Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BRM, fourth wing complete!

Alrighty folks, just got done with the fourth wing of Blackrock Mountain...it took longer then the first 3 and boy was it frustrating

Much like Naxxramas (for those who completed it) the bosses in this wing were a lot more RNG dependant, especially Chromaggus and Nefarian.

So let's get on with it:

SPOILERS:

Razorgore (Heroic): The main issue with this boss is keeping his eggs (0/3) under control, specifically not letting them reach 5 health and hatching into a 7/7 Chromatic dragon. If you can manage the eggs, this fight isn't very difficult.

I used a Priest deck. Silences and Mass Dispel are great to stop his eggs. Mind-control tech and Cabal shadow priests are great to steal his eggs. Don't forget SW:P and SW just in case. I found Light of the Naruu helpful as well.

Try and get some 3-attack minions on the board to instantly get rid of new eggs and dmg any eggs that you can't kill to stall them from hatching.

*BEWARE* - make sure and keep decent board control because he does cast bloodlust and can ruin your day!

Vaelastrasz (Heroic): His hero power makes you both draw 3 cards every turn and he uses Naturalize so he can easily start milling you. I was able to defeat him using a Druid Murloc deck. Low cost minions are essential, you can flood the board and prevent yourself from getting milled.

I also used Naturalize to Mill the boss and kill any big minions he plays. Poison seeds/Starfall combo is great here as well. Since I was running poison seeds, any deathrattle minions that summon another minion was great to maintain board control.

He uses Gang-up, I found you just need some luck so he doesn't use it on anything too annoying.

This fight will take several tries due to RNG, but he's not too bad!!

Chromaggus: Okay...here is where you need your lucky rabbit's foot and make sure you ate your lucky charms, RNG is king here. The most important thing for this fight is to make sure to get rid of the spells he gives you with his hero power every turn: specifically the one that deals 3-dmg to you every turn, and the two that reduce the cost of his minions and spells...the ones that heal him and duplicate his cards are of less importance at the start.

I used a Priest deck. Important cards to have in your deck are, Lightwell for heals, Mogu'shen Warden and Deathlord. The whole strategy here is to maintain as much board control as possible until you can drop one of the taunt minions and do a Divine spirit/Inner fire combo. If you can manage to get a lightwell on turn 2, all the better.

Once you can pull off that combo, do everything you can to keep that minion alive: heals, light of the naruu and circle of healing are great. Once you gain board control and have your buffed taunt minion, start discarding the spell that heals him and go for face.

*BEWARE* - save silences and SW:P for his Chromatic mutations, or if you can prioritize killing them outright.

This strategy took me over a dozen attempts and a lot of luck. So good luck to you!!

Nefarian: Another boss that needs a lot of RNG and numerous attempts. Since he gets 10-mana by turn 2, he can easily overwhelm you with his dragon minions.

The key here is Paladin. Humility and Aldor Peacekeeper will keep some of his high attack minions in check. Try and save your Equality/Consecration combos for when he's got a full board. Zombie Chow and abusive sergeant will help keep board control, as will Mind-control tech and Sylvanas. Since he does pretty much start with full mana, he will burn through a lot of cards. The key is to get a board clear when he's got only a few cards left, this is when you can deal with whatever he plays while building a board.

I also ran with 2x holy lights and 2x guardian of kings to keep my hp up, I found them necessary because you will take dmg prior to getting board control.

Again, this will take a lot of tries and some luck...don't get discouraged!!

Besides the heroic bosses, the class challenges were decently fun. It was sort of designed as a way to let you try Demon Warlock which is something Blizzard seems to be aiming for the lock. The Rogue challenge was cool also, lots of gang-ups and no minions in your deck (I didn't get any anyways).

I hope my strategies helped you win in this wing. I'd love to hear if you came up with some other decks to beat these bosses!!!

Have fun and good luck.

Probably the worst wing in terms of enjoyment for me. The RNG is just out of control at this point, every boss past the first one is literally just a game of play and hope.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I feel the exact same way. It seems Blizzard can't find the sweet spot on many of these heroic bosses. In my experience they are either a faceroll or RNG, with a few exceptions of course.

If only they could improve the AI somewhat, maybe it wouldn't be necessary to create these bosses where you need the stars to align to get a win. I'm all for a good challenge; coming up with a strategy and then tweaking my deck to finally get the win. It's hard to enjoy a match when you have to concede a bunch of times because you didn't get "x" card in your opening hand or the boss got "y" card in his.

I think with some minor changes, this could be avoided in the future.

Good thing the card back looks like crap, since I don't feel like doing these on Heroic.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

It was funny to watch my friend curse the game out because he was about to win against Nef and then he played "Twisting Nether".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It was funny to watch my friend curse the game out because he was about to win against Nef and then he played "Twisting Nether".
    I remember facing the brawler guy and I was about to win then the guy threw out a Brawl. And of course all of my minions die and the guy's one minion survived.

I actually beat Nefarion in the funnest way possible. I ended up summoning a Ragnaros, then I then turned into a Ragnaros while another Ragnaros was helping me on the side. I was then able to do 3 8 random damage to a random target and easily won the game. I call it a Tragnaros.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Razorgore was meh. Priests had a myriad number of ways to steal the eggs to turn into drakes (shadow madness + pws should work, alchemist does work, cabal, etc.) or just neutralize them with plenty of silences.

Vael was the easiest boss so far in this entire adventure when you play with a savage roar/0-1 mana minion swarm druid deck.

Chromaggus was slightly tricky - the easiest way I found was to mulligan into a wild growth and play tempo/ramp druid against him. Keep the first two brood afflictions you get as long as you can - activate molten giants with the self damage one, as far as I can tell, Chrom doesn't directly damage your face much.

Nef was making sure you had equality or mind control tech in your starting draws.

For everyone bitching about the "difficulty" - streamers regularly defeat the entire wing (normal + heroic) in around an hour after the win is open. Given 15 min to steamroll normal, you're still left with like 12 min per heroic boss on average, which is at best 2-3 forfeits + the actual kill. And they do this with subpar and inferior decks. If you don't want to bash your head against the wall, just net deck the best solutions a day or two after the wing opens and you can 1-2 shot them all. If you want to "prove" your deck building prowess, don't complain when you realize you're not as good as the pros.

Razorgore-Priest makes it a joke. One shot it. Just use Shadow Madness/Cabal on the eggs with Divine Spirit/Power World Shield.

Vael-Used a Mill-ish Rogue deck. Took two tries. Molten and Clockwork Giants are awesome. You'll end up discarding cards so just hope you don't discard anything too important. Prep is huge to burn through cards faster, as are Saps and Vanishes as a sort of removals.

Chromaggus-This one was the toughest by far and probably the hardest of any of the Heroic BRM bosses. I tried a bunch of different decks but eventually used a hybrid Demons/Handlock. I had a powerful set of turns where I went Thaurissan into Malganis + Double Molten Giant into Jaraxxus. From that point on I managed to take total control of the board, and I just spent every turn making a 6/6 and then burning off his Affliction cards. The key is to make sure to get rid of the Aff card that gives him copies of cards he draws pronto. It allows him to replenish too fast. The other cards aren't too bad since he'll just burn out his hand playing all his cheap stuff.

Nef-Took a few tries. Used a very similar deck to Vael, a Mill ish Rogue, with Gang Up as well. I eventually managed to Vanish and then play four Molten Giants to finish him off. Bit of RNG though since certain Rag cards are stronger then others(and of course the Rag card that deals 8 damage to a random enemy can really help or hurt, mine always went face ).

Quote Originally Posted by kaiadam View Post
    just net deck the best solutions a day or two after the wing opens and you can 1-2 shot them all. If you want to "prove" your deck building prowess, don't complain when you realize you're not as good as the pros.
    Against nef? Not really

Nefarian is RNG central. There is no guaranteed win against him and he's the worst boss we've seen across naxx and brm.

Chromaggus was fine really - either ramp druid or a stall priest could roll over him. Nef was worse than razuvious - in htat you had to wait till turn 4-5 to see if you stood a chance.

Also hearing you 1-3 shotting means nothing - I 1 shot drakkisath but does that mean I would every time? Lolno - I'm not stupid enough to believe that like some. Some bosses are just awfully designed, a lot of players dont have access to as many cards as you or even myself.
    Last edited by Raiju; 2015-04-25 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    I did Razorgore with a pretty standart priest deck with some mass silences and Cabals to steal eggs and got him on the 1st try. For Vael I used a Druid deck with Savage Roar and tons of small minions alongside Naturalize, also got him on 1st try. Now the hard ones were Chromaggus and Nefarian.

For Chromaggus I sticked with Handlock and if I remember correctly it took me 6 or 7 tries to finally beat him. Nefarian was insane! I tried tons of different decks but nothing was working! I was pretty frustrated until I thought that maybe a standart Control Warrior deck might just do the deal and to my surprise it worked after 3 tries! It was a pretty crazy match where both me and Nefarian went to fatigue and he was out of minions to play and I only had a Shieldmaiden left alongside an Acolyte of pain in my hand. The Shieldmaiden ended up surviving all the cards he was stealing from me and finished him off. It was an intense match against the boss that took me the longest to beat amongst all bosses in adventure mode.

I proceeded to watch Trump and he got lucky again! I remember he beat Heroic Ragnaros because Bane of Doom wouldn't let Ragnaros spawn and this week he beat Nefarian on 1st try in a match where Nefarian had lethal for like 10 turns in a row and ended up doing other things instead of killing Trump.
    Last edited by mmoc9f0bced709; 2015-04-25 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Against nef? Not really

Nefarian is RNG central. There is no guaranteed win against him and he's the worst boss we've seen across naxx and brm.

Chromaggus was fine really - either ramp druid or a stall priest could roll over him. Nef was worse than razuvious - in htat you had to wait till turn 4-5 to see if you stood a chance.

Also hearing you 1-3 shotting means nothing - I 1 shot drakkisath but does that mean I would every time? Lolno - I'm not stupid enough to believe that like some. Some bosses are just awfully designed, a lot of players dont have access to as many cards as you or even myself.
    I didn't have time to screw around this week, so I netdecked and beat all 4 heroics in 30 min total. Nef took two attempts.

Your argument would have more weight to it if there weren't streamers who consistently finish the new wings an hour after release every week. I guess they're just all super-duper lucky.

I didn't have time to screw around this week, so I netdecked and beat all 4 heroics in 30 min total. Nef took two attempts.

Your argument would have more weight to it if there weren't streamers who consistently finish the new wings an hour after release every week. I guess they're just all super-duper lucky.
    Given you can physically watch nef miss lethal because the AI is poorly programmed as shit (and yet personally having npc's cast 6 spells for direct damage) yeah I'd call it luck unless they already know precisely how the AI ticks - which I wouldn't actually be surprised at either given how much some of them play.

Either way, defending the design is laughable.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

never really cared for card back do haven't really bothered with heroic but i'm stuck with raggnaros normal and i stopped mad naxx so i've still got k.t and the naxx class chalanges, guess i just need to slow down on rag and need to try a deck other than hunter for k.t

would love to see wing 5

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 13/13 in BRM Heroic, and this wing was the first wing to give me real trouble (though Rend was harder than it should have been for me). Priest for Razorgore, Druid for Vael, Druid for Chrommagus is basically the tried and true starts for the first 3 in the wing, but I picked Rogue against Nefarian and used Gang Up on my Nefarian minion. RNG admittedly as one of the Ragnaros cards is a spell, but it did end up working the very first time I had Gang Up and a Ragnaros minion in my starting hand. Healbot and Far Seer were definitely in my deck though, healbot was my 2nd gang up too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Razorgore I got first try I think, already had a good deck against him.

Vael took some work.

Chromaggus, needless to say, was a HUGE bitch. Don't have Lorewalker Cho to trivialise it. Wound up using a priest deck with lightwells, Velen and shitloads of buffs and ran him 10 times until I got lucky draws and flooded the board with massive buffed minions.

Working on Nef at the moment, shouldn't be as hard as Chromaggus by the looks of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the streamers who are often racing for the twitch sponsered first clear, who plan their heroic decks out ahead of time, who play this game often as their sole means of income are going to find things a touch easier than the rest, particularly in dealing with RNG.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the streamers who are often racing for the twitch sponsered first clear, who plan their heroic decks out ahead of time, who play this game often as their sole means of income are going to find things a touch easier than the rest, particularly in dealing with RNG.
    So basically, preparation, experience, and skill will take you further than whining about RNG? What a novel concept.

So basically, preparation, experience, and skill will take you further than whining about RNG? What a novel concept.
    As does $$$$ (his point), you'd think someone from midwinter would be acquainted with the idea

Huh? He's saying that people who are incentivized to play well, due to streaming as a major source of their income, clear through the zones fast (or else their viewers will go to someone else who does ... or at least is more entertaining.)

Dunno about the Midwinter part, we never got any sponsors :s

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    As does $$$$ (his point), you'd think someone from midwinter would be acquainted with the idea
    I've never bought a single pack and can make almost all of the counter decks suggested by these streamers for each boss.

Only one that I couldn't that mattered was not having Cho to exploit Chromaggus. Just because the last 4 times I've crafted a legendary I've chosen something else because I didn't think I really needed Cho.

You don't have to pay to get the best decks, you just have to do your dailies and be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.