New SSD with OS, can I wipe HDD?

Okay I picked up an Samsung 850 evo SSD 250gb today and installed it. Now, this was my first time having two drives and did some basic research and had the jist on what I had to do. I changed by boot drive order to the SSD first, did a clean install of Win 7 on the SSD and have all the updates, OS, and essentials. The problem now is, even though I did a clean install I have Windows installed on my 1TB hdd and my SSD.

I am just wondering if I could format the HDD, and wipe it completely. I don't have any important things on the HDD, and all the essentials have been downloaded properly and cleanly to the SSD. No migration or cloning.

So, Its just files that I dont need that are taking up 200 gb that could be used for future mass storage. I should have unplugged the HDD when doing an OS install on the SSD, but I did not. I still got the clean install, but I still have the spare folders.

Can the more experienced experts help?

yes you can fdisk it format it and walla slightly less then 1tb at ur disposal...

ps make sure u do a fdisk /mbr

it wipes the master boot record....

Easiest way (without typing anything) is start Windows disk management, delete partitions from the HDD, create new partition there and quickformat to NTFS. All traces of the disc ever being bootable will be gone along with your old windows installation.

Okay so I basically had the drive under one partition, and deleted the volume. Thus the HDD was wiped essentially. Now I need the PC to recognize the HDD again because it was deleted from the system when I deleted the partition. So, am I supposed to do that? I recall on a recent video I have to go to the BIOS or disk management section again?

15+ Year Old Account
    If you deleted the volume, your OS sees no usable partition. You'll need to re-partition the drive. You can do so under Disk Management. Right click the unpartitioned area, create an NTFS volume, and then you should be able to access the drive space again.

Alrighty. So I partitioned the drive, and its usable/ recognized now according to my PC. It is all wiped now. Now, the problem I am having currently with my SSD is another. When I put essential programs on the SSD for faster boot up times, or a few games only games can go on the SSD. Now internet downloads such as ad-blocker, drivers, windows security essentials, and other things need to have "permission from the administrator." Well, thats an issue, because I am the only Admin on my PC, and I cant put non game programs on the SSD. Can you help?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most programs require 'admin' access to be installed, it's that way in Windows 7 and up by default. You can change that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

or Are they asking for admin rights every time you run them?

Quote Originally Posted by CatinaSink View Post
    Most programs require 'admin' access to be installed, it's that way in Windows 7 and up by default. You can change that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

or Are they asking for admin rights every time you run them?
    They only ask for administrative rights when they are downloads or installs that need to have a file location set. For example, drivers and other essentials would typically be stored on my /C drive, which is my ssd. However, when I try to put those programs or downloads into the /C: Drive it requires Admin permission. So, since I don't have permission( on my own account and user, go figure) I store those downloads and programs on my /E: drive which is my non- essential and mass storage 1TB HDD.

I hope that makes more sense, and can help with the issue I am having.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1996P View Post
    They only ask for administrative rights when they are downloads or installs that need to have a file location set. For example, drivers and other essentials would typically be stored on my /C drive, which is my ssd. However, when I try to put those programs or downloads into the /C: Drive it requires Admin permission. So, since I don't have permission( on my own account and user, go figure) I store those downloads and programs on my /E: drive which is my non- essential and mass storage 1TB HDD.

I hope that makes more sense, and can help with the issue I am having.
    Just put UAC some level lower to be more permissive, but if I recall correctly it should simply ask you, not entirely block as you're describing.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try creating another user account with Admin privileges, and use it. You could then delete your original account.