Is quartz bar accurate with the ping counter?

Its always higher than what it should be. I look at my pings to other games and its normal. The latency on the UI is normal too.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally It is accurate but If you mash buttons really hard It can be thrown off and show that you have 600-700ms when you might only have 50ms. Try casting something and moving your character exactly when It hits the red part, It's usually point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Its always higher than what it should be. I look at my pings to other games and its normal. The latency on the UI is normal too.
    So... it depends. The way Quartz measures latency is that it tracks when the spell was sent to the server, and when the success happened, which means that it has a fairly reasonable and up to date idea how much time it took your *previous* spell to be processed. This is significantly more accurate than the latency from, eg, the WoW API which updates once every 30 seconds or so.

Anyway, there are a number of things that can influence that, but probably the most important one is that WoW (still) uses a single TCP connection to pass all the world stuff over. That includes your spell casts and the "success" message back from the server -- but also actions from everyone else, NPCs, etc, etc. You also have the processing delay on the server which, while lower than it used to be, is non-zero, especially in a busy environment.

This also means that it can't jump the queue for spell responses, and it is much more sensitive to performance issues from packet loss or delay than modern games. This is especially true if you are on a link with deep, full buffers, and/or have a wireless hop in there.