Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    i think people are forgetting something when it comes to a donation button

it's going to be Pay what you want or nothing at all

there's not going to be a donation button cus it will eventually be the same as a pay-what-you-want and both valve and bethesda still had to profit of it in some kind of way

just stop being cheap asshats that wanne use someones mod for 40 hours and then not pay cus you don't give a crap about the modder, if you care about them then just go donate to one of their donate links, srsly

10+ Year Old Account
    Where does it say you can pay nothing at all? if anything gaben talked about a minimum ammount you can pay, not nothing, and this will create more altruism between modders to not share knowledge nor their content at all if there's a risk that the other person will profit from your aid.

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    just stop being cheap asshats that wanne use someones mod for 40 hours and then not pay cus you don't give a crap about the modder, if you care about them then just go donate to one of their donate links, srsly
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA No, if the mod doesnt work after the first 24 hrs you dloaded it (you prolly got around what 4 hrs of game time on a regular day?) you can't get a refund, yeah, no, brilliant idea, if it's a new mod that's paid i dont know how to measure how good the mod will be or how much milleage wil i get from it, when it comes to AAA DLC you can get information on various sites
    Last edited by barackopala; 2015-04-26 at 03:20 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

What worries me is that no one is seeing the next phase of this - mod content being locked exclusively to the Steam Workshop in future games. Valve is using the classic red herring trick of saying its for the good of modders and the community when really it's to line their pockets, like any corporation. Here's my long-winded blog post if interested:

http://www.indebtedgamers.com/mods-for-money/

10+ Year Old Account

there's not going to be a donation button cus it will eventually be the same as a pay-what-you-want and both valve and bethesda still had to profit of it in some kind of way

so modding should only be for those who have money to spare gotcha. if that's the case than i'm done with modding as i have a very limited income.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-04-26 at 03:59 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

glad to see that people are starting to calm down and look over the whole thing

Atleast the bullshit with Valve taking 75% for themself is over
    and people are starting to actually wait and see what will happen before they come with their final answer

+ to Valve for not listening to the community and removing a feature that has barely been tested
    I sincerely hope people don't calm down. The fact of the matter is modding is an amateur hobby. Amateurs shouldn't be paid like professionals. Just because my neighbor (amateur) knows a little about plumbing doesn't not mean he deserves pay like a real plumber (professional) for the same work. If the someone wants to throw someone a Twenty for helping them out, that's a different story. That's fine. Technically, according to the EULA of Creation Kit, anything you create belongs to them.

“…If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials, You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit. You also waive and agree never to assert against Bethesda Softworks or its affiliates, distributors or licensors any moral rights or similar rights, however designated, that You may have in or to any of the New Materials…”
    These modders went in knowing that the mods they create aren't their property. No modder in their right mind was expecting to come out of modding with a fat payday. Anyone who thinks a corporation like Valve is doing this for the good of the modders and the community is completely naive. Its all about money. It always is with corporations. Almost all of these modders already have donation tabs, and I know they get money (and 100% of it, not 25%) because I and friends have donated directly towards them. Im sure it's not as much as it should be, but again they are amateurs creating content that isn't licensed to them. If you're in modding for the money, then go create your own game where you own the content. This move is all about greed, pure and simple. On top of all that, no modder is going to be able to live off of 25% of the sales. They won't be able to quit their day job for that small of a cut. Valve is just bleeding the community dry and exerting their dominance of the PC marker into all corners

How is that bad?

People most of the time make mods for themselves and then make them publically available.

Granted there are some mods that are AAA quality, but not a lot of them, so I don't know how many are worth my hard earned money.

Not only do some people not have a lot of disposable income, but modding has never been about money. It never has been, never should be, and never will be.

I think you have a woeful misunderstanding of how many mods people use. Like I said earlier, I use over 100 individual mods. If those costed me 1-3 dollars each I'd be looking at 100-300 dollars just for mods. That is clearly extremely unreasonable, especially for a 3.5 year old game.

Yes those people should be allowed to make money, but it should be done through a donate button, not a forced (fuck you, pay me) pay wall.

Also the fact that any of you think this is about the mod creators when valve/beth instantly skim 75% off the top to fill their already overflowing pockets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Some of them are gone and put behind the paywall. It's only a matter of time until all free mods stop receiving updates or be created at all.
    well then it's only a matter of time until i'm done with skyrim completely. as oblivion's mods are free. i don't have the income to pay 10$ 15$ or even 5$ per mod when last time i checked i have at least 50 of them.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so modding should only be for those who have money to spare gotcha. if that's the case than i'm done with modding as i have a very limited income.
    no
    but the only complain i hear is people whining that some of their mods will now cost money and they are therefor against it because they want all thier 300+ mods without having to pay anything for any of them

they then go on to say it should be free with a donation even tho most people are actually never going to use it to donate with

you are not required to pay for mods, most mods will still be free

10+ Year Old Account
    no
    but the only complain i hear is people whining that some of their mods will now cost money and they are therefor against it because they want all thier 300+ mods without having to pay anything

they then go on to say it should be free with a donation even tho most people are never going to donate
    Got any proof to back that up? if i had 300 mods and they went on sale i'd download 2-3 at most, only the most reputable ones that add considerable content akin to good dlc and that would be a stretch considering they might stop working on a later patch down the line. Thank god for mod piracy
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    How is that bad?

People most of the time make mods for themselves and then make them publically available.

Granted there are some mods that are AAA quality, but not a lot of them, so I don't know how many are worth my hard earned money.

Not only do some people not have a lot of disposable income, but modding has never been about money. It never has been, never should be, and never will be.

I think you have a woeful misunderstanding of how many mods people use. Like I said earlier, I use over 100 individual mods. If those costed me 1-3 dollars each I'd be looking at 100-300 dollars just for mods. That is clearly extremely unreasonable, especially for a 3.5 year old game.

Yes those people should be allowed to make money, but it should be done through a donate button, not a forced (fuck you, pay me) pay wall.
    someone worked on making that mod and you wanna use 100+ mods that 100+ people created without ever giving them a penny
    now they have the option to get money for their work and people get mad because some of their mods will no longer be free
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Got any proof to back that up? if i had 300 mods and they went on sale i'd download 2-3 at most, only the most reputable ones that add considerable content akin to good dlc and that would be a stretch considering they might stop working on a later patch down the line. Thank god for mod piracy
    people act like all of their 300+ mods will now all cost 2 bucks ea and they're forced to spend 600 bucks on playing their game
    that's just not how it's going to work, if every mod was a paid mod the community would just die out, it will likely adjust itself meaning that very good mods will be paid and with a lot of free mods still going

the modder can even just put it up as pay-what-you-want and set the minimum to $0 making it free with the option of paying if you like it

all i'm saying is that people seem to not give two shits about the actual modder but only how they won't get stuff for free
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2015-04-26 at 04:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lord Gaben why!!!!!

someone worked on making that mod and you wanna use 100+ mods that 100+ people created without ever giving them a penny
    now they have the option to get money for their work and people get mad because some of their mods will no longer be free
    It's a hobby, they could have just added a donation button.

People are mad because the only reason people still play this mediocre game is because of the mods. If I have to stop using mods because they are pay wall exclusives, then they have objectively made the modding scene worse.

I mean, look at all these potential candidates for mods.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2015-04-26 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    It's a hobby, they could have just added a donation button.

People are mad because the only reason people still play this mediocre game is because of the mods. If I have to stop using mods because they are pay wall exclusives, then they have objectively made the modding scene worse.
    they can still add a donation link to their description they can still ask people to donate if they like their mods, that option is not dead.
    Now they can just get some money out of their mod if they feel like it

the system is not inteded to make modding into a full time job, it's not intended to give you enough money to not having to work

people are not going to pay for troll and shitty mods, it won't sell, so the modder gets nothing out of making it a paid mod, and the people using the mods didn't lose or miss out on anything because the mod does nothing to improve the game
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2015-04-26 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    they can still add a donation link to their description they can still ask people to donate if they like their mods, that option is not dead.
    let's be honest what are most if not all modders who go this route are going to opt for? the donation button(not guaranteed money) or what effectively amounts to a paywall? part of the argument for pc gaming has been that even though pc's are more expensive than consoles you can always mod a game like skyrim even if it comes out buggy or if you just want to customize it for no extra money....now that's sort of being taken away abit. now if i wanted to customize skyrim like it currently is and let's say each mod is at the best estimate 5-15$ each (highly unlikely) that would mean skyrim would cost me anywhere from 80$ to 810$ to play the way i want to.

for that money i could buy a new computer or a console 2 controllers and about 3-5 games.
    because if you think modders will continue to release mods for .25-2.99$ per mod thats not going to happen for very long since that won't pay the bills unless your a really good modder.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-04-26 at 08:05 PM.

But there is clear evidence of people not doing that.

Also, once they make a big boom of income, what is their incentive to continue support of the mod? What exactly is my money buying, they could literally stop updating that mod in a week and then I get fucked over.

It is a cash grab tactic, not a modder support tactic.

Here is a mod that is being sold right now

This mod requires another mod "SKSE" to run. That mod happens to be free right now, but if that mod goes paid, you would have to buy both for it to work. Not only that, but does Isoku (the mod creator) have the right to sell that mod? He is using someone else's assets in his mod.

There is a DMCA takedown on that mod also, so say I bought the mod, if it gets taken down, what happens to me? Do I get my money back.

Valve is well known for the fact that they can't do quality control, valve is well known for having terrible customer service, WHY SHOULD I TRUST THEM TO DO THIS CORRECTLY?

the system is not inteded to make modding into a full time job, it's not intended to give you enough money to not having to work
    If you want to make money off your coding prowess, get a game design job.

This is modding, modding isn't about this.

Let me remind you that once you put your paid mod up on the workshop, it no longer belongs to you. Yup, Valve's lawyers simply refuse to take it down (Not to mention the numbers sway heavily towards Bethesda and Valve, the modders themselves are getting barely anything).

- - - Updated - - -

people are not going to pay for troll and shitty mods, it won't sell, so the modder gets nothing out of making it a paid mod, and the people using the mods didn't lose or miss out on anything because the mod does nothing to improve the game
    I belive Valve started taking down donation links
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    also i don't have a problem with modders making money off their work...it's when you start requiring what can quickly add up to absurd amounts of money to make a game workable that it becomes a issue for me and people with limited income who might otherwise have supported the modder financially but now won't because the cost is too prohibitive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    let's be honest what are must if not all modders who go this route are going to opt for? the donation button(not guaranteed money) or what effectively amounts to a paywall? part of the argument for pc gaming has been that even though pc's are more expensive than consoles you can always mod a game like skyrim even if it comes out buggy or if you just want to customize it for no extra money....now that's sort of being taken away abit. now if i wanted to customize skyrim like it currently is and let's say each mod is at the best estimate 5-15$ each (highly unlikely) that would mean skyrim would cost me anywhere from 80$ to 810$ to play the way i want to.

for that money i could buy a new computer or a console 2 controllers and about 3-5 games.
    because if you think modders will continue to release mods for .25-2.99$ per mod thats not going to happen for very long since that won't pay the bills unless your a really good modder.
    then it's a good thing that not all mods till cost money

and again this system is not supposed to be for paying for the bills or being a job of any kind
    it's supposed to be a hobby just like it is now but you can get a couple of bucks from doing it

then it's a good thing that not all mods till cost money

and again this system is not supposed to be for paying for the bills or being a job of any kind
    it's supposed to be a hobby just like it is now but you can get a couple of bucks from doing it
    You need to make $400 before you cash out $100...
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Let me remind you that once you put your paid mod up on the workshop, it no longer belongs to you. Yup, Valve's lawyers simply refuse to take it down (Not to mention the numbers sway heavily towards Bethesda and Valve, the modders themselves are getting barely anything).

- - - Updated - - -

I belive Valve started taking down donation links
    and valve already said that it's not intended and they will make it stop
    i'm also pretty sure all the links that was removed were shortened urls, which gets removed cus it could be a link for anything

a direct link to a paypay donation site won't get removed