Thread: Planet Speed

Planet Speed

I wonder if planetary velocity if governed in part by its density, and drag coefficient...

If planets orbit the gravity well of the sun in the fabric of space like a marble circling a bowling ball on a bedsheet...

i wonder if making something sufficiently small and dense will increase its gravity enough to allow it to travel the fabric of space in a similar manner, ike rolling a marble on it's own trajectory on that same bedsheet.

I imagine something with the density of the earth and the size of an aircraft carrier would be exponentially more nimble and mobile than a planet.

I am probably crazy though.

There's no drag in empty space.
    orbital speed is governed by mass and distance. A black hole the mass of the earth would travel just as fast around the sun.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2015-04-22 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing that noticeably effects an object in space once it's in motion is gravity or hitting something. That's ignoring complex things like dark energy...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

gravity is relative to an object's mass anyway, not its density.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

And Earth is about as large a planet as you're going to get that can actually leave. Any larger and the planet's gravity well makes it practically impossible to leave the atmosphere using conventional means. Earth is already right on the boundary itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put another way, gravity is relative to mass. Mass relative to volume givens us density. Weight is the effect of gravity on mass.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    gravity is relative to an object's mass anyway, not its density.
    density... mass... imaderp

also there most certainly is drag in space, on a planetary scale at least.

100-300 tonnes of cosmic dust enter the atmosphere each day.

Just like stationary air hitting a moving vehicle creates drag, stationary dust hitting a moving planet creates drag.
    (although the air and dust is not really stationary, just stationary relative to the object moving through it)

Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    also there most certainly is drag in space, on a planetary scale at least.
    Notice I wrote "empty space" to cover for that. The cosmic artifacts we go through are some 20 orders of magnitude smaller than the mass of the planet, or, in other words, negligible.

The mass of "space particles" are so insignificant compared to pretty much everything they impact that their effect is pretty much fuck all.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Notice I wrote "empty space" to cover for that. The cosmic artifacts we go through are some 20 orders of magnitude smaller than the mass of the planet, or, in other words, negligible.
    negligible, but not nonexistent.

When playing around with the sliders of fantasy physics, it would be truly nonexistent, and may have a significantly noticeable impact at that point.
    Last edited by Emageht Tsoluoy; 2015-04-22 at 11:13 PM. Reason: sprllng

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    The mass of "space particles" are so insignificant compared to pretty much everything they impact that their effect is pretty much fuck all.
    Millions and millions of dust particles over billions of years? For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Thanks Obama.

Just as an FYI:
    Satellite observations suggest that 100-300 tonnes of cosmic dust enter the atmosphere each day
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    negligible, but not nonexistent.

When playing around with the sliders of fantasy physics, it would be truly nonexistent, and may have a significantly noticeable impact at that point.
    Negligible to the point that over the course of several billion years, there has been no real change as a result.

Why are you even arguing, when it's clear you know nothing about astrophysics?

10+ Year Old Account
    These threads always end up becoming a bunch of people who know nothing about the subject arguing over incorrect facts and assumptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    These threads always end up becoming a bunch of people who know nothing about the subject arguing over incorrect facts and assumptions.
    Isn't that more or less all of the Internet?

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Negligible to the point that over the course of several billion years, there has been no real change as a result.

Why are you even arguing, when it's clear you know nothing about astrophysics?
    Yes. /10chars