Poll: Which US political party do you prefer?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Poll: Democrat or Republican?

So, which are you? I'm avoiding mentioning other political parties because, well, a vote for another party at this point just means one more vote against the primary party you would have voted for. Feel free to comment about a different party you prefer, though.

For those who don't know, these are some of the general traits of each (Which can vary, person to person)

Democrats: Left-leaning, want progressive taxes and less military spending, support gay rights, pro-choice, want universal healthcare, liberal, blue donkey.

Republicans: Right-leaning, want a flat tax and more military spending, support traditional marriage, pro-life, believe businesses can provide better healthcare than the government, conservative, red elephant.

Deleted
    None, they're both 2 of the most corrupt political parties in the Western world.

That being said, I have sympathy for some Democrat politicians and I have yet to hear about a modern day Republican that I can respect, but I don't know many American politicians at all so that might have something to do with it.

Deleted
    I should naturally lean democrat (and I have in past years) but now I just can't agree with the things they're doing.

On the other hand, republicans are just nasty and I disagree with the vast majority of their policies.

So nothing. But I'm British so I don't vote in the US so it doesn't matter anyway.

Having said that, there's an election in the UK and it's the same sort of problem. Both sides are just bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tory.

The party of the people*

*Not poor people, they can go do one.

7+ Year Old Account
    nothing of them i agree with

I almost always vote Democrat.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Libertarian even though I disagree with the total abolishment of the welfare system.

I disagree with your definition of democrat or republican.

Democrats: View the world as the people and government vs the business sector.

Republicans: View the world as the people and the business sector vs the government.

Both parties want cheap affordable health care for all. Democrats think the path is government health care. Republicans think the path is cutting regulations and creating more health care workers and doctors to cause prices to collapse (the same way cell phones and TVs get cheaper and more accessible over time).

I don't know how you can say the democrats support gay rights. Obama didn't even support gay marriage until AFTER polling started to show a majority support it as well, and only AFTER Biden supported it first. Before him, Bill Clinton signed the Defense of Marriage Act and supported "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

On gay rights, BOTH parties are "leading from behind". They are purely doing what the majority wants. When the majority was against gay rights, both parties were against gay rights. In 2016, both parties will support gay rights because a majority now support gay rights. But I'm SURE the democrats want you to forget they ever were against gay rights. If the polling flipped and a majority were against gay rights again, both parties would likely flip right back as well.

I cannot possibly fathom how democrats believe government is the answer to our problems. The private sector has consistently proven to be superior at allocating resources. Any country that went to a big government model eventually had to abandon it for a free market model or get left behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some would say "lol@America" is a predominantly liberal attitude and therefore those numbers might as well be Democrat numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Some would say "lol@America" is a predominantly liberal attitude and therefore those numbers might as well be Democrat numbers.
    It's the attitude taken by non Americans. So yes pretty much a Democrat vote, because outside of a few countries the likes of Pakistan and Afghanistan, noone would for any of the recent Republican candidates. Exhibit A:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Hmm. Points for the left:

1. The US media is on the far left.
    2. Hillary Clinton outpolls all GOP challengers.
    3. The general population leans left.

Points for the right:

1. Remove Hillary Clinton from the field and the 2016 presidential election is wide open, in fact the republicans would probably be favored to win in 2016.
    2. The GOP has both houses of congress and they have their largest lead in the House in 80 years.
    3. When it comes to actual voters instead of general population, the nation doesn't lean left.

Here's something to think about. EVERYTHING broke right for the democrats in 2008. That was the perfect storm of events. They had a young charismatic candidate in Obama. Bush was hated. There was this pervasive effort to blame everything on Bush and portray events as another 1929.

And Obama only won by 7%.

7%! He BARELY got a majority of the vote. THAT'S how WEAK the democrat party is. Obama went on to be the only president to win re-election where his share of the vote SHRANK. And Obama has been eternally underwater in his approval rating (not that you'd EVER know because the media REFUSES to report his approval rating numbers, but I'm sure if Obama crossed above 50% in approval rating, they will start plastering that on page 1 of every newspaper).

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    I cannot possibly fathom how democrats believe government is the answer to our problems. The private sector has consistently proven to be superior at allocating resources. Any country that went to a big government model eventually had to abandon it for a free market model or get left behind.
    Wealth gap.

Deleted
    Neither, and I am not from the US.
    That said, if I was and really wanted to choose between one of them, I would (obviously) vote for the Democrats.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2015-04-25 at 01:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. Points for the left:

1. The US media is on the far left.
    2. Hillary Clinton outpolls all GOP challengers.
    3. The general population leans left.

Points for the right:

1. Remove Hillary Clinton from the field and the 2016 presidential election is wide open, in fact the republicans would probably be favored to win in 2016.
    2. The GOP has both houses of congress and they have their largest lead in the House in 80 years.
    3. When it comes to actual voters instead of general population, the nation doesn't lean left.

Here's something to think about. EVERYTHING broke right for the democrats in 2008. That was the perfect storm of events. They had a young charismatic candidate in Obama. Bush was hated. There was this pervasive effort to blame everything on Bush and portray events as another 1929.

And Obama only won by 7%.

7%! He BARELY got a majority of the vote. THAT'S how WEAK the democrat party is. Obama went on to be the only president to win re-election where his share of the vote SHRANK. And Obama has been eternally underwater in his approval rating (not that you'd EVER know because the media REFUSES to report his approval rating numbers, but I'm sure if Obama crossed above 50% in approval rating, they will start plastering that on page 1 of every newspaper).
    sooo this post is

take away a democrat star runner, but keep in the republican ones and then they have a chance.

Obama won by 7%.... uuuhhhh......... not many presidents win in land slides, very few have... and then what would you consider a land slide?

Democrats are for the group, republicans are for the individual. Unemployment benefits for the group falls under Democrat, being able to start your own business without much government interference is Republican, etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Democrats are for the group, republicans are for the individual. Unemployment benefits for the group falls under Democrat, being able to start your own business without much government interference is Republican, etc.
    Only for the individual unless

You wanna marry an adult of the same gender
    When to decide what to do when the condom breaks
    Need to see a doctor

Im centre left so i would have to go with the dems but i really dont give a fuck about either parties but the GOP is just veering too right for my tastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol@america but if i had to choose then democrat, they seem more sane and understanding. Where from what I've seen of republicans they seem like a holes :/

I'd be voting democrat I guess. From the outside all I see is batshit crazy republicans, I don't need to know much more than that. Although I do dislike Clinton a great deal, she's not republican.

Deleted
    You're wrong, privatisation of healthcare has lead to bigger costs, privatization of the prisons has lead to more "criminals", I can't fathom how anyone could support Republicans as they are textbook cartoon villains.