Thread: New PC.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New PC.

So, I've been without a computer for about a month now, and it really annoys me not having the option, just to go turn on the PC and do random stuff, or play random games etc.
    Since I can't brag about being awesome with computers, I do have a little knowledge of what to go for, therefor I post this topic to see what the cleaver people have to say about the build I've come up with!

Spec:
    Intel Core i5 4690 - 3.5 GHz
    Cooler Master Hyper 412S
    Asus Z97-P
    Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1866 8GB
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 – 1TB
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Corsair CX 750W
    MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2GB

Q's:
    - Will 750W be enough?
    - Should I just go for i7 right away?
    - 16 instead of 8 ram? (does it even matter)
    - Have I chosen a descent motherboard?

Please feel free to come up with whatever you think would be more suitable.
    (in the same price range, which is around 1200$ ish)

15+ Year Old Account
    That build is pretty decent and will run most games maxed out except a few on high. You might consider an SSD for the OS for a more responsive system and lightning fast boot up times.

For your questions:

-750w is more than enough
    -you don't need an i7, but get the k version of the i5 and OC it to 4.0+
    -8GB RAM is the minimum standard now, 16 for futureproofing
    -I can't comment on the mobo, it isn't my area of expertise as it were
    Last edited by Master Guns; 2015-04-19 at 08:19 PM.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    That build is pretty decent and will run most games maxed out except a few on high. You might consider an SSD for the OS for a more responsive system and lightning fast boot up times.

For your questions:

-750w is more than enough
    -you don't need an i7, but get the k version of the i5 and OC it to 4.0+
    -8GB RAMA is the standard now, 16 for futureproofing
    -I can't comment on the mobo, it isn't my area of expertise as it were
    Thanks for the quick answer!
    As for the SSD.. Should I buy that with the rest of the PC, or could I just go buy it like in a month or two?
    With the K version of the i5, do you mean; Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon?
    The idea was to go with 8gb and then someday when the money is banking up, upgrade to 16gb.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I have never understood this infatuation with faster boot up times. How often are you booting up your comp? Fuck, I think I restart mine maybe once a month. Saving myself about 20 seconds a month just doesn't seem worth the investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can either get the ssd now and install os to it now or go through the hassle later of an os transfer which I myself hate. Up to you though.

Yes, that exact CPU is amazing. It's unlocked so you can OC.

That's a good plan. I myself would get 1 8gb stick now and throw in another in the future. Or get 2x4 and then get 4x4 in the future. Up to you again.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    You know, I have never understood this infatuation with faster boot up times. How often are you booting up your comp? Fuck, I think I restart mine maybe once a month. Saving myself about 20 seconds a month just doesn't seem worth the investment.

It's not just about boot times ya know? :|
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah boot times aren't even the reason why I like an OS on an ssd. It's the responsiveness and general stability increase over an HDD. And if you have your entire rig saved on one HDD you can easily run into read/write bottlenecking when gaming which can cause very real performance dips and fps loss.

Ya thats hardly all an ssd does, its a huge performance gain even in some games that load assets on the fly.

Daily. I like being able to use it within 9 seconds of pressing the button is nice.
    Not having to take a shower after pressing it and it still not have loaded when I return is nice. :P
    Also, the OS in general is quicker with the SSD.

Anyway. 450~w is enough, so 750w is borderline way too much. In other words, don't worry.
    An i7 have little benefit for gaming apart from higher clockspeeds out of the box.
    8 or 16, if you are willing to shell out the money, I'd do it.
    I don't like ASUS motherboards, they don't offer very good performance for the money. I prefer Gigabyte. ASUS is held in high regard which is nice. Until you have to deal with their customer/warranty service which is hassle-some

Quote Originally Posted by heinevilla View Post
    So, I've been without a computer for about a month now, and it really annoys me not having the option, just to go turn on the PC and do random stuff, or play random games etc.
    Since I can't brag about being awesome with computers, I do have a little knowledge of what to go for, therefor I post this topic to see what the cleaver people have to say about the build I've come up with!

Spec:
    Cooler Master Hyper 412S
    Asus Z97-P
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Corsair CX 750W

Q's:
    - Will 750W be enough?

Setup is good. Honestly, broadwell and skylake are right around the corner and it would be best to build with one of those. (both by Intel)

750w is more than enough.

i7 isnt necessary for gaming unless youre doing video encoding and lots and lots of streaming.

8GB is suffice unless youre using photoshop. 16GB would be a waste otherwise.

Motherboard is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Its boot times, general snappiness of applications that are installed on it (especially games. load times are quick as hell) Probably takes me 5s to load something in wow with max settings DX11. Takes about 2 seconds with MKX. Office documents are instant as well.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Ya thats hardly all an ssd does, its a huge performance gain even in some games that load assets on the fly.
    Care to name one of those?

It has zero affect on performance in games, and windows loading up 1ms faster in Windows is not exactly lighting fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

It has zero affect on performance in games, and windows loading up 1ms faster in Windows is not exactly lighting fires.
    Do you really have to be a sarcastic jerk about it?

And it's not exactly hard to find comparisons between SSDs & HDDs ingame performance impact.

By no means is their usefulness and the performance-gains understated, I can personally attest to that as well.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Youre either that ignorant or a troll. If youre not the latter, then you need to go do some reasearch on your own. It's not that hard to realize that flash memory is faster than a hard drive with moving parts. If you REALLY think it has zero affect on performance in games (10x faster loading screens) then you are really ignorant. Or dumb because you refuse to believe it.

Windows booting up 1ms faster than a hard drive is EXTREMELY exaggerated. My ssd with Windows installed on it boots in about 10 seconds. Traditional hard drive with all the same stuff loading up and installed on it, well over 2 minutes total to boot.

So to summarize, stop trolling and get out. Youre not contributing anything to help here.

Infracted - Keep it civil without insults.
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-04-20 at 06:07 AM.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

15+ Year Old Account

You're obviously not in any position to comment on them considering you obviously have no idea what they do.

1ms? Lol. Boot up from off on HDD - 1 minute. Boot up from SSD - 4 seconds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Yeah boot times aren't even the reason why I like an OS on an ssd. It's the responsiveness and general stability increase over an HDD. And if you have your entire rig saved on one HDD you can easily run into read/write bottlenecking when gaming which can cause very real performance dips and fps loss.
    I wanted to comment on this, as well.

My games are installed on my SSD - at least the most used ones, and the ones I care to do what I'm about to describe with.

I have a 1TB 7200 RPM HDD as my secondary; this is the drive I record video to. This means 0 interference with video recording and gaming in terms of I/O from drives. It means smoother, better gameplay and video.

Also, loading between zones/whatever else takes virtually no time at all. So, yes, I highly recommend an SSD for everyone now, it is 100% worth it as the price/GB continues to come down

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heinevilla View Post

Spec:
    Cooler Master Hyper 412S
    Asus Z97-P
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Corsair CX 750W

Q's:
    - Will 750W be enough?

I would come down on the PSU to 500w, maybe go semi-modular.

16 GB RAM is very nice to have for someone like me who likes to have 40 tabs of Chrome open, multiple programs, etc. all at the same time.

I'm not a fan of ASUS mobos, but to each their own.

Seems like I'm getting that SSD
    - Some of you are not big fans of ASUS motherboards. What would you advise me to go for then?

15+ Year Old Account
    I, myself, am a huge fan of the ASROCK Z97X Fatality Killer board. It's an OC'ers wetdream. Auto voltages on OC's.

Also comes with 6 SATAIII slots, 6 USB 3.0, 3 PCI-E 3.0, and 3 PCI-E slots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157505
    Last edited by Master Guns; 2015-04-20 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambushu View Post
    Youre either that ignorant or a troll. If youre not the latter, then you need to go do some reasearch on your own. It's not that hard to realize that flash memory is faster than a hard drive with moving parts. If you REALLY think it has zero affect on performance in games (10x faster loading screens) then you are really ignorant. Or dumb because you refuse to believe it.
    Levels loading faster is not performance. If you believe that, you're either a troll or ignorant. Im going to go with both - ignorant troll. I will not add a single frame per second or allow you to have more detail ... I.E. greater performance. There is no game - not one - where "load times" are going to impact your performance. Zero many.

Windows booting up 1ms faster than a hard drive is EXTREMELY exaggerated.
    You may need to learn to read above a 2nd grade level. 1 - no capital W. 2 - read the sentence. "nd windows loading up 1ms faster in Windows is not exactly lighting fires" - meaning, and this really isn't hard - that windows (as in the objects inside the operating system) opening up 1ms faster is meaningless.

My ssd with Windows installed on it boots in about 10 seconds. Traditional hard drive with all the same stuff loading up and installed on it, well over 2 minutes total to boot.
    You're outright full of shit here. Just plain, outright lying.

I go from cold boot (Windows 8, Win 7 definitely took 5-8 seconds longer) to usable desktop in 25-30 seconds on a plain old 7200 RPM drive. On a 10,000 RPM drive (which is my actual boot drive, the windows install on the storage drive is for emergency boot purposes) it is more like 17-19 seconds.

Booting up in 10 seconds instead isnt going to rock my (or anyone elses) world.

So to summarize, stop trolling and get out. Youre not contributing anything to help here.
    So, to summarize, you're lying and full of shit. You're contributing nothing but drivel and lies.

To the OP:

SSDs are a luxury. If you arent at the point in your build where all of your actual in game performance needs are met, if you're still thinking about "how do i come up with another 50$ to get that better video card so i can run ultra at 144fps" - then the SSD should be the very first thing to go to actually increase performance.

They add no frames per second, no detail, they do not make textures look better. They add no performance of any kind, except for (possibly) a game that streams continuously from the HD - of which there are almost none in existence where a 7200 RPM drive is going to cause a performance issue.

If you're already at your performance mark, then by all means, get an SSD. Its your money, but do not do so believing that its going to make games look better, run better, or provide higher fps. It will do precisely NONE of those things.

Infracted - Discussion can be handled without insults or name calling.
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-04-20 at 05:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, please do not listen to this guy. He has no idea what he's talking about.

#1, yes, an SSD can in some situations provide small FPS increase
    #2, no one, and I mean NO ONE, claimed SSD's increase textures lol? Like, LOL? Who said that?

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Do you really have to be a sarcastic jerk about it?

And it's not exactly hard to find comparisons between SSDs & HDDs ingame performance impact.

By no means is their usefulness and the performance-gains understated, I can personally attest to that as well.
    A video made on PS3, not PC, where the 60GB drive they are using is 4500 RPM - the 60GB PS3 Launch Drive. Even newer units only use 5400 RPM drives.

Also, right there in the comments from the guy who made the video, someone asks if using SSDs will increase FPS and performance in PC games, and the guy responds with:

"It's pretty much unique to Skyrim, which seemingly used the hard drive as a virtual extension to memory - to disastrous effect (until it was finally patched)."

So.. yeah.