Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Garrosh Hellscream: "Watch your clever mouth, Bitch!"

Do you remember this? in the forsaken cata levelling zone? When I heard this, the way he said, Warcraft for that moment, took a giant leap forward in realism.

You are dealing with really intense situations, life ending, will breaking struggles, and some very unscrupulous people groups, it is so unrealistic that you don't see coarse language and gore a lot more often in some of those environments given the characters you are supposed to be playing and given what some of you are like, a verbal cesspit rolling off your tongues with every other word you speak.

but its the realism upgrade that caused, probably raised the ERSB rating a whole new level, makes me sometimes wish there was an adult pack, that had blood, dismemberment, gore, foul language, lewdness, sexual activity all part and parcel, you know, properly reflecting what some of these sitautions are actually like

it's part of my problem sometimes with video games and shows, they are showing really terrible acts, but not showing the consequences of them properly, nor the real horror of what they actually look like..it's bad, cos all players then see is the fun bits, winning, and not getting hurt when you do stupid things, not understanding the full risk , the real risk of waging war or doing vile acts.. voodoo becomes a nice interesting pastime, warmongering becomes fun because you win so easily and suffer no consequences.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah the old Garrosh. 1-70 Garrosh was a nice guy, 70-100 Garrosh had a change of writing and turned evil.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Ah the old Garrosh. 1-70 Garrosh was a nice guy, 70-100 Garrosh had a change of writing and turned evil.

I only remember the single instance in stormtalon. I don't remember anywhere else he was a nice guy.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I only remember the single instance in stormtalon. I don't remember anywhere else he was a nice guy.
    remember when he was a cry baby - Nagrand 62

what is up with blizzard and a string of dodgy characters? Me'dan, Garrosh, Varian - all seem to have missed the mark recently - and now even the good ol ones are getting really wonky - Jaina, Tyrande - lower calibre writers?

Deleted
    Yes, he almost killed the player in Ashenvale because the player was tricked by a warlock. Nice guy.

Daddy Grom on a bad day would still be much nicer that Garrosh on a good day.

Well, he was a rollercoaster of writing, but I did like how he turned out as a villain, and I am really, REALLY glad they did not do one of those dime a dozen redemption arcs with him. The fact that he was completely, and utterly, unrepentant made him great at the end. Though I do miss the idea of having him lead the entire horde to conquer more fertile lands.

I will say that while they did foreshadow his downfall through hubris, they could have made the transition better than they did.

But what can I say, I am a sucker for villains (Outside of Arthas and Sargaras, they never did much for me.) I will take a Kil'jaden, Gul'dan, Garrosh, Ner'zhul(The real Lich King), and N'zoth over a many of the hero's of this series.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thefinalwarden View Post
    Well, he was a rollercoaster of writing, but I did like how he turned out as a villain, and I am really, REALLY glad they did not do one of those dime a dozen redemption arcs with him.
    But it feel a bit boring that all "top" villains are fallen heroes, Ilidan, Arthas, Kael'thas, Deathwing if they are not the standard always evil demon or old god.

I will say that while they did foreshadow his downfall through hubris, they could have made the transition better than they did.
    Yes we all understand how Ilidan, Arthas, Kael'thas Deathwing fell, The road to damnation is paved with good intentions. But Garrosh, guided by honor (a strange and sometime unpleasant honor, but he did never broke with his honor in cataclysm) to lets try to be corrupted as fast I can.

My vision how Garrosh would play out is that he have a constant fear of him falling (get corrupted) and Sha wiser in his ear, telling him that his destiny are to fall, and trying to corrupt him, parts of the hoard is also falling under the corruption. To save the hord, he is wiling to sacrifice everything, his reputation, position body and soul. He pretend to accept the Sha, falling under there corruption, and doing everything to alienate the no Sha-follower in the hord, like trying to assassin Vol'jin, to ensure Vol'jin will lead a rebellion.

Then he collect the the Sha-followers and destroy Vale of Eternal Blossoms to ensure that everybody that is not a Sha-follower will turn at him, knowing that they and him will be destroyed in the siege of Ogrimar, and hence cleans the hord. He take on as much Sha corruption he can so it can die with him.

The player will not know the truth, but it will be hinted, why did Garrosh use only use one overconfident assassin agents Vol'jin, then his advancer ask him to send 3 to attack at the same time etc

After Garrosh is dead in siege of Ogrimar more hints is doped like he did send away is bodyguard, and Thrall (player) realize his plan, but have to keep there silence to have Garrosh as a warning example what happen if you let corruption take over you, and troops around speak about how dishonest and egoistical Garrosh was.

This idea was part inspired of the fate of Londo Mollari (Babylon 5) and Night hunter (Warhammer 40k)

Garrosh was the biggest missed opporturnity Blizzard had. He had so much potential for a character growth but failed to utilize it all because of being given for talentless hack writers of novels (Knaak) and WoW whom apparently got their entire writing team replaced after Ulduar's launch of any of the ToTC onwards through Cata story developements are to go by.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I was running a baby Druid through the Cataclysm revision of Shadowfang Keep, yesterday, and noticed that when you pull Lord Godfrey as a Horde character, he says:

"That bitch Sylvanas sent you too, did she? No matter, your journey ends in agony."

I tend to read quests and character conversations as I go along, and I think she's the only character I've seen referred to with such blatant profanity (more than once, too). It's really out of place, in my opinion, considering how tame the language is throughout most of the game.

I'm not saying that Sylvanas *isn't* one (she's better for it, really). And, no, swearing doesn't bother me in real life or in other games. Blizzard's tendency toward using cleverly-worded euphemisms rather than straight-up "going there" for even the most evil of characters in the game just made it come across as a bit forced and awkward, especially since it kept popping up in the same zone.

This has nothing to do with "feminism" or "mah sensibilities".
    Last edited by Skekayun; 2015-04-25 at 10:55 PM.

That's some real selective memory you've got going, there.
    TBC, Garrosh was a depressed emo with daddy issues.
    WOTLK, Garrosh was a hot-headed dick.
    Cataclysm, Garrosh was a hot-headed dick who had one instance of being a hot-headed dick to someone who actually deserved it.
    MoP, Garrosh was a hot-headed dick with delusions of grandeur.
    WoD, Garrosh was a hot-headed dick desperately trying to please daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    He had so much potential for a character growth but failed to utilize it all because of being given for talentless hack writers of novels (Knaak)
    Knaak had nothing to do with Garrosh. The one book of his he appeared in, he was acting literally the same way he was in the expansion they released almost a year earlier.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2015-04-19 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastnachts View Post
    I was running a baby Druid through the Cataclysm revision of Shadowfang Keep, yesterday, and noticed that when you pull Lord Godfrey as a Horde character, he says:

"That bitch Sylvanas sent you too, did she? No matter, your journey ends in agony."

I tend to read quests and character conversations as I go along, and I think she's the only character I've seen referred to with such blatant profanity (more than once, too). It's really out of place, in my opinion, considering how tame the language is throughout most of the game.
    you think? i'm surprised they did it, but, it's one of hte most realistic phrases, she really is a cunt that banshee Queen, but somehow in world of warcraft, you can slay thousands, kill repeatedly over and over again, not just the guilty, but the innocent also, do heinous acts, but, no, you just don't use profane words..it really is so phony

Duh, it's hinting of the upcoming expansion: World of Warcraft, Rise of the Bitch Queen.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account

She really is one of the most purely evil characters out of any faction leader. Well, other than Garrosh. But bad writing doesn't really count.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    remember when he was a cry baby - Nagrand 62

what is up with blizzard and a string of dodgy characters? Me'dan, Garrosh, Varian - all seem to have missed the mark recently - and now even the good ol ones are getting really wonky - Jaina, Tyrande - lower calibre writers?
    The old gods are slowly corrupting everyone on Azeroth afflicting those with power first. The last expac won't be vs Sargeras but we will fight the good titans as we will have been corrupted by the old Gods ourselves as we will hold all the power on the planet.

Deleted
    Wasn't there somebody here that claimed that this was rampant sexism and made tonnes of spam threads about it.

Garrosh was a great warchief, its really a shame that they turned him into a villain for the sake of pleasing the community who wanted Thrall as warchief (and to please the people who wanted Thrall gone, they made Thrall 2.0 aka Vol'jin warchief). The Horde needed the guy, he was obviously still flawed but they could've made scenarios where Garrosh and the other faction leaders started to trust each other and earn each others respect. Him suddenly turning evil felt incredibly forced, they could've made Sylvanas evil but the fanbase wouldn't be all to happy with that. I wouldn't be suprised if she was originally intended to be the main villain of MoP.

I'd take Garrosh over Thrall and Vol'jin any day.

I'm certainly not against profanity, but surely the writers can craft insults that are more subtle, backhanded, and damning than simply calling someone bitch/asshole/dick/cunt, etc., and which are much more entertaining and less dissonant in tone to the rest of the game.
    Last edited by Skekayun; 2015-04-19 at 08:57 PM.

Deleted
    I'm certainly not against profanity, but surely the writers can craft insults that more subtle, backhanded, and damning
    I didn't realise that Garrosh Hellscream was known for being subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    I didn't realise that Garrosh Hellscream was known for being subtle.
    He wasn't. He was a big, irritable orc with a lot of pride and anger management issues.

Technically, Garrosh's comment suited his character (and Lord Godfrey most definitely had a reason to condemn Sylvanas in Shadowfang Keep)--but it was out of place with the general tone of the language in the rest of WoW's character dialogue and quest text. That's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by Skekayun; 2015-04-20 at 07:07 PM.