall is on his wave to save Azeroth throughout the Kezan and Lost Isle quests, and Garrosh still plays a part then

I always assumed that you were questing through time, level 1-60 is cataclysm, 60-80 is messed up because they haven't sorted it out, and that's bad for continuity, 80-85 finishes the cataclysm story, it is at 85 that Panderia happens, which is why new Panderans start phased in time, to when the Cataclysm is occuring so they can join the factions they desire at that point in time.

For all earlier quests up to level 90, you should be seeing Garrosh in the seat, not Vol'jin in Orgrimmar, once you start the WoD quests or you complete the SoO raid, this is when you will see Vol'jin NPC on the seat.. is that hard to do? is there some technical limitation to it?

I don't think it works anyother way, you can't imagine the Goblin joining the horde after the cataclysm, when you go back to then do cataclysm quests...or are the cataclysm levelling quests supposed to be able to happen any time after deathwings death? actually no, cos it is Garrosh that is sending invasions into Ashenvale, STonetalon Mountain and it is Garrosh loyalists that you meet in the early quest chains characterized by gross over confidence and disregard for life of others.

Why Not Use Phasing?
    The way i had resolved the Blood elf issue, and Draenei/Worgen, was Blood elf/Draenei start back in time, pre-cataclysm , if you do Azuremyst/Bloodmyst quests and Eversong Woods/Ghostlands, you are doing them before the cataclysm events, even before the WotLk, in which case, the blood elf quest that takes you to Orgrimmar meets Thrall in Warsong hold, in fact, tbh, you should have the phased version of old Orgrimmar, once completed, you can enter the current version, but for everyone doing 1-90 quests it will be Garrosh they see, not Vol'jin.

Is this really hard to do technically? i don't like accusing blizzard of not caring, but isn't this un-necessarily sloppy? Why can't they simply arrange it such that if your new blood elf/Draenei doesn't want to do their own starting zones, and leaves to go elsewhere, have a dragon npc that takes them to the present so they are now in the cataclysm if they leave their starting zones. Or like the Goblin and Worgen starting zones do, lock them in to level 20. Tje Draenei quests don't send any special envoy to the alliance once you finish their quest that i see, not like the blood elf does, so in a sense they can happen in cataclysm time..but Kael'thas is mentioned in the quests, therefore they should be in phase.

You can give players the option to return to the past phase to finish those quests via a bronze dragon npcs, or just exclude them. like you do for Worgen/Goblins.

It Bothers Me
    They really should make a decision. I think they should allow Goblins/Worge, Draenei/Blood elves to leave their phase to go to other start zones, but make it clear to the player they are heading into the future - they can return to their start zones if they wish, but no they are being phased back in time. And yes, Draenei and Blood elves should be in that boat too otherwise it's just all over the place..

i mean it bothers me.. does it not bother you?

An oversight not important enough to make a change for.
    If you think otherwise, bring this to the attention of some blues.

You should learn some self control and not be bothered by trivial things.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

it confuses the hell out of new players, but it's not a thing the majority of players who don't forum post, who don't tweet would actually say.

yet it seems really bad/unprofessional. It really drives home and makes you feel that the whole warcraft thing is a pile of tosh - and the story is just an elaborate excuse/ruse rather than the thing that motivates you to play more.

I've never liked that about this game once they did the cataclysm, I'm like, you can't even try to at least make something plausible. But I still play, yet it's just one more thing that exasperates about the game, another thing to appreciate in another game that doesn't have that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    You should learn some self control and not be bothered by trivial things.
    Wrong diagnosis.

it's not a matter of self control, you notice a glaring in-consistency, it is neglect if you decide to be okay with it not lack of self control. Inconsistency should bother you, error should bother you. It doesn't drive me crazy though, but it annoys me, and puts me off. You live with it, but it's not good,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    it confuses the hell out of new players, but it's not a thing the majority of players who don't forum post, who don't tweet would actually say.

yet it seems really bad/unprofessional. It really drives home and makes you feel that the whole warcraft thing is a pile of tosh - and the story is just an elaborate excuse/ruse rather than the thing that motivates you to play more.

I've never liked that about this game once they did the cataclysm, I'm like, you can't even try to at least make something plausible. But I still play, yet it's just one more thing that exasperates about the game, another thing to appreciate in another game that doesn't have that issue.
    exactly!! it is unprofessional.. and it really stands out because of the really high standard they set, then you see this and you're like..wtf!? It's like a glaring bug, but this bug is not quest based not programming based.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually haven't made a new Horde character since Warlords of Draenor dropped, but I was definitely hoping that they would keep Vol'jin's appeaance as Warchief phased for level 90+ players, since otherwise it completely screws with the game's internal timeline. To find out that's not the case definitely bums me out.

The game's internal timeline was pretty much consistent, the only issues were Outland and Northrend.

I'm pretty sure this is only the beginning of glaring timeline plotholes to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Easily explained. Nanomachi... wait. Wrong series. Um, timey wimey shit while traveling to Org. There we go.

Try making a Horde Pandaren and seeing the friggin strangeness that occurs.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

At several points in the Death Knight or Panderan intro's to Ogrimmar both Vol'jin and Garrosh are in the throne room together and they both have the warchief title. It's really messed up but I guess they didnt want to phase stuff too much.

Deleted
    This is what happens when you have a storyline with tons of changes in a game where reflecting those changes is a technical dificulty.

Blood elves should be meeting with Thrall, not Vol'jin or Garrosh.

I am quite sure that they might just fix this kinda issue, but it will cost us a / raid tier / new battleground / new arena / new dungeons / or all of those.

phasing a city causes some really awkward interactions, especially if a player decides not to complete the particular quest. There were problems with that in the battle for the undercity as well. They probably thought this would be less confusing.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

It doesn't end there. Vol'jin also leads you through the Twilight Highlands quest chain now. He also surely introduces pandaren to the game -- I haven't confirmed that one though.

It's absolutely ridiculous and broken storytelling. Blizzard could easily phase out Vol'jin until level 90+. They simply choose not to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    I am quite sure that they might just fix this kinda issue, but it will cost us a / raid tier / new battleground / new arena / new dungeons / or all of those.
    Sounds about right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I don't understand, - and it really bothers me. is this some technical limitation? it makes for weird story telling right. Thrall verbally mentions Garrosh hellscream, but now you get taen to Vol'jin...

why couldn't they simply just have Garrosh there, and phase him out to Vol'jin once you've completed the quests? The goblins join the horde before Deathwing is dead, you see deathwing fly over Mount Kaja, the cataclysm is happening and Thrall is on his wave to save Azeroth throughout the Kezan and Lost Isle quests, and Garrosh still plays a part then
    Garrosh: Times change.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why? Because Blizzard doesn't care enough to fix it.

WoW lore has long be shot. It's has been dead and buried so long that it's starting to fossilize.

Protip: If you play WoW, don't bother with the story. It isn't important, Blizzard doesn't give a fuck about, so neither should you.

PS: Seriously, WoW's story is written like a kid's Saturday morning cartoon - not the good ones like Batman:TAS - and that's the level of story and characters you should expect.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Why? Because Blizzard doesn't care enough to fix it.

WoW lore has long be shot. It's has been dead and buried so long that it's starting to fossilize.

Protip: If you play WoW, don't bother with the story. It isn't important, Blizzard doesn't give a fuck about, so neither should you.

PS: Seriously, WoW's story is written like a kid's Saturday morning cartoon - not the good ones like Batman:TAS - and that's the level of story and characters you should expect.
    i don't wanna believe this, I wanna dismiss it as the ramblings of a scorned and obsessive fan -- it may be that , but i can't shake the feeling of truth in it, that calls me to question why the hell am i so emotionally invested in this ...? It's a load of crap.

bah.. they've shot themselves in the foot big time, and the funny thing is, they don't even realize it cos they don't think its important enough.. that's the real irony.. every time you really want to get into this genre, you see the inconsistency, the bugs so to speak in the story line, and quite fixable, you see both genius and art coupled with wtf..that just shoots you back to reality and drives home that it is all meaningless, and not that good entertainemnt..

why can't they be consistent? why can't they be thorough.. the difficult or rather rare bit is the genius to create and write out such a huge genius, why ruining it by obvious errors an 8 year old can spot...? it just takes away, and you're reminded every time you pick it up, eventually i guess you get tired and just give up.. and it bleeds the fun out of it.

pretty sure its a technical limitation or they felt the wear and problems it would cause with phasing in a capital city would be too taxing on the server for such a minor fix. But yes, the story died along with Arthas Menethil and the huge fuck up that was deathwing the MEGADARGON. game really hasn't been the same since, MoP was nice because it was completely new and there was no way metzen could fuck it all up, but then WoD happened, and he proved me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Why Not Use Phasing?
    Because if you'd played WoW long enough you know phasing isn't the answer to everything.

You'd be amused at how much it screwed up things in WotLK and Cataclysm, not the least of which how Alliance raids on Sylvanas could either be easier or incredibly difficult depending on how many people in the raid did the Battle for Undercity (and subsequently removed Varimathras from the throne room)