Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    SVU probably isn't a good place to look for representation of subcultures. Didn't they once do an episode on furries? Can't imagine that was a flattering portrayal either.
    They did, and it wasn't pretty. Not every furry is a deviant weirdo, it's just that's what we hear about.

As far as how females are treated in the gaming industry, I'd be curious to know how many of these "it doesn't happen, get over it, it's flamebait" posts are from guys. How do you really know how girls are treated if you aren't one?

Not all girls go around saying "give me stuff! powerlevel me!" either, that's just another stupid stereotype.

I've done many jobs and consider myself a modern gypsy - dealing cards, grooming dogs, breaking horses, and for over a decade - I.T. for a bank. The stereotype is still there when it comes to PCs. It's tough for women to get in to the industry, and tougher for them to get to the top. Ask yourself, how many times have you walked in to a place and seen female I.T.? This stereotype spills over in to the gaming world, and gaming. Just last week I heard moans and groans when I spoke in vent for a pug raid in WoW. It's not common, and I'll be the first one to say so, but it does still happen and it sucks. I hear it most often when I join a pug rated BG. "What, a GIRL? Now we're going to f*** lose."

So don't gloss over it like it doesn't happen or it's no thing, because it does and it is. As far as this episode, though, it's garbage and exaggerated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    You cannot be serious... Right?
    No, I am serious, and this thread is already, providing proof of exactly what I mentioned, and the types of attitudes, clip addresses.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The real question is....hotmail? Hotmail?!

Gosh, Tiili, might as well just go back to using AOL. (You do have 900 free minutes, after all)
    Pff. I've had my hotmail adress for ages and I've got stuff registered to it, I've got my ISP mail for people I know irl.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    So the gaming community reflects society at large. Nothing shocking there.
    I could also generalize about how young males usually behave and how a lot of them are socialy inept...
    Socially inept teens in a video game is not even a stereotype. It's a great escape from an unfair reality for those who cannot easily form social contacts. It's no wonder that they sometimes don't know how to respectfully talk to girls. On the other hand, most nerds I've ever met and spoken to are usually much more nice and respectful towards women than your average social yok who drills girls in clubs.

There is a good reason why I first and foremost mute every person, or completely disable voice functions in absolutely every game I play. I don't dig into hearing other people while I play, and if I have to, I'll use 3rd party software.

The general demographic of gamers has changed, though. Back in the days, gamers were nerds. Today, you play rounds of Fifa and CoD while pre-drinking for the club. People who previously bullied nerds often own a PS4 themselves today.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    You cannot be serious... Right?
    look at his her its post history and decide.

Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    look at his her its post history and decide.
    That's why I'm asking. He/she isn't joking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    I'd be the first one to defend a female gamer over something like that, but I gotta say, they usually put themselves in situations where they were asking for that sort of attention. Here's ONE example of something that just happened.

New guild, GM has a female member. Female member messages me and says the GM is being a pervert to her and begging for pictures. I feel bad, try to ask her why she's putting up with it. Her reply was 'well I usually send guys pics but then they always ask for nudes'.

She should not have been sending anyone she didn't know on WoW pictures. Women tend to put themselves in these situations when this happens by first making sure everyone is well aware that they're female when nobody asks (or they make the mistake of calling them male and they reply 'uh i'm a girl *wink face*). Nobody needs to know your sex in a video game and you don't need to send them pictures when it becomes apparent that you're a female. Then you have the girls who use their sexuality to get youtube or twitch views. How are we supposed to respect that? It's so obvious how hard they're trying to get attention placed on the fact that they're a girl playing games and it's painful to deal with. Clearly going as far as to attacking a girl or telling her to go home and making her feel bad isn't the right route but I can easily see how they started the situation by making the focal point of their presence be:

"I am a girl and I play games"

When the only thing that should matter is whether or not they play games with us.
    Her saying that she's a girl shouldn't open her up to harassment. I agree that she shouldn't be sending people pictures of herself, but that doesn't mean that guys should just jump straight to nudes...

Your argument is similar to the rape one where people say that girls shouldn't wear provocative clothing if they don't want to be raped. Yes, that opens them up to that situation but they should still be free to wear whatever they want. Same thing with gamer girls. Sure, maybe they shouldn't advertise that they're a girl because it opens them up to harassment but we shouldn't be telling girls not to be true to who they are but instead we should tell guys to not be idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu26 View Post
    They did, and it wasn't pretty. Not every furry is a deviant weirdo, it's just that's what we hear about.

As far as how females are treated in the gaming industry, I'd be curious to know how many of these "it doesn't happen, get over it, it's flamebait" posts are from guys. How do you really know how girls are treated if you aren't one?

So don't gloss over it like it doesn't happen or it's no thing, because it does and it is. As far as this episode, though, it's garbage and exaggerated.
    We are talking about the majority of gamers here though. A women being "molested" in games from time to time only proves that there are some idiot individuals out there. That does not mean that the gaming industry as a whole is a patriarchy. As a side note, most often when I post pictures of myself somewhere, I get at least 2/3 girls telling me how handsome I am. Does it bother me? Fucking no, why would it? This is not classified as molestation.

Every clan/guild I was ever in had at least 60 members, of which usually ~5 are girls. Just check the difference in numbers. Why do people still wonder that women are more often victims of inappropriate approaches?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu26 View Post
    Ask yourself, how many times have you walked in to a place and seen female I.T.?
    Women are generally not interested in video games and the software industry. It does not mean that getting to the top is harder for a woman. She just needs to be as dedicated as a man.

Missing dedication is not an indicator for anything else but missing dedication. And most women simply still think that games and hardcore gaming are "uncool".

oh noes. not that bs again

i must call picard and riker. need a double facepalm NOW.

btw: i am sorry for the women out there, shaming them for their "so called" representants aka "totally stupid pseudo SJW feminists". how could a intelligent and real strong woman get taken serious, when there are hopping a ton of pseudos out there, mentioning hillarious stuff and totally lost reality ? i am very sorry for the REAL feministic straight women out there.

also i have to note that i HATE the word feminism. they are humans. not women. thats it. in a world with real "no differences" there would be "men and women" just to describe what they have between their legs. so the word "feminism" itself, counters totally what the word stands for. its time to realize that we are just humans. if some of the pseudo feministics also realize that, than they can stop projecting every little bullshit on their selfes.

cheeseus
    Last edited by Niwes; 2015-04-25 at 02:41 PM.

to the OP-ahahahahahahha hoohohohoho hahahhahah omg hahhahha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaRedBull View Post
    have you played any multiplayer with a female gamer in it? All other people in the team are thursty and call them whores , bitches.."send nude pics pls" and so on.

stop denying it. just stop.
    Current line up:
    Progression guild 9/10M GM = Female.. guild is flooded with females.
    Alt guild with zero progression GM = Female, guild has also a lot of women.
    Absolutely no problems in either guild.

playing since late vanilla and crossing path with heaps of women... And they've all have ever been treated normal.
    You seem to be the one that needs to stop...
    Maybe it's time to grow up and join mature guilds?

btw..... you're late with this thread.
    I watched that episode too on the night it aired.
    It wasn't bad.. But certainly extremely exaggerated.
    And I say that despite L&O SVU being my fav long run show.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2015-04-25 at 02:41 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Stop it. That would not conform to their biased, sensationalist world views. Women are oppressed, always, forever. /i

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You mean people can choose who to hang out with?
    But that wold imply that those finding nasty environments are out looking for it, and, who knows, maybe enabling it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    You mean people can choose who to hang out with?
    But that wold imply that those finding nasty environments are out looking for it, and, who knows, maybe enabling it.
    mmhmm... that's closer to the truth..

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, I don't know that people do it intentionally. I doubt anyone - other than immature jerks - really WANTS to hang around immature jerks.

But - especially in a game like WoW - people may well be attached to their current guild for other reasons, or simply don't know that there really are other, more mature, groups of players out there.
    I just have to remember the old Affenjungs Inc. in Germany. This was a circle jerk of a guild, but what could you do? They owned their server so either it's them or nothing. Luckily in WoW you can now join whomever you want to thanks to server changes and what not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I just have to remember the old Affenjungs Inc. in Germany. This was a circle jerk of a guild, but what could you do? They owned their server so either it's them or nothing. Luckily in WoW you can now join whomever you want to thanks to server changes and what not.
    The name is program? LOL
    Honestly now, the name would really make me suspicious to join a guild with that name. It has trouble and lack of maturity written all over it.
    Monkeyboys Inc that's just not your average guild name haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this thread is either genius satire or a total pillock being a total pillock.

Quote Originally Posted by VodkaRedBull View Post
    Just watched the SVU episode about gamers...

I was pretty shocked about how gamers are treating women in the industry and how non-inclusive they are. Not only as employees in the industry but also as gamers in the gaming scene. Do you think that this is how male gamers are really behaving like towards women in gaming? If so: thats pretty fucking horrible

She literally asked him what his fucking problem is but of course she doesnt get an answer, because there is no reason to exclude women from this hobby. In the next scene we see how two gamer dudebros attacking a female gamer on the convention and everyone is cheering at them..wtf is going on?? And then the fake clapping and laughing like its something funny. Im really thinking about leaving the gaming scene because i dont want to be associated with those ***** idiots
    Couple of points I think you missed in the episode. The misogynists are a minority of a minority, just like they are in real-world gaming. A minority of gamers are toxic, and a minority of those (I think) will be misogynistic. The problem is the internet is great at bringing together and amplifying those minorities so they can seem to dominate and make the whole environment toxic. The people cheering during the attack weren't witnessing it, they were still watching the tournament in the main hall. It's worth noting there were hundreds of gamers shown in that episode - including one of the stars - and less than a handful were the villains.

Deleted
    I don't think most gamers have the physique to being able to gang rape, most of them are to slow

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yep it's a 100% true based on everything I seen, and not only my account plenty more, especially gaming PC Online and Consoles. But then again, it is also home to some of the most racist, and homphobic vile shit aswell.

I felt the same way about being associated as a gamer, and with this latest bout of sexism disguised as a campaign to combat gaming journalism, I no longer do just that. Gaming is now just a casual hobby, long away from the days of NES all the way to my all time Favorite Dreamcast. I not have a PS4 and still play a couple MMO's online, but, I have limited my involvement with anything social, and if I see or hear the kind of nonsense very much REAL from the this clip, I report it, and if never gets handled, I move on.

Get a load of this guy, Cam.

Still believes in the "muhsoggyknees" narrative and then dares imply he is enlightened when all he does is go to his regular sources, which will dish out the same bullshit stories he and others need to keep their hugbox intact, and to make them feel like strong courageous warriors, fighting for good and for justice, and then claims that he knows everything about it.

Doesn't even dare see or investigate it from the other side. It's all a predetermined conclusion for him. To then call others ignorant, it's beautiful.

Oh, it's Mall Security. What else is new?