Thread: Gas stoves

Gas stoves

So all my years in my parents house we had an electric stove/oven. Now I've been on my own for a while and I have a gas stove/oven now. I've gotta say it cooks so food so much better for some reason. Is this normal or am I just getting better at cooking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, gas is better for stoves. But some areas don't have the option unless you get a tank system using propane.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Heat is heat Though in some ways a gas stove is more "stable" since it doesn't need to reheat an element to maintain temperatures.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It just always seemed like no matter what I did with the electric stove I couldn't make chicken come out as moist and delicious as I do now with my gas stove.

induction stove tops, pricey but good lord so even

Growing up my parents have and still use gas stoves, I am used to them and find that you can regulate the temperature a lot better.

When I bought my house the main downside was the house not having a gas line attached to the house and had to use the 1950's electric stove that came with the house. Its been two years now and I still cannot find an upside of using electric over gas.

On top of that my fiancée is paranoid about using gas because she is convinced she is going to blowup the house one day because she forgot to turn the gas nob all the way off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    On top of that my fiancée is paranoid about using gas because she is convinced she is going to blowup the house one day because she forgot to turn the gas nob all the way off.
    That's crazy.... odds are you would suffocate first.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Gas stoves are way better for cooking but I still don't want one in my house

When I lived in florida I had a gas stove. I loved it! Plus, if the electricity went out, I could still cook food.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Gas stoves are better. You have much finer control of the temperature, and it responds to temperature change much more quickly.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So all my years in my parents house we had an electric stove/oven. Now I've been on my own for a while and I have a gas stove/oven now. I've gotta say it cooks so food so much better for some reason. Is this normal or am I just getting better at cooking?
    Gas is the best. Simple as that. Gas stove with cast iron and you are cooking like a pro.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's at least partially your skill. That said, I happen to prefer gas stoves myself, and would use one if they laid gas lines down my street.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Gas is the best. Simple as that. Gas stove with cast iron and you are cooking like a pro.
    that reminds me I need to re-season my cast iron skillet...

and yes, gas is much more awesome for cooking.
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2015-04-23 at 07:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Electric stoves suck.
    You are not wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Heat is heat Though in some ways a gas stove is more "stable" since it doesn't need to reheat an element to maintain temperatures.
    From a cooking perspective only....
    You'd want a mix of both... Stove = Gas, Oven = Electric.
    While the gas stove is a lot more efficient with immediate heat on/off vs electrical.
    For an oven to bake, electrical heat is better due to various types of heating upper / lower / air circulation heating.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    From a cooking perspective only....
    You'd want a mix of both... Stove = Gas, Oven = Electric.
    While the gas stove is a lot more efficient with immediate heat on/off vs electrical.
    For an oven to bake, electrical heat is better due to various types of heating upper / lower / air circulation heating.
    For baking, I use my little convection toaster oven. I never use the 'big oven'. Convection rocks for baking.

Quote Originally Posted by chaotus View Post
    induction stove tops, pricey but good lord so even

We got this one about 6 months ago. I love it best stove ever. I'll never use anything but induction. It cooks fast even and saves energy. I had previously cooked with gas. Induction is so much easier to keep clean as well as the other advantages.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-6...&mktRedirect=y

10+ Year Old Account
    Gas is better than your standard electric, because it's instant on heat that you can adjust in intensity quickly.

What I really want to try, though, is an induction stove.

They have the instantaneous on/off/intensity adjustmetn benefit of gas, they don't heat the surface of the stove, just the pan itself (you can have ice sitting unmelted on the burner next to a boiling pot of water). It's far more efficient, at 84% of energy going to the pan as opposed to 40% in a gas stove. That means it doesn't heat up your kitchen as much as a gas or coil electric stove. It looks like coil electric ranges, but because the surface of the range doesn't heat, you don't get stuff burning onto the glass.

The only real disadvantage I've heard about is that you have to have ferrous cooking vessels. Most pans/pots are, but not all, so you just have to be aware when you buy.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    What I really want to try, though, is an induction stove.
    The only real disadvantage I've heard about is that you have to have ferrous cooking vessels. Most pans/pots are, but not all, so you just have to be aware when you buy.
    Heh, my kitchen has two vitroceramic and two induction. My pots are... diverse to put it lightly: just an assortment of inherited, stolen, borrowed, etc. utensils.
    While I prefer the induction ones, I always end up using the vitroceramic ones since I fail to figure which pot are the right ones.