just another thread about a pug group failure...

Heres my experience doing a pug group on my alt, i'm not trying to pretend like i'm a elitist but this raid leader is pretty bad.

i joined this fresh normal brf pug run as a 668 paladin tank, i know this instance inside out for every position. i said hi and hopped on vent just listening. the raid leader was a warrior tank, not gonna call out his name.

i noticed some of the players are in the same guild as the RL, so i checked their gear, some people still have blues, no enchant no gem no achievement. clearly new players but i didn't really mind, i was just casually doing some content on my alt, honestly i don't care about loot or boss kills, i just wanted to have a good time.

if you dont know how oregorer works u can skip to TLDR...

we were doing oregorer as the first boss so i whispered the RL warrior tank to make sure he knows to switch taunt after every acid torrent, he replied ok and said he wants to tank the boss first. then we started pulling,

in the first pull he went in first and i taunted right after the first acid torrent as i should, but then i took 3 acid torrent in a row and we wiped, the warrior tank/RL was there just hitting the boss doing nothing, not really saying anything on vent either

then he typed in raid chat" u have to taunt", i was shocked and said i did and i tanked the boss since then until we wiped. then he said" oh i didnt see the boss turning", i was completely mind fucked, not knowing someone can have a reason as dumb as this. he assumed i didnt taunt because the boss didnt move. how does that makes sense?

im trying to be nice and just didnt say anything so we pulled again, and this guy went in, this time he tanked the boss at exact opposite dirrection of the ranged group and the first acid torrent hit the shaman healer and one shot him. the shaman didnt even know what hit him and appologized for no reason. then some ranged died as well, wiped soon after.

as a nice person i didnt want to blame the RL in raid chat so i whispered the tank/RL asking again if he knows fight and told him u have to tank the boss make it facing the ranged group. also i had to completely stop dps when im not tanking because he cant hold aggro whatsoever.

Then he just denied it saying he did tank it the right way and he knows fight, i was like are you serious u totally just killed the healer! but i didnt say it, i just whispered check shaman's death log.

then this RL guy didnt reply and just speaks in vent said "we wiped because of the other tank so i'm gonna replace him". and kicked me a second after. made it seem like hes all cool and i was fucking up the whole time. i was shocked for a moment and whispered to him "serious?", then he replies"get off your cross" i dont even know what that means, he thought i was being aggresive for pointing out his mistakes in whisper? and he just ignores me after.

he kicked me to cover his own mistakes and there is nothing i can do about it. the people in the raid are all new players and cant see him failing so hard. i pretty much didnt say anything in raid chat the whole time. i didnt make a single mistake and also helped interrupting the boss many times.

im not really mad about it, im sure alot of people gets kicked from a pug for the stupidiest reasons. just wanted to share a short story.

if you have different opinions share it or have your own story you can share it too.

i think its ok to be a noob and im fine with teaching/carrying you, but being a noob and also doing such thing in a pug is just really toxic.

TL:DR, a premade raid leader kicked me off the group to cover his own mistake

PS : just for background my main is already 10/10m i know exactly what im doing.but the RL doesnt know that. i actually have screen shot of whispers and log of the wipes if needed
    if you want to see my main or w/e just pm me, i dont want to share the info here.

Eventually his pug will realise it was his fault when they continue to wipe. I think you did the right thing by not creating drama at the time, life is to short, but can understand why you are pissed off. I find that quite often pugs can be quite good but just as I think that I don't understand what the fuss about pugging is along comes a shocker which makes me hate them.
    It's a numbers game and the more good ones I have means the shocker is getting closer!

Deleted
    It doesn't sound like a nice experience. Using the Blizzard pug tool usually feels like playing roulette anyway. Sometimes you'll find decent players and do a smooth farm run but many times you'll get disappointed as well.
    Last edited by mmocd71f216230; 2015-04-24 at 09:08 AM.

Deleted
    he assumed i didnt taunt because the boss didnt move. how does that makes sense?
    It makes perfect sense and i just realized why are most PUGs and players so godawful at this game. It's because they use the default UI that does terrible job at showing what is happening in the fight. Especially the unitframes and buff/debuff tracking which are the most important thing that raid gameplay is built around are really useless in it's default form compared to modern day remakes like you can see in ElvUI for example.

I believe if Blizzard wants more people to get into raiding they need to make drastic changes to the UI or maybe just make a ElvUI-like switcharoo option for people who can't be bothered/don't know how to install addons.

When a tank can't see target's target or doesn't even know such feature exists then that's definitely a UI issue.

Deleted
    In stead of getting all worked up about it OP. You should be happy he kicked you, because he saved you time and agony. You could have stayed and try to be helpfull and whipe all evening on 1 or 2 bosses, but now you were free to find another beter group and really kill something.

Life is too short to deal with these kinds of people. Just move on to the next one and hope its better

I'm pretty certain it doesn't matter which way Oregorger is facing, as he will always turn and do the Acid Torrent to the ranged and you need to have the off-tank in between. Just saying.

PS: Not that it's a valid tactic to have the tank on the melee group and him having to avoid explosive shards, but just saying since you claimed to know the instance inside-out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    I'm pretty certain it doesn't matter which way Oregorger is facing, as he will always turn and do the Acid Torrent to the ranged and you need to have the off-tank in between. Just saying.

PS: Not that it's a valid tactic to have the tank on the melee group and him having to avoid explosive shards, but just saying since you claimed to know the instance inside-out.
    Soaking with the active tank is actually rather common, especially in PUGs. Some classes (Monks mostly) benefit from the higher resolve, and it can be easier to coordinate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahei View Post
    Soaking with the active tank is actually rather common, especially in PUGs. Some classes (Monks mostly) benefit from the higher resolve, and it can be easier to coordinate.
    Beyond my point really. My point was that he complained that the useless RL tank turned the boss to face away from the ranged and that's why the shaman died. Well no, the boss will always turned to the ranged for acid torrent so if (only) the shaman died, I can only see three alternatives based on the same premise that the off-tank wasn't between the boss and the ranged to soak the initial damage:

1) The shaman was apart from the other ranged and he just got the unmitigated hit.
    2) All the ranged got the unmitigated hit, but since it's not a one-shot mechanic in either NM or HC, just the shaman died due to being low.
    3) Shaman actually stood behind the boss and got the initial damage.

I mean surely this would have been avoided (probably) if the RL tank tanked with Oregorger facing the raid, but the OP chucks it down as "u have to tank the boss make it facing the ranged group" which is not true, even though it's the recommended tactic. You don't have to, I've yolotanked him the other way many times and we've even done it on Mythic this way once. But OP apparently knows the instance inside-out.

Edit: All that said, it's obvious the RL was a jerk.

Deleted
    1) The shaman was apart from the other ranged and he just got the unmitigated hit.
    2) All the ranged got the unmitigated hit, but since it's not a one-shot mechanic in either NM or HC, just the shaman died due to being low.
    You don't have to be in melee range to soak the initial hit, if the shaman was the closest to the boss in the ranged group, then he got the initial physical damage. That will kill a healer.

Technically, the OP could have reacted faster, and soaked the AT herself, but most people don't react at such situations fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahei View Post
    You don't have to be in melee range to soak the initial hit, if the shaman was the closest to the boss in the ranged group, then he got the initial physical damage. That will kill a healer.

Technically, the OP could have reacted faster, and soaked the AT herself, but most people don't react at such situations fast enough.
    Yeah my "behind boss" expression wasn't quite clear but we mean the same thing pretty much.

I'd say the dude did you a huge favor and you owe him one. Lol.

Beyond my point really. My point was that he complained that the useless RL tank turned the boss to face away from the ranged and that's why the shaman died. Well no, the boss will always turned to the ranged for acid torrent so if (only) the shaman died, I can only see three alternatives based on the same premise that the off-tank wasn't between the boss and the ranged to soak the initial damage:

I mean surely this would have been avoided (probably) if the RL tank tanked with Oregorger facing the raid, but the OP chucks it down as "u have to tank the boss make it facing the ranged group" which is not true, even though it's the recommended tactic. You don't have to, I've yolotanked him the other way many times and we've even done it on Mythic this way once. But OP apparently knows the instance inside-out.

Edit: All that said, it's obvious the RL was a jerk.
    Not quite sure how you "yolotank" the boss facing the other direction if you're supposed to soak the acid torrent after tanking the boss (which is clearly what they were doing). While technically possible to run through the boss at the last second....lol. You knew his point. Quit trying to act like you're some badass who's better than him. You aren't, and I'd rather have him in my raid than a know-it-all like you.

If you make a thread everytime you get in a pug with a bunch of shitters you are going to do a lot of typing.

Pro tip, acid torrent hits the closest person. If you took 3 in a row you could have moved behind the other tank so it hits him first regardless of who is tanking.

You should be happy he kicked you, because he saved you time and agony.
    Last edited by ninizhebeg; 2015-04-25 at 06:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    If you make a thread everytime you get in a pug with a bunch of shitters you are going to do a lot of typing.

Pro tip, acid torrent hits the closest person. If you took 3 in a row you could have moved behind the other tank so it hits him first regardless of who is tanking.
    It hits the closest ranged, so as long as there's a tank between the boss and the nearest ranged, the tank can mitigate it. Oregorger's direction has absolutely no bearing on this whatsoever. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    It hits the closest ranged, so as long as there's a tank between the boss and the nearest ranged, the tank can mitigate it. Oregorger's direction has absolutely no bearing on this whatsoever. I promise.
    You completely missed the point of what I was saying in that the person mitigating the acid torrent doesn't have to be tanking him (or even a tank)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Well, if the other tank is standing in front or beside it with the other melee's moving behind him will do you no good then it will just target a ranged and oneshot him

Quote Originally Posted by Ebayed View Post
    Well, if the other tank is standing in front or beside it with the other melee's moving behind him will do you no good then it will just target a ranged and oneshot him
    If the other tank is constantly standing with the melee group, it would be obvious who was screwing up the mechanics. If the other tank is standing where they should be (i.e. not with the melee), then you only need one tank to know what they're doing, because you can shift your own position, so the other guy is closer and further away on alternating torrents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erasus1117 View Post
    Heres my experience doing a pug group on my alt, i'm not trying to pretend like i'm a elitist but this raid leader is pretty bad.

i joined this fresh normal brf pug run as a 668 paladin tank, i know this instance inside out for every position. i said hi and hopped on vent just listening. the raid leader was a warrior tank, not gonna call out his name.

i noticed some of the players are in the same guild as the RL, so i checked their gear, some people still have blues, no enchant no gem no achievement. clearly new players but i didn't really mind, i was just casually doing some content on my alt, honestly i don't care about loot or boss kills, i just wanted to have a good time.

if you dont know how oregorer works u can skip to TLDR...

we were doing oregorer as the first boss so i whispered the RL warrior tank to make sure he knows to switch taunt after every acid torrent, he replied ok and said he wants to tank the boss first. then we started pulling,

in the first pull he went in first and i taunted right after the first acid torrent as i should, but then i took 3 acid torrent in a row and we wiped, the warrior tank/RL was there just hitting the boss doing nothing, not really saying anything on vent either

then he typed in raid chat" u have to taunt", i was shocked and said i did and i tanked the boss since then until we wiped. then he said" oh i didnt see the boss turning", i was completely mind fucked, not knowing someone can have a reason as dumb as this. he assumed i didnt taunt because the boss didnt move. how does that makes sense?

im trying to be nice and just didnt say anything so we pulled again, and this guy went in, this time he tanked the boss at exact opposite dirrection of the ranged group and the first acid torrent hit the shaman healer and one shot him. the shaman didnt even know what hit him and appologized for no reason. then some ranged died as well, wiped soon after.

as a nice person i didnt want to blame the RL in raid chat so i whispered the tank/RL asking again if he knows fight and told him u have to tank the boss make it facing the ranged group. also i had to completely stop dps when im not tanking because he cant hold aggro whatsoever.

Then he just denied it saying he did tank it the right way and he knows fight, i was like are you serious u totally just killed the healer! but i didnt say it, i just whispered check shaman's death log.

then this RL guy didnt reply and just speaks in vent said "we wiped because of the other tank so i'm gonna replace him". and kicked me a second after. made it seem like hes all cool and i was fucking up the whole time. i was shocked for a moment and whispered to him "serious?", then he replies"get off your cross" i dont even know what that means, he thought i was being aggresive for pointing out his mistakes in whisper? and he just ignores me after.

he kicked me to cover his own mistakes and there is nothing i can do about it. the people in the raid are all new players and cant see him failing so hard. i pretty much didnt say anything in raid chat the whole time. i didnt make a single mistake and also helped interrupting the boss many times.

im not really mad about it, im sure alot of people gets kicked from a pug for the stupidiest reasons. just wanted to share a short story.

if you have different opinions share it or have your own story you can share it too.

i think its ok to be a noob and im fine with teaching/carrying you, but being a noob and also doing such thing in a pug is just really toxic.

TLR, a premade raid leader kicked me off the group to cover his own mistake

PS : just for background my main is already 10/10m i know exactly what im doing.but the RL doesnt know that. i actually have screen shot of whispers and log of the wipes if needed
    if you want to see my main or w/e just pm me, i dont want to share the info here.
    Remember how intelligence is distributed in the population - over a half of population is uselessly stupid. WoW player base is pretty representative in this matter.