Help with Frost Rotation

Hello. I'm looking for some help with my rotation, especially at the beginning of a fight. Unless I'm mistaken, after the initial burst phase, spells are cast on a priority basis?? I'm already thinking of changing out from comet storm to prismatic crystal.

Here are my logs from last night.

warcraftlogs.com/reports/raTmxfCtw9nQ2H14#fight=27&type=damage-done&source=60

Profile - us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aggramar/Fimbik/simple

I'm not at all happy with my DPS, so please, I will be grateful with any help.

Any suggestions on websites and/or videos to go to, would be welcome as well.

Thanks!!

10+ Year Old Account
    In the middle of the ocean for 7 months out of the year
    First thing I see is Comet Storm. Its such a horrible talent, especially for Gruul. Choose Prismatic Crystal. Line your Frozen Orb CD with Prismatic Crystal so they are always up to use in combo. Also, take mirror images instead of RoP / Incanters Ward for Gruul. Mirror Images is really strong for Frost.

You also seemed to have missed 2 Brain Freeze procs. You had 25 procs, but only used 23 FFB.

You also only used Icy Veins once. With your kill time of 4:36 you should be able to use it twice. Use it at the start, then again when its up. If possible, delay it a few seconds so you can use it with Frozen Orb + Prismatic Crystal combo.

Those are just a few quick things I noticed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post
    First thing I see is Comet Storm. Its such a horrible talent, especially for Gruul. Choose Prismatic Crystal. Line your Frozen Orb CD with Prismatic Crystal so they are always up to use in combo. Also, take mirror images instead of RoP / Incanters Ward for Gruul. Mirror Images is really strong for Frost.

You also seemed to have missed 2 Brain Freeze procs. You had 25 procs, but only used 23 FFB.

You also only used Icy Veins once. With your kill time of 4:36 you should be able to use it twice. Use it at the start, then again when its up. If possible, delay it a few seconds so you can use it with Frozen Orb + Prismatic Crystal combo.

Those are just a few quick things I noticed.
    MI isn't strong anymore. RoP and IF are better.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post
    You appear to be quite outdated here. Comet Storm isn't a dead talent like it used to be, not the best, but better than TV for single target. MI got nerfed that same patch, and isn't optimal for single target either. OP running Comet Storm is not the loss of ~10k DPS, more like 1k tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    MI isn't strong anymore. RoP and IF are better.
    And you're doing the standard mage thing of talent isn't best in BiS, clearly it's bad. MI is stronger than IF for this guy's gear, and is usually on par with IF in a single target situation assuming fight length favours it.

That said, yeah, his talent aren't optimal. Frost Bomb/Rune of Power/Prismatic Crystal would be the standard Gruul set. It doesn't explain a ~10k loss from sim, but this does:
    00:00:07.294 Fimbik Ice Nova Gruul 46910
    00:00:07.618 Fimbik Icicle Gruul 5190
    00:00:07.748 Fimbik Melee Gruul 607
    00:00:07.871 Water Elemental (Fimbik) Waterbolt Gruul 6032
    00:00:08.060 Fimbik Icicle Gruul 2711
    00:00:09.563 Water Elemental (Fimbik) Waterbolt Gruul 5470
    00:00:09.996 Fimbik Melee Gruul 529
    00:00:10.753 Fimbik Comet Storm Gruul 8412

You had enough downtime here to swing your staff twice.

00:00:21.831 Fimbik begins casting Frostbolt
    00:00:24.542 Fimbik casts Blink
    00:00:28.241 Fimbik begins casting Frostbolt
    00:00:32.952 Fimbik casts Ice Floes
    00:00:33.229 Fimbik begins casting Frostbolt
    00:00:34.386 Fimbik casts Frostbolt on Gruul

You did literally nothing for over 10 seconds.

00:01:30.671 Fimbik begins casting Frostbolt
    00:01:32.298 Fimbik casts Blink
    00:01:34.930 Fimbik begins casting Frostbolt
    00:01:36.236 Fimbik casts Frostbolt on Gruul
    00:01:36.236 Fimbik begins casting Frostbolt
    00:01:40.546 Fimbik begins casting Frostfire Bolt
    00:01:40.546 Fimbik casts Frostfire Bolt on Gruul

Again. Cancelled cast almost at the end to Blink, got a Frostbolt off 2 seconds after that Blink, which presumably procced that Brain Freeze there, but you didn't use it. You cancelled the next Frostbolt and then did nothing for ages until you hit FFB.

Clean up your play, the DPS will follow.

Thanks Kuni for responding, was hoping you would. Yea, I know I've got some cleaning up to do and alot of practice as well. Guess I was looking to see if there was anything glaring in my rotation. I'll make the switch to MI.

At what point does IF overtake MI? Or is it a preference thing?

Don't swap to MI. Use IF or RoP depending on the fight.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    http://i.imgur.com/Qz0gxvQ.png

Here. 670/685/700 talent sets using BiS. Check out the top 3 on 700. IF and MI are 1% difference, in a situation where the fight lengths vary a fair bit. Your Gruul was 4:36, which is basically best use case.

For you specifically, it's probably fairly soon. I haven't bothered to look into the specifics of why you sim higher with MI over IF other than your fight length lined up really well with MI and you're not all that geared. I'd try and use RoP if you can. Gruul's movement requirements aren't all that large, most are 8 yard sidesteps at worst. And remember, that it'll only be the case if there's not a second target to hit. Soon as you start adding a second target, IF is better.
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2015-04-30 at 02:55 AM.

From the jist of the thread so far, I'd say you are still trying to master Frost. Going on that assumption, let the passives help you for the time being.

This will allow you to get the core rotation down pat, then move into using other talents.

Ditch MI and go IF, nothing for you to do then.

Continue with Ice Nova, much less complicated than Frost Bomb.

Stick with Comet Storm, again much less complicated than PC or TV.

Learn to ABC (Always Be Casting). Have to move, you have a ton of instants that can be cast while moving. Always keep CS on cool and never have more than one IN available once fight starts.

Run LFR, alot. You are not after gear, you are after learning to play Frost better.... faster

Once you have the core down, then you can move into Frost Bomb/PC if you desire.