Poll: They would be

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    People who say they are the same offline as online are the biggest liars. Or maybe they're just unaware of the difference.

Using the internet since the days of the BBS and I've yet to meet a single person who was much like their "internet personality."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the same offline and online, takes me a bit to open up and then I don't shut up. If I don't know anyone I'm pretty quiet and reserved. No more of a bitch online or offline, and I wouldn't ever say something mean to someone online if it wasn't something I'd already say to their face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    People who say they are the same offline as online are the biggest liars. Or maybe they're just unaware of the difference.

Using the internet since the days of the BBS and I've yet to meet a single person who was much like their "internet personality."
    Maybe you just meet phony people.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm as much of an ass online than in real life.

Which is why I get all the ladies, chicks dig assholes.

I'm actually super single, if anyone is interested. The person I like lives 10 hours away :/

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post

To be fair, also consider this: part of how you perceive a person on the internet is how you read and interpret their posts. There's an element to it that they can't influence. Perhaps some people mean and think it the same way like they would in real life, but you associate it with your personal experiences and interpretations. You don't read the intended ductus, you interpret it through your own frame of reference. There's a possibility that people come across differently when you meet them because it doesn't match up. There's just so many things that are conveyed with facial expression, body langugage, the tone of voice etc. that don't come across. That's the surreal aspect of online communication, there's an in between element that doesn't manifest itself in "real" communication.

But of course, it's to be expected that most "internet personalities" are an act and a reflection of how people wished they could be IRL but don't have the balls.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2015-04-20 at 09:28 PM.

I believe a number of my friends and family would be surprised at how I post. I would say it would be a more neutral reaction than good or bad though. I tend to be more reserved, polite, and eloquent with my words when posting vs. how I speak in more relaxed environments. I chalk it up to actually taking the time to think before I "speak" as it were. I tend to verbally communicate more freely and with slightly less thought than I do when I type.

Deleted
    No, I am pretty much the same person online and offline

10+ Year Old Account
    i think the only thing that would have any potential to "shock" anyone of my close family would be related to my sexual kinks :D
    but even then it'd most likely be more just "surprised" than actually "shocked" -- stuff they would almost certainly not expect, but i doubt they'd actually judge (as good or bad).

i'm not the exact same person online as i am offline, but that isn't intentional. i wouldn't actively try to act differently irl compared to online. it's simply a matter of different forms of communication making some behaviour easier or harder; for example, i find it a lot easier to joke or 'laugh' in an online chat. i'm also more likely to criticise someone online, simply because i usually have all the time in the world to choose my words carefully, to make sure it doesn't come across as something i didn't mean.
    part of that difference is also simply due to the fact that, offline, i haven't really had any noteworthy social contacts outside my family for years. and though i feel very lucky in the sense that i love every single one of my family members for the person they are (rather than simply putting up with them because omgfamily) all of my 'friends' of recent years are people i know only over the internet.

I'm the same off and on.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably,

My family doesn't know a whole lot about my social life, which is the way I like to keep it. All my guy friends were attracted to my sisters so I developed the habit of keeping family and social life serperated.

Seeing that my mother is more traditional than most, she would be appalled about what I talk about in gen-ot sometimes. My sisters already had somewhat of an idea since high school but they've kept their mouth shut aside from the whole "zo used to drink all the time and you never knew/weren't as strict to him as you were to us!".
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2015-04-20 at 09:58 PM.

No, not really.

They probably wouldn't expect me to pose as a mysoginistic neonazi though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty unexciting both on and offline. People usually aren't shocked by dullness.

But I'm not an ass online if that's what you mean.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    I'm way nicer and more collected online. It's not really a change in personality as much as it is me having time to think about my actions. In real life when I get into a tricky situation that requires swift action or response I generally feel cornered and that often results in me lashing out verbally or physically. Online I have all the time in the world to figure out an appropriate action or I have the option to just leave when it doesn't suit me, there's no pressure to perform. It leads to a much nicer version of me. The version of me in a "perfect world" so to speak.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I'm quieter about my opinions in real life. I don't think they know I'm a feminist (though I will politely let my brother know when he's being a knob.) I'm not out the closet with my family either. So all in all they'd probably be pretty shocked, but not in a bad way.
    I thought you liked fat girls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargalaten View Post
    Most people online behave quite different than they do in real life due to anonymity and lack of consequences there would be in real life.
    I don't.
    At worst I can be harsh, arrogant and VERY direct. Gotten me intro trouble with quite a few people.
    But there are also people that like me for being truthful and honest.

I don't believe in lying and diplomacy is ... difficult for me. I always try to reason with logic instead of listening to emotions.
    God knows I don't always succeed, guess I don't have green blood and pointy ears after all. ._.

They know about the forum addict and the gamer.
    Hell, my mother even knows about my Draenei /Elf fetish and that I practice E-RP from time to time.
    So umm .. no I don't think I would be able to shock her.
    Daddy is another story though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of my family are conservative and God fearing, and I am liberal and atheist, and it isn't worth it to bring religion or politics up during the few times a year when I see any of them. But, I am very open online with atheism and liberalism. The only person in my family that I talk openly to about either is my mother. She is moderate and agnostic, so she is at least understanding.

They'd be pissed I'm so gay and talk gross about girls all the time, but other than that I'm pretty much the same.
    X

Well, a few of them would shoot me if I were to speak to them in an unfiltered way so there is that. I do adjust what I say around people I know, there are some you don't want to talk politics or religion with for example.

I figure if you come to this forum you know what to expect.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all.
    You cared enough to post.

They wouldn't be surprised at all. I'm actually a bit more crass in person.

Pretty much the same grumpy asshole offline as online. But certain qualities certainly won't translate here, so at best I would say my online persona is an incomplete representation of my actual persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    Not much differenec except my shyness can't exactly be portrayed online.
    You are supposed to be shy irl? That is not exactly what I would have pictured you as...