Page 1 of 46
... LastLast

Steam Workshop goes Market

Starting with Skyrim, Workshop Modders can now set prices for their mods. Guess in the long run every workshop mod for every game will have that option, which will end up in all mods costing money

Quote Originally Posted by Darometh View Post
    Starting with Skyrim, Workshop Modders can now set prices for their mods. Guess in the long run every workshop mod for every game will have that option, which will end up in all mods costing money
    *through Steam

I'm sure there will still be plenty of mods that will be free through Steam and elsewhere. I don't see what the issue is in giving mod creators the ability to monetize their work, or for Steam to make money off of the service they provide with the Workshop.

Gopher is already on the topic.

I don't like this I don't like this one bit.

I think this would be awesome if modders could choose a pay-what-you-want or pay-if-you-want. I'm sure there are lots of modders out there who are happy working for free but wouldn't mind getting a bit of pocket money. Likewise a lot of players are probably willing to pay for a mod they really like, but won't want to put cash upfront.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Should have had a donate feature, not turned the awesome community workshop into a storefront for people to shill DLC. Worst fucking thing steam has ever done. Fuck this. Can't say how much I dislike this enough. I will never, ever pay anyone for their work now. Not ever.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    *through Steam

I'm sure there will still be plenty of mods that will be free through Steam and elsewhere. I don't see what the issue is in giving mod creators the ability to monetize their work, or for Steam to make money off of the service they provide with the Workshop.
    I do see a problem.
    Steam will make money out of people for doing absolutly nothing. (and a share also goes to beshidia, leaving moders with less money for sure)
    Good mod creators usualy have their own page and you can donate to them directly. (without any tax from other companys)

People make mods, because they like the game, not because they want to make money out of it.

Also that:
    Q. Can I sell a mod that contains artwork or content from another game or movie?
    A. You must have the necessary rights to post any content that you post to the Steam Workshop, whether it is for sale or not. If you upload copyrighted content that you or your contributors do not have the rights to distribute, then you may forfeit all earned revenue from the item, may be liable for damages and compensation, and may be banned from future participation in this Workshop or the Steam Community in general.

Q. What if I see someone posting content I've created?
    A. If someone has copied your work, please use the DMCA takedown notice.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent/

You can get most of the mods here for skyrim tho:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/topalltime/?
    (for free)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Yea this sucks majorly now everyones going to be charging for their mods
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Why would you even be using steam for mods anyways? Most of the time it screws up the load order and some mods are a pain to get working, especially if theyr equire SKSE and what not.

It was annoying to see like, a simple sword being charged for like 3 bucks though.

*snip*

So this is apparently a bethesda thing. They are the ones that fixed this shit.

Skyrim without mods is a extremily bugged piece of crap. Mods is the ONLY reason that game along with all the other games they released made it. Mods is the only reason skyrim have been this successful.

Now they stab themselves in the eye. Rip bethesta. You wont be missed

Do not promote piracy in these forums. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2015-04-23 at 07:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are giving the same option to modders as they did to artists, they give them a stream of revenue for the work while also taking a cut from it.

It beats having to rely on charity can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I think this would be awesome if modders could choose a pay-what-you-want or pay-if-you-want. I'm sure there are lots of modders out there who are happy working for free but wouldn't mind getting a bit of pocket money. Likewise a lot of players are probably willing to pay for a mod they really like, but won't want to put cash upfront.
    I'm sure the traditional method of them having donation links elsewhere will still be around. Don't see how this changes any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Steam will make money out of people for doing absolutly nothing. (and a share also goes to beshidia, leaving moders with less money for sure)
    Except for providing the platform on which the games are played (a platform that dramatically increases the potential reach of those games), the Workshop service which provides people with a great way to browse and find good mods, and now the ability for the mod creators to make some legal cash with their mods through negotiating agreements with the developers.

Except that. Yeah.

Good mod creators usualy have their own page and you can donate to them directly. (without any tax from other companys)
    This doesn't change that in any way, shape or form. I don't get why this is being brought up.

People make mods, because they like the game, not because they want to make money out of it.
    Cool, then they'll continue to make mods for free because they like the game. Again, nothing is changing here, there will still be free mods on the Workshop and sites like Nexus aren't going anywhere.

Also that:
    Q. Can I sell a mod that contains artwork or content from another game or movie?
    A. You must have the necessary rights to post any content that you post to the Steam Workshop, whether it is for sale or not. If you upload copyrighted content that you or your contributors do not have the rights to distribute, then you may forfeit all earned revenue from the item, may be liable for damages and compensation, and may be banned from future participation in this Workshop or the Steam Community in general.
    ...so? These mods will still exist, you just can't sell them if they include copyrighted material, they have to be remain free. So again, nothing at all is changing.

Q. What if I see someone posting content I've created?
    A. If someone has copied your work, please use the DMCA takedown notice.
    ?

You can get most of the mods here for skyrim tho:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/topalltime/?
    (for free)
    Yup, which is why I'm wondering why people are freaking out so much. I keep seeing people act is if there will no longer be free mods and it's confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Yea this sucks majorly now everyones going to be charging for their mods
    Doubtful. Doing so limits your exposure, and considering how many folks have ended up with game dev jobs because their mods got super popular and ended up in the hands of some recruiters/devs who reached out to them, there's a definite benefit to keeping your mod free if you are looking to get into the industry.

nickel and diming: how to kill a community.

Deleted
    A more supportive donate function would be better, I refuse to pay for a mod. I'd possibly support the overall work of the person who makes mods, but never for a mod.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    They are giving the same option to modders as they did to artists, they give them a stream of revenue for the work while also taking a cut from it.

It beats having to rely on charity can't argue with that.
    Except that you already have to download the best mods now through other websites because of the complex installation of said mods. If I won't get it on steam I will find a torrent of the mod.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it doesn't work steam will pull it, only know modders will be able to sell their work. People are also overplaying this mods are going for a few cents to a few dollars.

I find it normal that real big mods with real large overhauls are able to be bring in some money for the creator. Modders won't over price this as they are better of sell large amounts of their mod then the other way around, this will all be regulated by you the players. Donations didn't work because barely anyone donated.

It's already begun. Looks like the mod "Wet and Cold" has been put on steam for money and gave the new 2.0 update while the nexus version of it seems to have not been updated/forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    If it doesn't work steam will pull it, only know modders will be able to sell their work. People are also overplaying this mods are going for a few cents to a few dollars.

I find it normal that real big mods with real large overhauls are able to be bring in some money for the creator. Modders won't over price this as they are better of sell large amounts of their mod then the other way around, this will all be regulated by you the players. Donations didn't work because barely anyone donated.
    Demanding money for side content feels like an attack on your wallet, I for one refuse to pay for a mod even if it would be 10cents. If I'd want to support someone I'd donate a few euros.

I already refuse to pay for DLC unless I know it's quality content and it doesn't feel like it was cut from the original game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wet and Cold costs €4,59. As much a Game on Sale...

Feels like having to pay for the Air you've been breathing your entire life.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    It's already begun. Looks like the mod "Wet and Cold" has been put on steam for money and gave the new 2.0 update while the nexus version of it seems to have not been updated/forgotten.
    Yea i just looked, the dark ages are upon us
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post
    Wet and Cold costs €4,59. As much a Game on Sale...

Feels like having to pay for the Air you've been breathing your entire life.
    The price starts at 0,92...the shown price is 4.59, why would scare away potential customers by showing more money then they need to pay.