Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Something that several of you seem to have missed:

The Woman who was fired WAS A MANAGER.

She wasnt a till-jockey. She was middle tier management (probably a shift supervisor or something similar). It is PART OF HER JOB to ensure that cash from registers is collected and dropped into the deposit safe on busy days. She even ADMITTED that it was a busy day, so she should have been on top of that.

While it is definately not a proper move on the part of her boss to request she pay back the excess cash, they would be well within their rights to sack her ass for failing to follow policy guidelines.

I do the same job at a local theatre multiplex, and you can bet your ass that if we got robbed on a busy day, and the audit department determined that I had been slacking on my due diligence in collecting extra cash from the tills, I would be looking for a new job faster then you can blink.
    While this is the case, if the store is understaffed(which these stores often are), she's basically a register monkey or a cook, often both, in addition to her managerial duties. It's not surprising that too much money might be in the register if they got hit by a rush and did not have the staff to handle it(which is very likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    While this is the case, if the store is understaffed(which these stores often are), she's basically a register monkey or a cook, often both, in addition to her managerial duties. It's not surprising that too much money might be in the register if they got hit by a rush and did not have the staff to handle it(which is very likely).
    It's also possible that she simply failed to do her job.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I know a McDonald's manager. At the start of your shift someone won't show up so you get on the phone and beg, threaten reason with people to come in. If they don't you have to do multiple jobs. Now that the economy is better people are leaving that kind of work for better jobs and that makes it harder to staff. They need to raise the pay.

She should've gotten a reprimand for leaving that much money in the register, not fired.

I like how the reporter and camera crew chased the owner across the parking lot asking for a comment. The owner probably got a call from the franchise.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huoyue View Post
    It's also possible that she simply failed to do her job.
    Certainly possible too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I know a McDonald's manager. At the start of your shift someone won't show up so you get on the phone and beg, threaten reason with people to come in. If they don't you have to do multiple jobs. Now that the economy is better people are leaving that kind of work for better jobs and that makes it harder to staff. They need to raise the pay.

She should've gotten a reprimand for leaving that much money in the register, not fired.

I like how the reporter and camera crew chased the owner across the parking lot asking for a comment. The owner probably got a call from the franchise.
    Yeah, corporate doesn't like it when bad PR shows up that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Well the article does say she broke policy multiple times as far as not collecting money goes. Chances are she had been reprimanded in the past: that not keeping up with the money had been an ongoing issue with her, and the robbery was a sort of last straw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Or if you live in the real world where yes, these things matter.

But you keep on valiantly defending the company's decision. That they reversed and issued an apology for, giving her back her job and far more in back pay than was ever stolen.

I doubt this was really "what the company wanted" anyway, sounds like a rogue manager.

How I read it was a manager fired a person, and upper management overturned it after backlash. Hard to tell how they actually felt about the firing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Have you ever been in a situation similar to the woman above? Or do you simply cast judgement from a pedestal of assumptions?
    Have I been robbed? Not, at gun point no. What does this play on emotions have to do with anything? Oh thats right, nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Her reality is that she failed to do her job. The failure occured BEFORE the situation with the gun and robbery occured, but was highlighted by its occurance. Not sure what more needs to be said.

The fact that she was held at gunpoint and robbed really has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she failed to follow proper cash handling prociedures.

And nice moving of the goalposts there. I mean, I guess in your initial statement you really meant to say "exactly identical" instead of "similar", but I can totally see how you could get the two mixed up.
    But she is a WOMAN, and she is PREGNANT. HAVE YOU NO HEART!?!?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Can you even be legally held responsible for money lost during a storm arm robbery? I find that hard to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I am not sure what they do with their cash, but when I worked in a petrol station we were only allowed something like 200$ in the till at a time, any excess was to be put in a drop safe that can only be opened by offsite security people. Real simple right?

In reality, you need to feed the notes into the safe one by one. This can take an awful lot of time if you end up with a lot of cash which in a petrol station can happen in 5 minutes. When it is busy you can EITHER feed the safe, or you can serve people...simple? And yes, customers are always understanding when there are two people in the store, one is crouched down doing *something* behind the counter while the other is trying to mow through the 10+ people queue you are waiting in.
    I have had 3 jobs that required cash drops. The worst was game crazy on any holiday. Lines 10 people long required to do a drop every time your till got above 250.
    How much do big consoles cost? More than 250? Yeh I would be doing drops every other customer some times. IT blows. Its part of the job. You deal with it not ignore it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huoyue View Post
    I do wonder if this would have even been a big thing if it was a man instead, or if she wasn't pregnant.

The only real relevant pieces of information here are

1. She was a manager
    2. She didn't do her job
    3. Because she didn't do her job, she was fired
    Bu buuu....BUT EMOTIONS AND FEELINGS!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    People that say she deserved to be fired amaze me. It's quite clear you have never worked in fast food or retail and have no idea what you're talking about. I worked at wal-Mart for many years cashiering. Do you have any idea how much friggin money is in each and every one of those tills when it's busy? Our first and number one rule...from management and from corporate...."If you're ever threatened with a weapon or you percieve a person's threat as life threatening......give them the money. DO NOT try to be a hero...open the register and give it to them." I don't care who you are...peon or CEO...a few hundred dollars are not worth losing your life or even your job...give them the money..period. When a business is bustling there is no way she could have known exactly how much money was in the registers anyway. Ever watched the asshats that like to go into fast food places and bitch about every little thing? Managers are no way responsible for a robbery. Popeyes sucks anyway...she should quit and go to a decent place.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    People that say she deserved to be fired amaze me. It's quite clear you have never worked in fast food or retail and have no idea what you're talking about. I worked at wal-Mart for many years cashiering. Do you have any idea how much friggin money is in each and every one of those tills when it's busy? Our first and number one rule...from management and from corporate...."If you're ever threatened with a weapon or you percieve a person's threat as life threatening......give them the money. DO NOT try to be a hero...open the register and give it to them." I don't care who you are...peon or CEO...a few hundred dollars are not worth losing your life or even your job...give them the money..period. When a business is bustling there is no way she could have known exactly how much money was in the registers anyway. Ever watched the asshats that like to go into fast food places and bitch about every little thing? Managers are no way responsible for a robbery. Popeyes sucks anyway...she should quit and go to a decent place.

Part of her job was to do drops in a timely manner to protect the money from robbery. She failed to do that. I cant believe how many people are excusing her inability to do her job.

If you suck at your job, especially if your suck-ness results in things being worse than they could have been had you not been sucking at your job, you usually get fired.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    If you suck at your job, especially if your suck-ness results in things being worse than they could have been had you not been sucking at your job, you usually get fired.
    Sooooo...it's her fault the place got robbed then? Because she sucks...right? Good logic.

Sooooo...it's her fault the place got robbed then? Because she sucks...right? Good logic.
    Please don't question my logic when you miss the point entirely. She wasn't doing her job regardless. The robbery is incidental. But since she was shit at her job, the robbery was worse financially to the business than it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    It's increasingly common to use registers that lockdown after X amount of money has been put into them so that you can't continue until a manager has come to do a drop.

If they're that concerned about it, they can use some of the insurance payout from the robbery to invest in some.

PS: There's no apostrophe in the name of the chain because the founder didn't have enough money to buy one for the sign originally. Fun fact.
    Or maybe I don't know, expect their employees to do their fucking job as trained.

Its her fault more money than necessary was stolen in that robbery.

It had been an ongoing issue that she wasn't clearing registers like she's supposed to. If you worked retail, you would know its something you have to be constantly doing and she wasn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real question is who eats at Popeye's ISH!

Just kidding, this is horrible, add insult to injury, hope she sues.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    The real question is who eats at Popeye's ISH!

Just kidding, this is horrible, add insult to injury, hope she sues.
    Sues for what, the privilege to do her job shittily?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Sues for what, the privilege to do her job shittily?
    No for being fired unfairly for circumstances she had no control. It be like taking away their food license because someone died from being allergic to something Popeyes cooked. But if that's something you support so be it.

I think firing this woman was pretty shitty thus news.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No for being fired unfairly for circumstances she had no control. It be like taking away their food license because someone died from being allergic to something Popeyes cooked. But if that's something you support so be it.

I think firing this woman was pretty shitty thus news.
    From what I understand she had control over the money on hand, so she lost them money which possibly isn't recoverable from their insurance. It's often a sackable offence to not follow store policy regarding cash.