View Poll Results: Would you genetically modify yourself?

Voters
160. This poll is closed
  • Yes

147 91.88%
  • No

13 8.13%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    I don't want to lose my body. I don't want to upgrade my intelligence, I rather enjoy hedonistic lifestyle. I don't even care for travel to other planets that much, as I love the earth, I love to burrow my feet to the ground, I feel safe here, home.

Others can become superintelligent systems floating in space doing mathematics to solve einsten-rosen bridge travel to escape entropy. If that's ever possible and I get the gift to witness such beauty of science, I want to travel to a place where Carl Sagan still lives, to sit with him, smoke some cannabis, and talk all night.

May the technology advance my physical properties, and may it never change me.

My question is, from ignorance, would it be possible to actually modify oneself genetically and see said changes take place?
    I thought only the descendants of a modified individual would show the changes that happened in their forefathers.
    Last edited by Dsonsion; 2015-04-20 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Curious; Am I the only one who would be ok with not having a body at all?

What is the benefit of having a body, if we can upload you(your memories, and consciousness) to a android or the Internet?

You mean like the Holodeck Doctor on Voyager?

Cuz that would be cool, I don't think that would qualify for this post though, could be an interesting post to vote on if you put it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    My question is, from ignorance, would it be possible to actually modify oneself genetically and see said changes take place?
    I thought only the descendants of a modified individual would show the changes that happened in their fathers.
    Depends on how it goes down,technically that is how it works, but there are ways to introduce genes or cells into your DNA to be modified, keep in mind this is a WHAT IF situation.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, or like Data or like "Professor Moriarty".

- - - Updated - - -

Both are possible, in vitro is simpler/easier.

With CRISPR/cas9 we can do that today. The problem is if you want to change something in an already living organism, you would have to modify all the genes in each and every cell, as well as stem cells.

That is theoretically possible now, but it is a lot more complicated than doing it to a sperm/egg or embryo.

That is why a lot of futurists are pushing nanobots, because they make it a lot simpler to modify DNA in an already living organisms, if you can program and control the vector of the change.

Hmm Data eh, I don't know, not sure just how far that might extend to actually being you, if whatever is can be determined at all, I don't mean genetically, but I mean like your physical brain.

2 big Draw backs though, as a hologram your existence is reliant on technology and 2 I think even Data had a Limited life span of something, I don't remember how long though.

I think before going that route, what about like T-1000
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Would you ever get a cybernetic implant or modification if you could?

Maybe grow extra arms, blue skin or wings.

What would you have done?
    nah, im not really a risk taker - if i needed to, sure, but if it was not needed, prolly not

15+ Year Old Account
    I might just get my acne and dandruff. I am not hard to please.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Women in my family have a high incidence of Alzheimer's, which is likely due to the presence of the APOE-E4 gene, a risk factor of the disease that has a higher rate of expression among women. I don't have any female children (yet), and I don't know if I am a carrier of the gene, but if I am a carrier I'd like not to be. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes i would make myself immortal. as in i can never die of old age.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-04-20 at 10:48 PM.

Deleted
    I would like digital memory as in the movie "Total Recall". I'd want to be able to record my own experiences and maybe buy some fabricated ones for when I'm bored.

Just realized that this is about "genetic" changes, not hardware upgrades. Oops, did not mean to derail.
    Last edited by mmoca61d610cb9; 2015-04-20 at 08:51 PM. Reason: oops

Curious; Am I the only one who would be ok with not having a body at all?

What is the benefit of having a body, if we can upload you(your memories, and consciousness) to a android or the Internet?
    this is what i want above all else, so i can experience being a mage in some kind of fantasy game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    this is what i want above all else, so i can experience being a mage in some kind of fantasy game.
    this is what i envision myself looking like if i ever make myself a cyborg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkDsU-OEIac