What is the process like exactly when it comes to new dungeons/skins?

Since it's brought up by Blizzard and the community once a while, I've always been curious how long exactly in details does it take to build a new dungeon instance or a new mount [non re-skinned]? I'm aware no one here would probably know the exact details but if anyone could base it on their own general experience would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Since it's brought up by Blizzard and the community once a while, I've always been curious how long exactly in details does it take to build a new dungeon instance or a new mount [non re-skinned]? I'm aware no one here would probably know the exact details but if anyone could base it on their own general experience would be appreciated.
    No clue - but my limited experience with 3d modeling says that it's not something you get done in a day.

An instance I could see taking several months, from working out optimal zones for the gameplay, designing the route through it (and checking to make sure it can't be exploited), then starting in on textures, props, lighting - it's a lot of work. Plus, you have to figure they go back and forth on issues, trying different things out, or last minute changes, or they have to adapt existing rooms/regions for new boss mechanics. Like, if they add a feature to a boss that throws the characters around, is the ceiling high enough? Is there any way for players to fall off the stage? Do we need invisible walls for that? For more complicated rooms, like Ji-Kun, you have to test the effects of getting blown off the platforms as well. For a raid like Ulduar or ICC, I could see 3-4 months, easy, if not longer.

A new mount is relatively easier - especially since they re-use the skeletons and motion capture. Depends on the level of detail, too - the high end traveler's mount from MoP is covered in doodads and textures - the raven is a recolor. I could see knocking out a simple mount in a week. If they need to do motion capture or design new animation or it has complicated texture and UV maps, longer.

My experience with my own modeling is (and from knowing some people who work in gaming), the broad strokes are done quickly, the fine tuning can take considerably longer, and that's for objects and figures. An environment like a dungeon or raid, vastly more complicated, you have multiple teams using it - the encounter designers, the raid designer (Wendy something or other, she's been there forever), the modelers, the texture team, the prop team, the lighting and special effects guys, and the technical, under the hood guys. It's a considerable amount of work to get one up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    http://www.quora.com/How-long-does-i...l-from-scratch

The answers there are pretty accurate, especially the ones that are, like, "you just asked me 'how long is a piece of rope?'".

So, it depends. Since you said not reskinned, you need design, model, animation and rigging, skin, etc, so that puts it on the bigger side. Likewise instances are big efforts for the same sort of reason.