When do you 'commit' for the 2pc Combustion trick?

Not sure how to word this question, but do you always go for this trick because I feel if it doesn't go right you lose more then you gain.

For example, on Maidens we don't use hero on the pull and it's often difficult for me to get the heating up + pyro! proc I need in time before my trinkets wear off, making the chance of a good pyro chain much lower, which often results in me getting a lower combust then I would have gotten by getting the procs quicker by using IB.

This mostly happens when I don't have hero on the pull, on Hans/Frans for example I almost always manage to pull it off.

4pc on the pull almost always guarantees I get a good combust, but yeah we all know that isn't guaranteed.

Some general tips on how to salvage a pull when this trick goes wrong would be very welcome, maybe I'm missing something obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't hero on the pull, it can be worth skipping if you don't have a solid haste trinket to help your GCD either. Otherwise, getting a consistent, very high Combust, just isn't very feasible every pull. It is mainly a gamble, but if you can't line up your 2P then just do a normal Pyro chain and hope your RNG pays off. Its fickle, but we don't have much choice in the matter.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    If you don't hero on the pull, it can be worth skipping if you don't have a solid haste trinket to help your GCD either. Otherwise, getting a consistent, very high Combust, just isn't very feasible every pull. It is mainly a gamble, but if you can't line up your 2P then just do a normal Pyro chain and hope your RNG pays off. Its fickle, but we don't have much choice in the matter.
    ?!?

Oregorger trinket + whatever trinket u have --> pre pyro timed for double rppm trinket proc --> fireball for days --> pyroblast! + heating up (without using IB) --> pyro spam for days --> ib ib --> combust --> ib.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dabsy View Post
    ?!?

Oregorger trinket + whatever trinket u have --> pre pyro timed for double rppm trinket proc --> fireball for days --> pyroblast! + heating up (without using IB) --> pyro spam for days --> ib ib --> combust --> ib.
    And what happens when your fireballs don't proc pyro! and you waste 3 heating up procs in a row and your opener is completely ruined because you didn't use an IB?

It really isn't that consistent unless you're running double crit trinkets and or hero in the opener, you are most of the time better off doing it the normal way during progression as it's far more consistent, if you mess it up and don't get crits your opener is going to be terrrrrrrible.

I do a lot better dps when I just try to maximise what I have when I have it, sometimes I don't get the 2pc trick off, sometimes I get roaring combusts. Its fire, its RNG, you learn to deal with it.

With a decent amount of crit chance you shouldn't have too much of an issue setting up the double Inferno Blast trick. I use one charge of Inferno Blast and then just wait 3-4 seconds before executing the Pyro chain. For me the issue in setting up the Combustion is that my Pryo! + Fireball combo doesn't yield a second Pyro!. In that scenario if I have all my trinkets and shit active I may just forgo the trick right there unless I feel like I have time to try again before they run out.

During the middle of the fight where I can't guarantee the stacking of buffs I would just try again. All in all, for me it's fairly clunky because sometimes its a pain to set up especially when you are using Prismatic Crystal but that's another story entirely. You have to have good haste rating and quick reaction time in order to make it worthwhile. But, as Fire has typically always been. If the stars align at the right time you can do some pretty spectacular things using this trick. I personally would prefer it to even exist and for Combustion to be re-designed so that it was more consistent and less about RNG. It's not even like in its current iteration that using it properly shows off some level of skill, it's purely based on RNG. Bah, ranting again.This part again is for another thread entirely.

Mostly I use the one charge of Inferno Blast and then kinda chill for a few seconds if it immediately yielded me both Pyro! and a Heating Up proc so that by the time I finish another Fireball and my Pryo chain, both charges are off cooldown. Even though that setup has been fairly reliable, getting two Pyro's in a row, even with my 34% crit when in my 688 item level, doesn't always happen and that ruins my set ups more often than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    I do a lot better dps when I just try to maximise what I have when I have it, sometimes I don't get the 2pc trick off, sometimes I get roaring combusts. Its fire, its RNG, you learn to deal with it.
    Yeah, this is how I do it too but you have to recognize wether the 2pc trick is going to be worth it very early or you risk losing quite abit of damage.

If only we could get lust on the pull for Maidens.

Of course getting a 4pc proc during the pull pretty much guarantees a great combust, but sadly that is far from common for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Yeah, this is how I do it too but you have to recognize wether the 2pc trick is going to be worth it very early or you risk losing quite abit of damage.

If only we could get lust on the pull for Maidens.

Of course getting a 4pc proc during the pull pretty much guarantees a great combust, but sadly that is far from common for me.
    i once got a 4pc proc on pull right after I popped down my crystal on BF, it was pretty great destroying my whole side single handedly...

If you prepull properly you'll have double trinket procs on pull so oregorger trinket will be up for ~18-20 seconds.

I just go with what I get. If I get a bad RNG streak oh well, I combust with what I've got and roll with it since I use kindling for almost every fight I play fire on for mythic and would rather just head to the next combustion sooner.

retired, another victim of warlords of draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Libretto View Post
    If you prepull properly you'll have double trinket procs on pull so oregorger trinket will be up for ~18-20 seconds.

I just go with what I get. If I get a bad RNG streak oh well, I combust with what I've got and roll with it since I use kindling for almost every fight I play fire on for mythic and would rather just head to the next combustion sooner.
    I thought getting double trinket procs was on pull was a warlock thing, how do you do it as a mage, I mean having the Oregorger trinket up for twice the duration would probably ease most of my pains.
    Last edited by Woobels; 2015-04-21 at 10:50 PM.

I try and do it whenever i can, with the oregorger trinket you pretty much have a guaranteed chance to do it at the pull. After that you should still try and aim for it, its rarely not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    I thought getting double trinket procs was on pull was a warlock thing, how do you do it as a mage, I mean having the Oregorger trinket up for twice the duration would probably ease most of my pains.
    Prepot and hardcast pyroblast at ~4 seconds, then fireball, pyro travel time results in it hitting the boss at 0 but trinkets will already be procced as soon as it's in the air.

retired, another victim of warlords of draenor