Gruul Myth tact help

Hey MMO guys

My guild just cleared beastlord and oregorger this sunday and then we tried to do Gruul, we spend alot of time talking about which tact we should use. The officere agreed to do the 2 tanks and 4 healers which I think is enough aswell. the part where I dont rly agree is that they wanna run 3 grps where the 3rd grp is immunity. I spoke with Klosterbro from Method, which said he would suggest the 2grps where the first tank soak 2 inferno slice on a grp in a row and then the other tank do the same on the other grp. Klosterbro said we could do this unless our gear was bad or bad setup. so my question for you guys, do u think we can do it with that tact with the setup we got now? This is the log from our 5 tries on Gruul:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports.../#type=summary

I myself belive that we can do it, but rly would like to hear what u guys think about it.

P.S: plz no comment on how I am not allowed to disagree with GM/Raidleader or something like that.

Thx in advance

Deleted
    We never changed our strategy after the Gruul "stealth" nerf or after the whole raid went 15 itemlevlel higher so I can't tell you if it's really worth it to still stick to it. But the math on how to take out raid damage on Gruul is still the same.

One Inferno Slice does 1.5m initial damage, regardless on if it's devided by n (n=9 for 1 Tank + 8 Heal/DPS, 2 Group strategy; or n=7 for1 Tank + 6 Heal/DPS, 2 Group Strategy).
    The DoT effect however it applied to every n who got hit by the Inferno Slice and runs 30 seconds (1 Slice every 12 Seconds btw.)

Summing up, every inferno slice does (1.5m/n + DoT)*n = (1.5m + DoT*n) Damage. Simple math, if you want to minimize this term, minimize n, the number of people who soak an inferno slice. How to do that? More and smaller groups. Only threshold on this is, don't get killed by the initial hit (things get a little more bursty with 3 Camps, but that usually shouldn't be an issue). Thats also actually what monk-op-tanks do when solo soaking (n=1). This strategy will also allow you to never have more than 1 stack on a player. When the Second stack is applied, the first stack is refreshed. So Klosterbro was actually telling you not only to have more people with the DoT running, but also to extend it by 12 seconds. I don't think that's a good idea.

However, I don't want to overcomplicate things, I just wanted to point out why I'm a fan of the 3-Camp Strategy. What's also good on this strategy, with fewer people on a group, you'll be more likely able to have a group who is capable of taking a slice with no need of heal at all (2 mages, 2 rogues, 2 hunters maybe).

Also, as long as you are still in progression, I'd recommend 5 Healers. With the iLVL boost DPS shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand, when you go 3 Camps, including one immunity camp, have a monk who can solo soak up to 5 slices over 5 Minutes, you might not need that 5th healer. Up to you.

PS: Always feel free to offer criticism to your raidleader. He should be able to handle that, odds are he's not perfect anyway. No one likes Dictators. As a german, I can refer.
    Last edited by mmoc3c639dd81a; 2015-04-20 at 12:09 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We found three groups taking one slash each to be just simpler and easier to not screw up. Have your tank not tanking the boss currently taunt into each group. G1, g2, g3, tank swap, repeat. There are rare times he will execute a tenth inferno slice before rampage. Be prepared for this and have a backup plan. We just have the tank who will have the boss after rampage solo that tenth slice with an external or strong personal.
    Sinthetik, Blood DK, BM Monk, GM, Exiled From Hell, US Premiere Daytime Progression Guild. 7/7 Mythic HM, 10/10 Mythic BRF. 12/13 Mythic, 13/13 Heroic HFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinthetik View Post
    We found three groups taking one slash each to be just simpler and easier to not screw up. Have your tank not tanking the boss currently taunt into each group. G1, g2, g3, tank swap, repeat. There are rare times he will execute a tenth inferno slice before rampage. Be prepared for this and have a backup plan. We just have the tank who will have the boss after rampage solo that tenth slice with an external or strong personal.
    It can't do 10 before it phases. If it does 10 that means one of the slices was solo soaked before the 9th or it didn't hit 4 people on a slice.

It phases the instant the 9th hits even if you solo soak the 9th.

I also think the strat where you just split the raid into 3 group and just have each of them soak 1 slice one after the other is alot easier and also harder to screw up like sinthetik said. The strat with immunity soak grp is doable but just lose attention for a split second and you die. Our raid tryed it for some time but then as soon as we switched to 3 even soak grp it went alot smoother.

Thx for the replies Guys. I rly like the 3 grp tacts without immunity grp, reducing the chance that one player can f*** it up for the Whole raid. Lets see if my RL agree on that aswell

We've killed him yesterday for the first time.
    Have used 2 tanks, 5 heals and 3 soaking groups, without any immunity gimmicks - group 1, group 2, group 3, repeat, simple as that.

+1 for Vudho here as well.
    3 groups of 6
    5 healers
    2 tanks

We killed it in less than 10 wipes

Deleted
    We just use standrat group 2 groups soak 5 heals 2 tanks
    Sadly our main tank wasnt online and the GM who was tanking wasnt prepared to fight with gruul (we just kill oregore prety fast )
    So its still under question

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by base33 View Post
    +1 for Vudho here as well.
    3 groups of 6
    5 healers
    2 tanks

We killed it in less than 10 wipes
    How did you do the tank stacks?
    4 stacks of Inferno Slice per tank?

And who took the 9th slice?

I found that stacking 3-4-2 worked out well for Tank Slices. No reason to have both tanks got to 4 if it's not needed.

Used to do 3 group strat + 3 tank, now do 2 group + 2 tank.

The fight is exactly like Heroic/Normal for tanks, except you might want to actually use a CD for Slashes.

2 Slashes per Group, 3 per Tank. Super Simple, Super easy kill.

We just had both tanks take 3 stacks each and used 3 soak groups. The first time we killed it I think we went with 5 healers since we were unconcerned about the enrage.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its possible not enough soaked the slices when we had those rare tenth slice occurrences. Just wanted him to be prepared should it happen, as it did catch us off guard on a few pulls during progression. If all is executed correctly, no, he should never do a tenth.
    Sinthetik, Blood DK, BM Monk, GM, Exiled From Hell, US Premiere Daytime Progression Guild. 7/7 Mythic HM, 10/10 Mythic BRF. 12/13 Mythic, 13/13 Heroic HFC.