Is there still such a thing as battlegroups in pvp?

I ask because it seems like 2 days ago on my original server, i was winning at least 80% of all matches I played in bg's. I just got another toon to level 100 and i've won 1 out of 8 games. (both horde, different servers)

10+ Year Old Account
    No, only regions. As far as I know battlegroups aren't used for anything at all anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    No, only regions. As far as I know battlegroups aren't used for anything at all anymore.
    Battlegroups do still exist and when queuing for stuff, it will prioritize your battlegroup, and then move on to regionwide if it can't instantly fill a group, so you'll still find 80% of players are still from your battlegroup. They also work for crossrealm zone. If you're on an RP realm, you'll find other players around on an RP realm, same for PvE, PvP, RP-PVP etc.

What Justin said

No offense to Rivin, but if you don't know the correct answer, why provide nonsense?

And yes, what Justin stated is correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because he wasn't right? :P The queue system prioritizes your server, not battlegroup, and battlegroups aren't used for CRZ (at least not how he described)--that's based on realm type within your region, not battlegroup.

He may have confused battlegroups with connected realms, which are very much not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Because he wasn't right? :P The queue system prioritizes your server, not battlegroup, and battlegroups aren't used for CRZ (at least not how he described)--that's based on realm type within your region, not battlegroup.

He may have confused battlegroups with connected realms, which are very much not the same thing.
    I simplified it, but the way it prioritizes queuing is realm->battlegroup->datacenter->region. for CRZ, it works the same way, so yes, it works exactly how I described. If you play on the cenarion circle realm and you go to a random leveling zone, you're more likely to find players from sisters of elune and wyrmrest accord, seeing as they are all on the cyclone battlegroup. You can still run into players on moon guard from the reckoning battlegroup though because of how I explained how it works.

as for connected realms, no I did not confuse them with anything, however they too work with battlegroups. The Quel'dorei and Sen'jin realms for example are "merged" and also on the bloodlust battlegroup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin-Sane View Post
    I simplified it, but the way it prioritizes queuing is realm->battlegroup->datacenter->region. for CRZ, it works the same way, so yes, it works exactly how I described. If you play on the cenarion circle realm and you go to a random leveling zone, you're more likely to find players from sisters of elune and wyrmrest accord, seeing as they are all on the cyclone battlegroup. You can still run into players on moon guard from the reckoning battlegroup though because of how I explained how it works.

as for connected realms, no I did not confuse them with anything, however they too work with battlegroups. The Quel'dorei and Sen'jin realms for example are "merged" and also on the bloodlust battlegroup.
    If you have some proof that battlegroups are used for them, that'd be great. Last I heard from Blizzard was that it was servers, then regions. I believe that was on the old forums and thus gone now though--and, of course, quite old so it could've changed since then, but I haven't heard anything about it.

As for connected realms, there are realms from different battlegroups connected to each other so that's clearly not the case. It's just more likely that servers in the same battlegroup will be connected because they are in the same datacenter.

Edit: The most recent mention of it I could find was from 2011, here, and it only mentioned servers, not battlegroups. I couldn't find a single mention of battlegroups related to queue priorities. But if you can find one, I'd love to have up-to-date information. I hate giving wrong answers. :/
    Last edited by Rivin; 2015-04-20 at 12:28 AM.