Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    A protest at a university?

This unprecedented event can only be the work of those dastardly SJWs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    They have a cave troll

Yeah, can't tell if GUY or GIRL, photo, very prudent to what she does, or doesn't have to say, as well as her looks!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Because they are poor because they thought standing on a sidewalk was more important than getting a job or an education and now they can't afford real microphones.
    I do agree that students tend to be a bit over reactive when it comes to protesting and do have a habit of glossing over key details, yet they have done a great amount of good in the world. They should be judged for what they stand for and their means of communicating their message, not for protesting in of itself.

But ya, they look like idiots talking into their phones and cameras at the same time :/.
    The caged bird sings /with a fearful trill /of things unknown /but longed for still /and his tune is heard /on the distant hill /for the caged bird/ sings of freedom.

blocking the black guy

good joke

isnt this america ? pull out your Gun and start shooting. i bet its get empty pretty fast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah, can't tell if GUY or GIRL, photo, very prudent to what she does, or doesn't have to say, as well as her looks!
    Wait, I just noticed "it" has 4 hands. (0_o) look in between the arms.....

Edit: seriously who's hands are those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable View Post

The person's on the right and left of her. She is part of a chain that is blocking peeps from entering by the look of things.
    The caged bird sings /with a fearful trill /of things unknown /but longed for still /and his tune is heard /on the distant hill /for the caged bird/ sings of freedom.

Deleted

They are restraining him/her/it I guess?
    Like that giant monster in 300 that the immortals released on the Spartans.

Deleted

the person standing next to them linking arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Anarchist View Post
    Considering it's the same cellphone everytime, my guess would be that it's the team doing the interview that are telling the students to use it as a microphone to talk into.
    Hmm, maybe though it is still odd. Pretty solid sound quality if it is the mic recording that we are hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    They have a cave troll
    Troll in the dungeons !
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    I'd just tell them to get the fuck out of my way. They dont even know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    blocking the black guy

good joke

isnt this america ? pull out your Gun and start shooting. i bet its get empty pretty fast
    LMFAO
    I cracked up, thanks
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Saying someone is in the wrong because they are white is racism.
    These people are saying that white people, on average, are more financially stable which is true. They are then saying that because they haven't experienced racism or poverty that them discrediting these things is ignorant and a result of privilege. In this case white privilege.

Things like racial profiling exist. School systems in ghetto areas are shit. Denying these things is ignorant and if someone of a different socioeconomic class says otherwise it is likely that they cannot empathize because they have never experienced such things because of their privilege. Putting white in front of it is simply because white people are the dominant race in America.

Is it prejudice? Yes. But prejudice is only racism if it fosters the belief that one race is inferior to another. Regardless though I don't think white privilege is the correct path to take in the quest for racial equality, but it does exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Anarchist View Post
    No they won't. Almost all of them will just grumble a bit and act like internet tough guys at worst on the internet for a moment. Most people can't be arsed to actively organize (physical) protests. Apathy is one of the reasons why obstruction is such a great and effective way of protesting nowadays.
    Heh. You sound like me in my mid 20s. It's heartwarming, really :]

Disruptive protest is indeed effective, but I'll question if students at Berkley -of all places- were not already overly aware of the issues these people are supposedly exposing. If you abide by the notion that there are no bad tactics, only bad targets, this is possibly the most absurd target they could find.

Obstruction indeed works to spread awareness. When we measure by efficiency. It does spread the word fast and wide. It also reinforces the positions of those opposing the ideals of the activist. It's a double edged sword in that sense. And this double edge makes itself manifest through history: is there any discussion about the suffragettes that doesn't include some form of "the net effect of militancy was to set back the cause"?.

Finally these protests have the power to swallow and diminish any other form activism: for people associate negatively the attempts of non-disruptive moves with those that inconvenience them. Attempts at measuring their impact as opposed to the non-disruptive kind are inherently biased: for the mere existence of disruptive movements disparage the effectiveness of the constructive ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    These people are saying that white people, on average, are more financially stable which is true. They are then saying that because they haven't experienced racism or poverty that them discrediting these things is ignorant and a result of privilege. In this case white privilege.

Things like racial profiling exist. School systems in ghetto areas are shit. Denying these things is ignorant and if someone of a different socioeconomic class says otherwise it is likely that they cannot empathize because they have never experienced such things because of their privilege. Putting white in front of it is simply because white people are the dominant race in America.

Is it prejudice? Yes. But prejudice is only racism if it fosters the belief that one race is inferior to another. Regardless though I don't think white privilege is the correct path to take in the quest for racial equality, but it does exist.
    So I am a white guy and I don't believe any race is inferior to another.
    So I can say anything without it being racism as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

Fair enough. I don't want to argue semantics with you when we seem to have similar end beliefs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    The idea that students weren't already aware is a ludacris one.

Especially given the school's reputation.
    Do you mean ludicrous? Should probably go with an easier word like laughable since you americans can't seem to spell anything these days :/

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    So I am a white guy and I don't believe any race is inferior to another.
    So I can say anything without it being racism as well?
    Taze him boys.
    Hes a racist.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

I don't know how anyone could defend this protest. What if one of these students trying to get to class had an exam? Any professor I've had would instantly give you a zero if you didn't get there to take it.

But I guess a kid losing out on a dream is worth the awareness created.

Unbelievable lack of respect towards other humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since almost none of the posts in this thread have been constructive discussion, but a mix of death-wishing, personal attacks, and so forth, I'm locking this.