10+ Year Old Account

A good desk? Preferably L Shape

Hey guys. I suppose this is the best spot to put this topic at since it's technically computer oriented. I'm looking to buy a new desk to replace my broken down POS from 2006. I've been trying to find one that would work out well for under $300 and I'm not having much luck. I heard a bunch of people raving about the Ikea Galant desk, but it's been discontinued apparently. I was about to buy http://www.amazon.com/Space-Saver-Co..._cd_al_qh_dp_i but then I found out the keyboard tray is too short. A mouse can't fit beside a keyboard on it from what I've read which sucks.

So I'm hoping to see what you guys might be able to recommend me. As I said before I'd prefer an L shape, but if they all have the same problem with the keyboard tray as the above one does then I'd look into any others. And my budget is around $300.

Thanks guys!

One thing that you could do is get two of their tabletops and just put them next to each other.

Their tabletops - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...kspaces/11844/

They have options to get them with legs included or legs separately (so you can choose exactly what you want). They come pre-drilled with the holes for the legs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the desk you linked, in a darker colour. Though over here in the UK it's sold by a company called Piranha. Were I to use my keyboard tray with the Razer Blackwidow, then my mousemat would overhang by almost 2 inches.

Have you considered though, setting the keyboard and mouse on top? I seriously use the keyboard tray just to dump things I might need soon, but want out of the way. Most keyboard trays I've seen on desks tend to be about the same size, so I can see this being an issue with a lot of potential desks.

Deleted
    have a look for the ikea Bekant, it comes in a corner model and is a rock solid desk. I was considering getting the sit stand version but ended up being perfectly happy with the normal frame (also much cheaper). The legs are height adjustable to get things just right. I prefer a slightly lower desk and my screen raised rather than a keyboard tray so this suits me. Frame is very, very sturdy. I was shocked at how substantial it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys thanks for the help. I'll have to look into that idea shaw, it seems like it might be perfect. And rixis, I did consider that, but I just don't know how comfortable it would be since I'm used to using a desk tray. I'll be upgrading my keyboard to the CM Storm Quickfire TK which is a more compact keyboard so that actually might fit on the tray with a mouse.

And smashorc, that is something I'm considering too. I was actually about to buy the bekant, but then I saw the shipping price. Ikea wants over $150 to ship the $220 desk which is.. too much, lol. I don't know if any other stores sell the bekant or not for cheaper shipping, but I'll do some digging to see if I can find out.

I do really like the idea of it being height adjustable. That's pretty awesome for me since I'm well over 6 feet and most desks are low. In fact I've got my current desk sitting on four square pegs to give it a lift.