Poll: Why do Forsaken have to have Gilneas?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why Forsaken have to have Gilneas!

Is it horde favoritism?

Or is it gameplay/gameflow reasons, or

is it entirely a lore thing.. new story.

My bet is on: 2: gameplay/gameflow reasons: Cos Gilneas is right next to a horde controlled territory, there is no alliance quest chains for miles, nor is there an alliance racial capital stronghold.. people were complaining about having to port all over the place in classic for quests, so, they've removed that element, and this puts experiencing Gilneas firmly in the horde and more specifically, Forsaken storyline.

Saying that, there was nothing stopping them from having a level 85 - battle zone, or alliance quest hub that restores the campaign.. but.. I don't think that will ever happen, because the whole idea of setting them up with the night elves is so that they become like the gnomes and trolls are atm, operating from another race.

So they forge a new destiny with new allies. It fits the theme anyway - night elves and not humans, cos humans would be terrified of werewolves, and according to the lore, the alliance humans/dwarves remember WC2, and don't trust Gilneans, so they don't trust their human version, and terrified of their wolf version especially since one mistake can make you end up like a worgen...

The sad thing is though, blizzard has not developed them in Kalimdor with the night elves either, they just plunked 1 tree in Darnassus, and 1 tree in Felwood, and now i claim horde favoritism, because if Worgen were horde, they'd have been integrated much better. I still think Worgen should rebuild on the old Theramore site, and make a new Gilneas, and the night elves also give em some space in Ferelas too.

Horde own it? Last time there was any lore with Gilneas was that there was a dragon there (Fangs of the Father questline). I think it mostly have to do with how they change the quest experience for worgen late in Cata beta. You can tell that the worgen was going to keep pushing the Forsaken all the way in Silverpine Forest but that was drop during the development of cata. Kind of sad to be honest. Gilneas had a unique look and feel to it that you don't see in that many zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Forsaken don't have Gilneas. The worgen drove them out. But the place is essentially abandoned. I mean, did you see what Gilneas City looked like when the player worgen were evacuating? I don't think it will be habitable (by non-undead) for a long time.

I do think that the whole deal with abandoning it was because of gameplay reasons, though. The Cataclysm revamp made every low-level zone either Horde or Alliance, and, as you said, there's no Alliance zones near Gilneas. Cataclysm was also the expansion where they were trying to funnel everyone into Orgrimmar and Stormwind, so making two new cities (Gilneas and Kezan) would've been contrary to that goal. Thus, Gilneas was abandoned and Kezan was destroyed.

Gameplay, they took away Alliance questing from that area (I.e. Southshore) and made it a Horde starting zone with Cataclysm. Shame really to spend so much time building such a cool place just for a few starter levels for one race.

In any case it's not Orc related so we won't be going back there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Horde favoritism? In a game, where Blizzard only cares about Alliance???

Joke of the century...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

The story behind Gilneas is really sketchy at best. A great deal of lore felt rushed. The worgen who were summoned by Arugal of Shadowfang Keep eventually over ran Gilneas and were followed through the gates by the Forsaken. Whether it was a quake from the sundering, or something sinister from the forsaken, the large gates once keeping the worgen at bay were broken open. Since then, the forsaken still continue to battle the worgen, though now through gameplay, all worgen in the forest seem friendly to Alliance players, yet those in Duskwood are enemies. There are a good many gaps between Lore and Gameplay. Unless there is another overhaul of the classic world, Gilneas may remain in an eternal struggle with the forsaken. While I was sad about the loss of Gilneas, I was more devastated by the current state of Southshore. I miss it pre-cataclysm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Horde favoritism? In a game, where Blizzard only cares about Alliance???

Joke of the century...
    Legitimate option since the bulk of Outlands was covered with Orcs and Blood elves. Most of the Scourge of Northrend were "undead". Thrall, former warchief of the Horde saves us against Deathwing. Garrosh becomes a majoy tyrant and ends up as the focus in Pandaria. Now the "Iron Horde" are the primary focus of Draenor. The closest the Alliance came to really getting any facetime: The lich king was a human paladin at one time, as was the one who took his place on the frozen throne, and Varian Wrynn almost got to take out Garrosh had Thrall and other members of the Horde not interceded. Every expansion seems to put either the Horde, or major players of the Horde center stage. Anyone who can't see that is not looking close enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac-Man View Post
    The story behind Gilneas is really sketchy at best. A great deal of lore felt rushed. The worgen who were summoned by Arugal of Shadowfang Keep eventually over ran Gilneas and were followed through the gates by the Forsaken. Whether it was a quake from the sundering, or something sinister from the forsaken, the large gates once keeping the worgen at bay were broken open. Since then, the forsaken still continue to battle the worgen, though now through gameplay, all worgen in the forest seem friendly to Alliance players, yet those in Duskwood are enemies.
    The worgen starting area spells that out pretty well if you read the quests. The Cataclysm broke down the gate, but the Forsaken were already there; they arrived by ship shortly before the Cataclysm struck.

Which forest are you referring to? Silverpine? That's because the worgen there are all led by Darius Crowley, an NPC friendly to the worgen players in the starting zone. Duskwood worgen, on the other hand, are all feral, and thus not friendly to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    The worgen starting area spells that out pretty well if you read the quests. The Cataclysm broke down the gate, but the Forsaken were already there; they arrived by ship shortly before the Cataclysm struck.

Which forest are you referring to? Silverpine? That's because the worgen there are all led by Darius Crowley, an NPC friendly to the worgen players in the starting zone. Duskwood worgen, on the other hand, are all feral, and thus not friendly to anyone.
    It's been 5 years since questing through that zone, so I might have missed the inference. I understood why the Silverpine worgen were friendly. I was just curious why the Duskwood worgen were not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac-Man View Post
    It's been 5 years since questing through that zone, so I might have missed the inference. I understood why the Silverpine worgen were friendly. I was just curious why the Duskwood worgen were not.
    The Duskwood worgen were there before the Cataclysm. They never underwent the ritual the player worgen do to control their feral side. They are basically animals.

It's not though. Remember? But Sylvanas destroyed most of it, and plagued whatever she didn't, so it's unlivable atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    The Duskwood worgen were there before the Cataclysm. They never underwent the ritual the player worgen do to control their feral side. They are basically animals.
    Perhaps they should have maintained the original worgen look. The character model makes it a bit difficult to discern. Either way, Gilneas is now at the mercy of the Forsaken, and will remain as such until another whole world update.

I've always felt their should be at least 2 worgen models, the human worgen and the night elf worgen, maybe one day the night elf worgen would be a worgen sub-race.

but i'm a bit surprised more people are voting horde favoritism, i think it was clearly a quest flow design decision that led them that root, i'm so skeptical about pure lore reasons, i think that sometimes happens true, but a lot of big things happen for gameplay based reasons also. it's not always easy knowing which one when, but that's how it is.

we won we own that piece of crap of a land
    we drove the worgen all the way back to nightelf town, so yea, we won
    few leftovers left...we are hungry
    Be feared, or be fuel

Poor decisions and Horde Favoritism.
    Twas brillig

They don't have gilneas, as seen in the rogue legendary questline when you go in there. It's pretty funny though the full might of the forsaken couldn't take the city though, even with the plague.

Deleted
    There's also the balance issue of creating (and then removing) Kezan and the Lost Isles for the Goblins... since they could not keep their land, it would've been imbalanced for the Alliance to get Gilneas. still a waste, though.

Deleted
    Gilneas was abandoned. Expect Gilneas to be full of Naga next time we go back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Junblat View Post
    we won we own that piece of crap of a land
    we drove the worgen all the way back to nightelf town, so yea, we won
    few leftovers left...we are hungry
    And then we lost it again (Silverpine Forest questing)

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    It's pretty funny though the full might of the forsaken couldn't take the city though, even with the plague.
    Now THAT I believe was for gameplay reasons. Putress took out a large Horde AND Alliance army with the plague alone, so it shouldn't have been a problem for Sylvanas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    More annoyed that the forsaken are almost everywhere in northern Lordaeron. Those cunts even launched an invasion in the Hinterlands and have a camp on the Arathi Highlands, like "hey Southshore is ours and now we're on this side, so Thoradin's Wall is basically ours"