10+ Year Old Account

Potential Skylake Details

There will be three types of Intel “Skylake-S” processors for desktops: with 95W, 65W and 35W thermal design power (TDP) aimed at different classes of PCs. The highest-performing tier of “Skylake-S” with 95W TDP will include only two models with unlocked multiplier: Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K. The mainstream “Skylake-S” range with 65W TDP will include four SKUs: Core i7-6700, Core i5-6600, Core i5-6500 and Core i5-6400. The low-power “Skylake-S” family for desktops with 35W TDP will also include four models: Core i7-6700T, Core i5-6600T, Core i5-6500T and Core i5-6400T. Eventually the line of “Skylake-S” products will add more processors, including more affordable Core i3, Pentium and Celeron offerings.
    Pic
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope it don't require DDR3-L over regular DDR3. That could potentially delay my upgrade by a month if I have to get new ram. (assuming they release in August)

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    I really hope it don't require DDR3-L over regular DDR3. That could potentially delay my upgrade by a month if I have to get new ram. (assuming they release in August)
    Im pretty sure you can run your RAM at 1.35v if you loose the timing /or downclock them by a good chunck (i.e 1600 Cas9 -> 1600 Cas11). But the real problem is that not all Skylake motherboard will have DDR3 slot. There can be only one type of Dimm slot on skylake motherboard, either DDR4 or DDR3. And I wouldnt be surprised if we only see DDR3 slot on lower end model!
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2015-04-25 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post
    There can be only one type of Dimm slot on skylake motherboard, either DDR4 or DDR3. And I wouldnt be surprised if we only see DDR3 slot on lower end model!
    Ive seen literally nothing to leave the impression that this is true. In fact, some motherboard manufacturers were talking about putting both DDR3 and DDR4 slots on their motherboards during the transition.

edit:

Or, they wont even have to...

http://www.techpowerup.com/205231/ho...ainstream.html

relevant part:

ntel's bright idea about transitioning between DDR3 and DDR4 for mainstream client platforms is not hugely different from how its P35 Express chipset dealt with the issue. It plans to come up with a new memory module form-factor, called UniDIMM. It's a DIMM that can hold both DDR3-class and DDR4-class DRAM chips, designed for Intel's upcoming Core "Skylake" processors. "Skylake" will feature an IMC that supports both DDR3 and DDR4. With UniDIMM at their disposal, system manufacturers can source UniDIMM modules with DDR3 DRAM chips (which will be cheap, until DDR3 inventories begin drying up), and offer upgrade potential to UniDIMMs with DDR4 chips (which will get progressively cheaper).
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2015-04-25 at 07:54 AM.

What a nice surprise that they will allow both DDR3 and DDR4 to be used in this generation. Maybe DDR4-only for the generation after Skylake.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You're confusing support on the memory controller (CPU) with support on the motherboard. DDR3 and DDR4 do not use the same slot form, so which one you use will remain determined by which type of memory socket your motherboard includes.

The point of supporting both on the CPU is that it allows motherboard manufacturers and OEMs to build their parts/machines based on what makes more sense for specific price/performance sectors. Its much more costly for Intel to build two separate CPUs that supports only one of them, than to build a single CPU that supports both.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2015-04-25 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    You're confusing support on the memory controller (CPU) with support on the motherboard. DDR3 and DDR4 do not use the same slot form, so which one you use will remain determined by which type of memory socket your motherboard includes.
    You're seeming confused about the part where they are changing to a different DIMM size and shape altogether (which was in the part i quoted out above) - UniDIMM. UniDIMM can be either DDR3-1866 or higher or DDR-4, in the same DIMM for factor.

Read the article - but ill reqoute and re-emphasize anyway, just for convenience:

ntel's bright idea about transitioning between DDR3 and DDR4 for mainstream client platforms is not hugely different from how its P35 Express chipset dealt with the issue. It plans to come up with a new memory module form-factor, called UniDIMM. It's a DIMM that can hold both DDR3-class and DDR4-class DRAM chips, designed for Intel's upcoming Core "Skylake" processors. "Skylake" will feature an IMC that supports both DDR3 and DDR4. With UniDIMM at their disposal, system manufacturers can source UniDIMM modules with DDR3 DRAM chips (which will be cheap, until DDR3 inventories begin drying up), and offer upgrade potential to UniDIMMs with DDR4 chips (which will get progressively cheaper).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You're seeming confused about the part where they are changing to a different DIMM size and shape altogether (which was in the part i quoted out above) - UniDIMM. UniDIMM can be either DDR3-1866 or higher or DDR-4, in the same DIMM for factor.
    Hmm, so it is. My bad.

Those UniDIMMs will have no use or interest for enthusiast users, only for big OEMs that plan to manufacture and support same hardware for years to come.

Enthusiasts will most likely simply buy a mobo that uses old DDR3 or a mobo that has slots for both new and old. There's very little point jumping into DDR4 exclusive bandwagon yet when the prices are astronomical and you get close to zero performance benefit.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Those UniDIMMs will have no use or interest for enthusiast users, only for big OEMs that plan to manufacture and support same hardware for years to come.

Enthusiasts will most likely simply buy a mobo that uses old DDR3 or a mobo that has slots for both new and old. There's very little point jumping into DDR4 exclusive bandwagon yet when the prices are astronomical and you get close to zero performance benefit.
    Most enthusiasts will likely be going for the top-notch, as that is what it means to be enthusiast. Kind of like "money isn't an object" so to speak.

By now, I'm willing to bet most enthusiasts are already on DDR4, or already have such good systems that Intel Haswell-E and DDR4 wasn't a big enough improvement to warrant it. Yes, I'm suggesting most hardcore enthusiasts aren't even looking at stuff like Skylake, they look at Intel's tier above that, like I previously mentioned with Haswell-E.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water