Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    She was assaulted by that cop and her property was destroyed. She was filming police standing on a public street. Anyone who thinks otherwise, you're the problem and the reason why these people get away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    She is filming him without his consent, it can put him in harms way if people know he is a cop and she has no business filming this guy.

He did the correct thing.
    Actually, no court has ruled that police have any right to decide who can film them. If anything, court rulings are saying that you have a Right to Film anything happening in public spaces. Of course you can't actually interfere while doing so, but mere filming doesn't count as interference.

What's really needed is a requirement that police get the equivalent of malpractice insurance, and have the local governments no longer be on the hook for lawsuits against their officers.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

This actually has happened a lot, and laws very state by state on your right to record police, but police have no right to destroy your property, I would sue his ass not for the money but to teach him and other police a lesson.

Know your rights! http://reason.com/archives/2012/04/0...cording-police

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I wouldn't want to be filmed out of nowhere too, especially when I knew that people desperately try to dump loads of blame and hate on me.
    I can't see the video now, but if it's true that she did it provokingly close and in a disturbing way, the reaction would at least be understandable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Well, I wouldn't want to be filmed out of nowhere too, especially when I knew that people desperately try to dump loads of blame and hate on me.
    I can't see the video now, but if it's true that she did it provokingly close and in a disturbing way, the reaction would at least be understandable.
    Direct quote from the article:

A woman standing roughly 15 feet from two of the officers is heard repeatedly telling them to keep their distance. She appears to be recording the officers with a cellphone or camera held close to her chest.

“I have the right to be here. You’re making me feel unsafe,” she says. It’s unknown if the officers had already ordered her to move further away.

A third officer holding a rifle appears in the video and approaches the woman. As she backs away he dashes forward and grabs the camera from her hands before throwing it to the ground and kicking it.
    You can hear her just saying this and standing there. They are clearly doing a job, they are there to prevent the bigger threat which would make her unsafe. Yet their presence is making her feel unsafe. I'm sure she'd feel so much safer with the criminals just being there with no police presence.

This woman is moronic.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    She was told repeatedly to leave the area.
    She was provoking them intentionally.
    She is at fault, it was a setup.
    Planning it in advance with someone else filming it.
    Makes it obvious to anyone not in denial.
    Then the marshal was an idiot for falling into the trap. It really doesn't matter how you spin, in the end, she was not harming him by being antagonistic and in return he destroyed her property. Having a badge doesn't mean you can "do whatever the fuck I want and get away with it". She should charge him for destruction of property just like he was anyone else, he should probably be fined and reprimanded and everyone go on their merry way

(Note: I'm not saying execute the guy cause hes a marshal and should be held to a higher standard. I specifically said treat him just like any other joe, including charging him for his lack of self control.)
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post

You can hear her just saying this and standing there. They are clearly doing a job, they are there to prevent the bigger threat which would make her unsafe. Yet their presence is making her feel unsafe. I'm sure she'd feel so much safer with the criminals just being there with no police presence.

This woman is moronic.
    So from that description of a video, the only conclusion that you drew is that the woman was an idiot?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaojin View Post
    (Note: I'm not saying execute the guy cause hes a marshal and should be held to a higher standard. I specifically said treat him just like any other joe, including charging him for his lack of self control.)
    Exactly this.

This woman is moronic.
    I don't disagree but at the same time the officer should just have arrested her ass instead of destroying her phone, she baited him and he took the bait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    So from that description of a video, the only conclusion that you drew is that the woman was an idiot?
    I watched it too.

I've made my opinion clear on the first page. Was he right to do what he did? No. Do I blame him? No.

They're doing a police operation, one that they have enough questions over that they need to wear body armour and carry rifles. The last thing anyone needs is some idiot standing 15 feet behind them shouting "I DO NOT FEEL SAFE" and filming them. That's not only dangerous for them but dangerous for her.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

This woman reminds me of Annoy-o-Tron.

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    due to the nature of their job, u.s marshals are supposed to maintain anonymity and cant afford to be recorded while in the middle of a pending investigation.

having their faces pixelated makes total sense. as for their actions, confiscation of the device with compensation should have been enough, i doubt they were trying to save the world so its not like it was supersecret and deemed the destruction of video evidence necessary..

2nd person recording them could have , and probably still can, get into a lot of trouble as the information released could compromise the identity of the marshals.. tsk tsk.. why dont people just mind their own businesses
    It's honestly like you're living in another world.

Uniformed officers on a public street have no expectation of privacy, unless you're a cop worshipper.

That's how our laws work. "Don't like it, get 'em changed!" Oh wait, cops have tried and failed to do that already.

"The camera was resisting arrest."

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    She has the right to film them. U.S. Marshall didn't have the right to stop her.
    He assaulted her and destroyed her property. He should have been arrested by the other cops but they were cool with him committing a few crimes.

I watched it too.

I've made my opinion clear on the first page. Was he right to do what he did? No. Do I blame him? No.

They're doing a police operation, one that they have enough questions over that they need to wear body armour and carry rifles. The last thing anyone needs is some idiot standing 15 feet behind them shouting "I DO NOT FEEL SAFE" and filming them. That's not only dangerous for them but dangerous for her.
    When you ask the question, "Was he right to do what he did?" and you answer "No", then that's really all you need. You can understand the why and how of it all, and you can acknowledge that the woman was definitely trying to bait him. Ultimately, he's responsible for his own actions. I don't want him fired either, and, in the grand scheme of things, this is kind of trivial. He still needs to be accountable. She didn't do anything illegal, he did.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you ask the question, "Was he right to do what he did?" and you answer "No", then that's really all you need. You can understand the why and how of it all, and you can acknowledge that the woman was definitely trying to bait him. Ultimately, he's responsible for his own actions. I don't want him fired either, and, in the grand scheme of things, this is kind of trivial. He still needs to be accountable. She didn't do anything illegal, he did.
    Mitigating circumstances matter, I never said he shouldn't be held accountable. This whole thing is pathetic start to finish.

Her behavior should be actively dissuaded. Hiding nearby filming this incident in another house that's fine but getting in the way and being a pain in the ass (which is exactly what standing 5m away shouting and filming is) is as much obstruction of a police effort as anything else.

It's not like cops run sting operations on civilians or anything, and then throw them in jail.

If he's willing to assault that woman in broad daylight and destroy her camera, I somehow doubt he'd hesitate to destroy evidence of wrongdoing in more serious situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    It's not like cops run sting operations on civilians or anything, and then throw them in jail.

If he's willing to assault that woman in broad daylight and destroy her camera, I somehow doubt he'd hesitate to destroy evidence of wrongdoing in more serious situations.
    That's what worries me, if he loses his cool from this crazy lady imagine when he is dealing with a real threat!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    She could have been shot, we all know how dangerous cops are.
    Yeah and there could have been someone in the bushes waiting to shot at the cops to "defend" her too. Or maybe a guy in a panda suit COULD have wandered by and ask them all if they wanted some candy.

I bet it was a setup and she was wanting a new phone but was looking for a way to get a new free Iphone6!

LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    You want to record? Do it. But shut your stupid whore mouth. Fucking annoying twat.

I don't know what she was saying, but I'm sure it was pointless obnoxious drivel.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    You want to record? Do it. But shut your stupid whore mouth. Fucking annoying twat.

I don't know what she was saying, but I'm sure it was pointless obnoxious drivel.
    You'd be right.

She stood behind some people saving her from a bigger threat and shouted "I DO NOT FEEL SAFE" suggesting that the reason she does not feel safe is their presence rather than the criminal they are apprehending or the criminal operation they are shutting down or chasing.

The anti-police mentality in the USA is ridiculous, behavior such as hers is appalling and counter productive.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Ironic spelling mistakes aside, do the US marshalls wear ninja masks?

If not it seems your first line is detatched from reality.
    Police doing operations where they fear retaliation do, in fact, wear masks / balaclavas.
    For example, in Spain the Guardia Civil wear them when arresting ETA criminals, same for French police arresting Corsican Separatists, etc.

If these marshals were legitimately in that sort of position, the burden is on them given the ubiquity of video recording devices.