BM Hunters vs. Beastlord spears

How do BM Hunters generally help deal with spears on Mythic Beastlord?

I've been SV for a while and recently made the switch to BM. Seems like I'd have to single target the spears down as needed unless they were close enough to beast cleave.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a mythic raider, but i'd guess they spec Barrage.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxyquest View Post
    How do BM Hunters generally help deal with spears on Mythic Beastlord?

I've been SV for a while and recently made the switch to BM. Seems like I'd have to single target the spears down as needed unless they were close enough to beast cleave.
    Depends on the comp really. For mythic, it's only really important to have them cleared for the rylak and before faultline is dead. After that you can ignore them. We don't have a consistent shadow priest at the moment so I go survival for this fight to help out, hard switching to them as BM is terrible tbh unless they are within cleave range. I'd say if you have some decent mages, boomkins, or dot classes and they die, then you can ignore them but if you are on spear duty, I'd recommend survival.

Deleted
    You can beast cleave then if they are close enough to the boss or kill shot low hp ones but TBH you shouldn't really need to switch to spears with enough dot classes in your comp. Your barrage does enough.

Your boomkin, shadow priest and warlocks will get more boss damage if you don't touch the spears and instead let their dots do all the work. Boomkin dots can proc starsurge uses, shadow priest SW:P crits give shadow orbs and Doom crits generates wilds imps which single target the boss and generate fury. But of course switch to them if someone is pinned down.
    Last edited by mmocbdbff9af68; 2015-04-20 at 01:14 PM.

Kill shot them if they are low and the boss/current beast isn't, that's all I do.

Thanks. I was looking over BM parses and it's pretty clear that BM Hunters rarely ever switch to spears and/or do more than 5% total damage to them.

I've just recently made the switch to BM and want to enchant/gem mastery but may need to hold off because I felt like I was picking up the slack of damage to spears when I played SV..

Our first Beastlord parse:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...qDXm9#fight=11

Basically just beast cleave when they're in range of the boss but don't hardswitch unless the entire raid is cleaning them up or something.
    Finbez
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological
    if only WoW had come out when I was a teenager. Back then online gaming consisted of text-based MUDs....I could type "kill orc" faster than any of my competition, brosephs, and played a mean giantman cleric.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just what everyone else has already said: We have our Shadow Priest, usually though all dot classes dot them up, specifically set up to bring spears down. I will Kill Shot snipe low health ones, cleave if the boss or his mount are near some and occasionally if I find myself out of range for everything but KC, I'll use the travel time to drop explosive traps near clustered spears or any spear near me instead of having dead air time.

Basically though, BM is there to do decent single target damage on the boss and his Mounts. It's important to have good damage on him specifically to push his phases.

Deleted
    You pretty much ignore the spears as a BM. The only source of damage should be barrage hits and an occasional cleave or snipe with kill shot if the spear is close to the boss.

Dont bother sniping if the spear is on the other side of the map.

There's only one time I was ever in charge of helping with spears explicitly on Mythic. Our shadow priest was not available and we only had one boomkin. As BM, I tried to put my pet in the center of any clusters of spears and just beast cleaved and laid explosive trap.

This worked, but it was a pain in the butt when all spears were spread around the room and my dps definitely suffered. At that point, you would just have to single target and let the raid know if you need others to hard switch for clean up (e.g. before rylak and Faultline).

Is Master's Call -> barrage/BC adds a common practice or do BM hunters generally stay on boss and only cleave when adds are in range?

If you look at the logs I linked, I do a big chunk of damage to the spears.

This is the only fight making me hesitant of switching my gems/enchants to Mastery from MS.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&target=75

Spear and pack damage on my recent kill are pretty high but boss damage is garbage lol
    No one in my raid was really assigned to deal with spears so I just sort of went with the flow and prioritized them when in groups / pinned people

Deleted
    I do not do nothing special we got 2 boomies and 1 shadow priest to deal with them all day
    And ofc trying to caugh in barrage much possible
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2015-04-20 at 10:26 PM.

In my raid, our hunters (varies between 1 and 3, depending on availability) only switch to spears when necessary due to a pin down; we're all BM now, though when we were first working on it, the other two hunters were SV and spreading the Serpent Sting love around.

We save our Barrage for misdirecting adds (so end up using it pretty much every 30 seconds, rather than on cooldown); I personally try to make the cone hit as many spears as possible, but my priority is on getting the adds onto the tanks, especially when they're on the other side of the room for whatever reason.

We multishot/cleave as much as possible, but usually that only ends up hitting adds, not so much the spears. I don't really bother with target switching for kill shot sniping, by the time they're in that range, they die too fast to make it worth it for me (though I think at least one of our warlocks does). I have ended up keeping my pet on assist, rather than passive, for this fight, because of all the mount changes, and I ended up with a pet doing nothing too often, so kill shot sniping, unless I end up setting a mouseover macro for it, will pull my pet off the boss.

If I'm not mistaken, our sometimes shadow priest and boomkins (up to 3), and sometimes 1 or more mages mostly take care of spears (I think who and how many do it depends on who is there that night).

Our BM Hunters stick to pack beast and boss. I help our Moonkin as a Surv Hunter work on spears. Shadow Priest are really nice for spears, but we are lacking one atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Re1 View Post
    You can beast cleave then if they are close enough to the boss or kill shot low hp ones but TBH you shouldn't really need to switch to spears with enough dot classes in your comp. Your barrage does enough.

Your boomkin, shadow priest and warlocks will get more boss damage if you don't touch the spears and instead let their dots do all the work. Boomkin dots can proc starsurge uses, shadow priest SW:P crits give shadow orbs and Doom crits generates wilds imps which single target the boss and generate fury. But of course switch to them if someone is pinned down.
    Spending a global to killshot one is a total waste

Just pretend you're melee, and tell everyone else to do more spear damage.

Ignore spears and leave those to the shadow priests/boomkins

I usually cleave off the boss when adds are out and thats about it to it for a hunter