Started playing again... wtf is up with that game ???

This is a rant post, sorry to those who love the game.

A few days ago, I was bored and figured, why not give swtor an other try ? I played when it first came out, loved it, leveled to 50 in a few days, rushed flashpoints and operations and quit when content was exhausted. So, I was pretty thrilled to see that swtor was going well and that there was a lot of new things to do.

I start up the game, everything was still there, I play around with my commando's specs, I take some time to check new content (dungeon finder, strongholds, starship PVP...) and start looking at how to get the new expansion. By the way, it's pretty messy figuring out what you have to pay to get access to xpacs, I found the right info on reddit and nowhere else...
    I decide to go for 1 month subscription since it comes with Rise of the Hutt.

All preped, I head to Makeb to start digging in the good stuff. First conversations, first enemies, everything's alright. I play for an hour or so and start having trouble killing enemies but nothing worrisome. Things get a little worse but I figure it must be my gear (Tionese/PVP seaon 1) until I realize that enemies are now 1 level above me. I check the quest level, says 51, I'm 51, mobs are 52... Weird but I keep going on thinking I like a little challenge.
    But then things get even worse, I start hitting a brick wall when I hit lvl 52, why ? Because mobs are now lvl 54, say what now ? I ask around and people tell me I have to do daily quests, warzones and all kinds of non-Makeb content to get some xp. Not cool.

I move my sexy commando ass to Ilum, Black Hole, Secxtor X, Flashpoints and PVP. I hit 53, almost 54 and head back to fleet. I see that I now have access to new quests : Seeker Droid and the scanning Binoculars thing. Ok why not !

I head to the first planet, binoculars while not being very interesting work and are ok, but Seeker Droid ? What the actual fuck is that ? Not only is it pretty poor gameplay wise but to make it worse it starts bugging out after a few try (no scanning hologram, droid that randomly stop detecting things), logging out didn't fix anything, I actually had to go to an other planet to make it work again. That's when it got beyond horrible and made me rage alt -F4. Putting binoculars objective inside open PVP zone or behind a sith camp is pure BS.

My excitement and enjoyment went from 100 to 0 in a matter of hours running into issues after issues. Maybe there are things that I don't fully understand yet but I'm fairly used to MMOs and I rarely have that kind of issues. The worse being that there isn't enough quests in the xpacs to level up... Having to redo lvl 50 content is a terrible design.

If you had looked, on makeb there are GSI terminals. If you are having trouble leveling, click any of the terminals and get a GSI buff. It does all sorts of great things to help you level easier.

Seeker droid, like archeology in wow sucks ass, at least it does for me. I don't touch it unless I have too. I know some like it and go after the gear you can get from it. I do not. The few times I did give it a try I can't say I had a bug with it.

If you don't like it, don't do it. So far as leveling on makeb goes. That's all you because as of a that GSI buff being added. It couldn't be easier. There not hard to find, there not hidden and are at the start of every area. Get it, use it, level up.

If you read up on that stuff on Reddit there was most certainly references to the GSI buff hubs that increase your power to make leveling on Makeb a joke. Running Kuat Drive Yards (or any on level Flashpoint) in between also helps to give experience for leveling and break the leveling monotony if you find it monotonous.

I'm not sure if it was just my experience but, I never had that issue on Makeb, I never felt under leveled and I did it multiple times before the GSI terminals were put in. Something is obviously different between your experience and mine, but I find it difficult to believe that it changed so drastically to allow for people to be 2 levels below where they're supposed to be when they get to a new area. Maybe you're missing something? In any case, the info on Reddit is accurate for making up lost xp, and that content is actually pretty good (if you haven't run it 100000 times already).

Oh look....someone who hasn't played the game since shortly after launch, does basically zero research on the game after all the updates/expansions/changes, then jumps back in out of the blue and bitches because they can't roll face through the game.

Seriously....why did you even bother posting that wall of BS? Either do some research and figure out what the hell is available to you or don't bother at all.

Like the others have said click on the GSI terminals for the buff and laugh as you faceroll through Makeb.

Also wow Zep. What a hostile post.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously had no idea people still play this mess of a game and continue to waste their hard earned money on it. And I'm serious when i say it shocks me that people continue to play and support a game like this which only encourages companies to make them and laugh all the way to the bank with your money.
    Here come the Irish.

I'm also returning back to SWTOR...

Played early release, went for 6-8 months straight then went on a break. I've been on-off-on now taking a few months off and playing for a few weeks or even a few months before going on another break. As far as that problem with Makeb being too hard? i dont know if its changed since i last did it but i havent noticed any difficulty issues. Only notable thing i had to do is AC's that i normally run as me/comp dps/dps or dps/tank i've ended up having to go dps/heals. Had to do this with my Arsenal Merc, Marks Sniper, and Jugg (the middle dps tree). I also tried out the binocs and droid quests and thought that they were crap so i didnt even bother.

The good thing is that i have never done an FP until a month ago, which is how long i've been back. I played all that time before this last break and only time i did an FP was for the HK51. So even now as an F2P preferred i can do FPs as much as i want. I dont even worry about gear since i can get a full set of custom gear with all blue quality item mods. The only thing i dont like is that it appears a lot of level cap FPs is just rehashed lower level FPs. Hard mode Hammer Station, Hard Mode Athiss and so on. I have no doubt that they added a bunch of new mechanics. But i like to sightsee too when i play...so i like to see new maps/instances as well as new bosses/mechanics.

Right now i'm thinking about reinstalling Rift to try it out on the side but i'm probably gonna play SWTOR another month or so before i go on another break.
    Last edited by notanmmmonewbie; 2015-04-26 at 06:16 AM.

I just resubscribed yesterday after not playing for a long time. I do feel kind of weak on Makeb (leveling as a sith assassin tank), but I guess my gear sucks and my skills suck after being away.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Recom View Post
    This is a rant post, sorry to those who love the game.

A few days ago, I was bored and figured, why not give swtor an other try ? I played when it first came out, loved it, leveled to 50 in a few days, rushed flashpoints and operations and quit when content was exhausted. So, I was pretty thrilled to see that swtor was going well and that there was a lot of new things to do.

I start up the game, everything was still there, I play around with my commando's specs, I take some time to check new content (dungeon finder, strongholds, starship PVP...) and start looking at how to get the new expansion. By the way, it's pretty messy figuring out what you have to pay to get access to xpacs, I found the right info on reddit and nowhere else...
    I decide to go for 1 month subscription since it comes with Rise of the Hutt.

All preped, I head to Makeb to start digging in the good stuff. First conversations, first enemies, everything's alright. I play for an hour or so and start having trouble killing enemies but nothing worrisome. Things get a little worse but I figure it must be my gear (Tionese/PVP seaon 1) until I realize that enemies are now 1 level above me. I check the quest level, says 51, I'm 51, mobs are 52... Weird but I keep going on thinking I like a little challenge.
    But then things get even worse, I start hitting a brick wall when I hit lvl 52, why ? Because mobs are now lvl 54, say what now ? I ask around and people tell me I have to do daily quests, warzones and all kinds of non-Makeb content to get some xp. Not cool.

I move my sexy commando ass to Ilum, Black Hole, Secxtor X, Flashpoints and PVP. I hit 53, almost 54 and head back to fleet. I see that I now have access to new quests : Seeker Droid and the scanning Binoculars thing. Ok why not !

I head to the first planet, binoculars while not being very interesting work and are ok, but Seeker Droid ? What the actual fuck is that ? Not only is it pretty poor gameplay wise but to make it worse it starts bugging out after a few try (no scanning hologram, droid that randomly stop detecting things), logging out didn't fix anything, I actually had to go to an other planet to make it work again. That's when it got beyond horrible and made me rage alt -F4. Putting binoculars objective inside open PVP zone or behind a sith camp is pure BS.

My excitement and enjoyment went from 100 to 0 in a matter of hours running into issues after issues. Maybe there are things that I don't fully understand yet but I'm fairly used to MMOs and I rarely have that kind of issues. The worse being that there isn't enough quests in the xpacs to level up... Having to redo lvl 50 content is a terrible design.
    You say Issue after Issue, but you don't seem to list any ACTUAL issues that aren't just you not looking into how the game works before complaining.

You can do Makeb in lvl 1 gear if you really want to, I just went through Makeb on 2x exp week in lvl 41 gear. All you do is flick the switch and you get boosted to 55. Though even before GSI I never had an Issue EVER doing Makeb, even in leveling gear. Sounds more like the issue is you and not the game on that part.

Your second issue. In the 100's/1000's of times I've done Seeker droid missions I've never had it bug. So completely unsure why it would be bugging for you.

Also "he worse being that there isn't enough quests in the xpacs to level up... Having to redo lvl 50 content is a terrible design." I have hit cap Far before even finishing both Makeb or the SoR expacs. I usually hit 55 on Makeb about 2/3rds the way through and generally hit 60 Either at the end of Rishi or just starting Yavin 4. You said you are a Sub aswell meaning you are getting the Sub bonus so I DEFINITELY don't know how you aren't hitting cap.

Unless of course you are one of those people that skips every single side quests and complains that the storyline mission alone doesn't cap them.

First off, thanks for the tips guys (and for not mindlessly bashing me event though I would have understood) !

I did use the GSI terminal when I first arrived to Makeb and it probably helped (I didn't really pay attention). Now that I'm 53, with the GSI buff, things are fairly easy so yeah that's what I was missing.

You say Issue after Issue, but you don't seem to list any ACTUAL issues that aren't just you not looking into how the game works before complaining.
    Well I did list 3 issues. I wanted to test it myself before searching more info on the internet but I got so frustrated that I needed to vent... So you're right, I should have searched more at least before complaining, sorry about that !

Unless of course you are one of those people that skips every single side quests and complains that the storyline mission alone doesn't cap them.
    I don't think I did. you are talking about bonus objectives as well ? I did them when I found one but I may have missed some.

Quote Originally Posted by WillFeral View Post
    I seriously had no idea people still play this mess of a game and continue to waste their hard earned money on it. And I'm serious when i say it shocks me that people continue to play and support a game like this which only encourages companies to make them and laugh all the way to the bank with your money.
    I love this game. I love the feel of the universe, the planets, the sounds, any group action, the story line. I want to see if this game has more to deliver with the new content and I'll try to go past my latest frustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    Like the others have said click on the GSI terminals for the buff and laugh as you faceroll through Makeb.

Also wow Zep. What a hostile post.
    Hostile? Maybe a bit. But it's annoying to no end to see someone with such ignorance/arrogance come in and basically bash a game because they literally have no idea what they're doing but blame it on the game instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post

You can do Makeb in lvl 1 gear if you really want to, I just went through Makeb on 2x exp week in lvl 41 gear. All you do is flick the switch and you get boosted to 55. Though even before GSI I never had an Issue EVER doing Makeb, even in leveling gear. Sounds more like the issue is you and not the game on that part.

Your second issue. In the 100's/1000's of times I've done Seeker droid missions I've never had it bug. So completely unsure why it would be bugging for you.

Also "he worse being that there isn't enough quests in the xpacs to level up... Having to redo lvl 50 content is a terrible design." I have hit cap Far before even finishing both Makeb or the SoR expacs. I usually hit 55 on Makeb about 2/3rds the way through and generally hit 60 Either at the end of Rishi or just starting Yavin 4. You said you are a Sub aswell meaning you are getting the Sub bonus so I DEFINITELY don't know how you aren't hitting cap.

My thoughts exactly.

Definitely hostile but I can't blame you. Sure I have no idea what I'm doing but I did search reddit and I asked on Makeb and Fleet and NOBODY told me about the GSI buff then so sorry for not being able to find every little detail right off the bat...

7+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I recently started the game.... I took a break, played some different games, but I decided to play SWTOR again. I love the game... I really do. It is so hard for me to play because EVERYWHERE I go I am riddled with FPS drops. On the fleet, in PVP, running around, anywhere, i go to 60fps to 10-15fps, constantly. Is there any way to have a solid FPS in this game? Is it me? Is it there servers? There shouldnt be this much troubleshooting just to play a game. Any advice, idea, or comments are greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottParziale View Post
    Okay, I recently started the game.... I took a break, played some different games, but I decided to play SWTOR again. I love the game... I really do. It is so hard for me to play because EVERYWHERE I go I am riddled with FPS drops. On the fleet, in PVP, running around, anywhere, i go to 60fps to 10-15fps, constantly. Is there any way to have a solid FPS in this game? Is it me? Is it there servers? There shouldnt be this much troubleshooting just to play a game. Any advice, idea, or comments are greatly appreciated.
    Honestly, in the curent state of SWTOR, I'm more inclined to think it's your PC than SW. This game is heavy CPU dependent. That could be your bottle neck. You still need a decent video card and memory but if you're running 60 fps and it drops because you go somewhere. That's on your end and not the game. There have been some pretty good optimizations to the engine. It's still not able to hold large scale pvp and some other crap but something as simple as running around. That's not the engine. I feel like that's something on your end.

Definitely hostile but I can't blame you. Sure I have no idea what I'm doing..SNIP..
    It's apparent you have no idea what you're doing but how about next time you ask questions instead of looking like a fool with the OP you started with.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-04-26 at 11:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Right, I definitely could be on my end. Is there anyway to stop this. Im not worried about getting over 60fps, I just want some steady gameplay. If you could maybe review my system or something? I just need it to stop

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my system specs :

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    RAM: 8GB
    Motherboard: MSI MS-7641

Thanks guys

Right, I definitely could be on my end. Is there anyway to stop this. Im not worried about getting over 60fps, I just want some steady gameplay. If you could maybe review my system or something? I just need it to stop

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my system specs :

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    RAM: 8GB
    Motherboard: MSI MS-7641

Thanks guys
    Just my guess.

The only thing I immediately find is that your CPU is considered mid range and it's not known for great game performance. Not bad but just not good. SWTOR doesn't take advantage of 8 cores so that does you no good. Some reviews say it's "more than capable of handling basic gaming and other tasks." I do not put SWTOR in the category of basic gaming. It seems SWTOR is heavily reliant on CPU performance. That could be one of your bottlenecks in FPS but it's not like your CPU is far behind either way. It' more than meets the minimum requirements but it's just not known for great gaming even in it's price range.

What R9 versions is your video card? While SWTOR does need a nice CPU, you still have to have a decent video card for online gaming. If you have a R9-230. You're on the bottom rung meeting some minimum requirement. IF you are pushing a higher R9 version you should be OK in that area.

However, make sure you are using the latest update video card driver. That could be a problem if you are using an older driver.

8 gig of RAM should be fine unless it's some value RAM combined with other things like the CPU and video card. Then that could be your problem but normally, 8 gigs is plenty.

I found no great or bad reviews for your motherboard. I have to assume it's mid range too. Decent for gaming.

It honestly may be a combination of your PC and SWTOR too. I know thats not some great answer but I've heard people having trouble with Radeon cards so I'd check that video driver first.

Thats about all I got and it's just a guess.

The GSI stuff on makeb is hard to guess if you don't know about it - even tho the terminals are everywhere and shiny blue. There should be a introduction mission - but that will take BW few more years.

Seeker and Makrobinocular missions are VERY time consuming with little reward - do them when you are bored at 60 (55 if you don't have the xpac)

FYI: Now is the time to jump into the game. From 4th of May and on, subs get 12 time xp for class missions (basically means, you can ignore everything but your story while leveling)

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I recently started the game.... I took a break, played some different games, but I decided to play SWTOR again. I love the game... I really do. It is so hard for me to play because EVERYWHERE I go I am riddled with FPS drops. On the fleet, in PVP, running around, anywhere, i go to 60fps to 10-15fps, constantly. Is there any way to have a solid FPS in this game? Is it me? Is it there servers? There shouldnt be this much troubleshooting just to play a game.
    Just logged in and my fps hovers around 80-100 in Fleet and 100-110 on Tatooine, both in and out of the combat.

Definitely hostile but I can't blame you. Sure I have no idea what I'm doing but I did search reddit and I asked on Makeb and Fleet and NOBODY told me about the GSI buff then so sorry for not being able to find every little detail right off the bat...
    The thing is you don't really need the buff, with it you just faceroll through the quests. I find it very hard to believe a subscriber is having trouble with XP to that extent. Worst case scenario you finish Makeb at 54 if you skip pretty much all side quests and bonuses.

P.S. Watching paint dry is more exciting than seeker droid missions.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My biggest gripe with seeker droid missions is how long the damn seeker takes. Archaeology was eh in WoW, but at least I could kill a dig site in like 30 seconds. Feels like the driod takes 30 seconds on every try.