7+ Year Old Account

professions on low-level alts-worth it?

I rolled a couple of alts on a server that I plan to transfer to, they're in their 20s now and I haven't selected professions for them yet. They're a bit cash poor, but that won't be an issue once my main comes over. I just don't know what to do with them profession-wise, WoD has changed things so much, it used to be that I'd take herbing/skinning/mining and make decent gold on the AH at low levels selling the raw mats. Does that even work anymore? The server in question is high-pop, I've skimmed the AH but not for stuff like copper ore or herbs. Just looking for advice, I guess, thanks.

I am of the mind that worrying about what you can make with the professions at low level isn't really worth it. But leveling them some as you level speeds up the process of getting them capped at 100 since you're already gated on progress to once a day cool downs to get to profession cap.

i would choose the gathering ones. Some money and you get experience for weedpicking and mining. You still need old world herbs for inscription.

The changes mean that you can do professions simply for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    I am of the mind that worrying about what you can make with the professions at low level isn't really worth it. But leveling them some as you level speeds up the process of getting them capped at 100 since you're already gated on progress to once a day cool downs to get to profession cap.
    I tend to agree with this.... and if you want to power level, it's much easier to gather mats or gold at max level (either for the low level patterns or for the high level catch-up patterns).

Gathering professions might be lucrative while leveling, if you can keep your skill up easily... you'd really have to check the AH on that one.

Edit: Paperfox raises a good point about herbs for inscription, and there are a few herbs that have traditionally sold for a lot (Goldthorn comes to mind)... that's probably a decent choice (plus, herbs tend to be found everywhere).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    i would choose the gathering ones. Some money and you get experience for weedpicking and mining. You still need old world herbs for inscription.
    What for? If you're levelling, it's much faster to wait until you're in Draenor and pick WoD herbs, since you can spam Warbinder's Ink Research, which effectively gives you 6 points per use (3 from creating the ink & 3 from the Research itself) without a daily cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post

The changes mean that you can do professions simply for fun.
    You can just use the new inks to buy the old ones at an ink trader.

Outside of gathering professions, there isn't a point until you hit draenor. However, if you level fast, like me, you will vastly outlevel your gathering by the 30s and what little time you do spend in a zone will be spent questing. If you make a point to grab every single herb/ore that you see, then it is beneficial but more time consuming.
    It's more about how you see the leveling process. If you hate leveling and just want it over with asap, then gathering is ultimately a waste of time. Classic herb/ore don't go for nearly as much or sell as consistently as they used to. However, BC herbs and ore still sell quite well because primal mights are needed for transmog crap.

While leveling you should only have mining and herbalism.

It's at max level that you worry about what professions you want.

Easiest and standard way is herbalism + mining, while WoD herbs and ore are low value it is not true for old content - people buy this to level professions. You will also get quite nice XP as bonus.

EDIT: Actually now when I read you will bring your main with cash: do not bother with professions until at least level 90.
    Last edited by Fugazi; 2015-04-26 at 10:03 AM.

I wouldn't bother with gathering professions, you'll make sod all money from those. Pick whatever max level professions you want and level them if you please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Alt have gathering profs. You adjust when you reach max level. It's not all about the money, it also give a little bit of xp everytime you use it. End of story.

Get a port from a friendly mage to Stormshield, buy the profession book for 80g, start making WoD recipes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    Get a port from a friendly mage to Stormshield, buy the profession book for 80g, start making WoD recipes.
    Can you really do that??

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos1985 View Post
    Can you really do that??
    Yes.
    /tenchars
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff