Thread: dx 12 and WoW

Deleted

dx 12 and WoW

Hello everyone!

I've got a question about the new API from microsoft - dx12. Dont u know if Blizzard is going to use DX12 for WoW or not? I read a lot of articles about dx12 and everything sounds so awesome that I dont believe it actualy, I am a little bit sceptical, that is going to be just a marketing bullsh*t and in reality the real gain will be very small or not even noticable, like Mantle... I hope I am wrong, and this will be an awesome revolutionary API that will use our CPU's to the max in games - multicore cpu's, hyperthreading etc, but I want to know a opinion from you, what do u think guys about dx12, and dx12 in WoW? Do u think there will be some huge performance boost in WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Eventually there's no reason to make an instant swap to it, if they where planning to change it up it would already be in the works right now.

Mantle is also not to be seen as competition to dx12 but more a way of giving a gaming platform for Linux, since it's open source.

WoW is already fairly optimized so i don't expect a major performance boost even if converted to.

Deleted
    Hah, you can bet your sorry ass that DX12 could help WOW. If you knew something about draw calls you'd know that it would help WoW like nothing before if they provide DX12 engine for WoW>

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    WoW is already fairly optimized so i don't expect a major performance boost even if converted to.
    I wouldn't say that. Switching to DX10 and 11 stuff improved frames by 20 or so to me when they came and they were far less signifigant changes.

Assuming all the flare about DX12 and CPU communication streamlining is true, it'd be another tremendous upgrade as WoW is mostly CPU bound.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Everyone getting a free upgrade to Windows 10, and DX12 by default, will hopefully mean a boost to WoW performance. The "massively" in MMOs is still a dream for now with the amount of lag and low framerates. This could help at least half of the problem. Someone that uses Twitter should ask a dev if there are any plans on optimizing for DX12 in the works.

Any plans to use DX12 would logically follow a widespread release and adoption of it. So 7.0 at the earliest, but I really would not expect them to follow through with it until 8.0