Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    don't forget the various mob tweaks requiem has like making undead resistant to a number of things and getting a large fortify health effect on top. Makes those early encounters with draugr a tad more intense than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    did they ever make a version of requiem that isn't all or nothing? really killed that mod for me cause the maker didn't do one thing that T3nd0 did... split their mod up so you can choose what parts to take.

such all encompassing overhauls just don't get everything right and that wiggle room to leave out parts if you find something better suited to your tastes is just a nice thing to have. That and a lot of requiem seemed to have tediousness for tedious sake and would keep you in the dark about some effects for immersion... not like people were interested in knowing if things actually worked.
    There's bunch of variables for about everything you can adjust to your liking.

- - - Updated - - -

don't forget the various mob tweaks requiem has like making undead resistant to a number of things and getting a large fortify health effect on top. Makes those early encounters with draugr a tad more intense than normal.
    Yeah, it makes number of sensible changes like skeletons taking less damage from sharp objects but more from blunt ones.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The bear playing lute of course! It's the best mod around.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DF_t5gcrg

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    There's bunch of variables for about everything you can adjust to your liking.
    yes... only took about 2 years to get around to making the smart decision. still I'd rather have the option to just not install portions to avoid compatibility issues. If you have to wait till you're in game to configure that stuff it's a bit late.

as to the 'sensible' changes. some of those sensible changes come at the drastic cost of some other things. RP and immersion took front seat over gameplay for some decisions. Realism isn't always the 'better' option

yes... only took about 2 years to get around to making the smart decision. still I'd rather have the option to just not install portions to avoid compatibility issues. If you have to wait till you're in game to configure that stuff it's a bit late.

as to the 'sensible' changes. some of those sensible changes come at the drastic cost of some other things. RP and immersion took front seat over gameplay for some decisions. Realism isn't always the 'better' option
    Two years? Dude, those were there year and half ago already.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    I just re-installed Skyrim, was looking to see what mods I should put on it, and have no idea which mods are good or necessary.

What are some basic mods that are required? What are the best mods to put on for a great experience?

Thanks
    If you are new to modding or want some sort of guide to help you pick a good "base" then I always suggest going to TESgeneral.com and clicking on the "Skyrim Guide" tab. From there you can pick different categories to start your modding experience. It will guide you through patches, to retextures, to body mods and ENB's.

After that you can figure out what direction you want to go in. However, I would strongly recommend Interesting NPC's ( http://3dnpc.com/ ) and all of the "Populated" mods ( http://erkeilmods.altervista.org/sky...-relliosavini/ ) to give your world a more lively feeling.

Just started my nth playthrough last week. Must haves for me are realvision enb w/ realistic lighting overhaul.

Immersive armors/weapons and JaySuS swords are also great. And you cant forget the UNP body mod either

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Requiem vs SkyRe, discuss please.

I like SkyRe but I'd like trying something else. I read Requiem is more RP-ish and that Archers are pretty damn strong in it.

However the thing I love most about SkyRe is its perks and guardian stones and I hear Requiem's aren't nearly as good.
    I can't speak for SkyRe, but I've been using Requiem for a year or two and now I can't make a character without it.

Combat is pretty Rocks, Paper, Scissors in the fact that archers/2handers will generally one shot NPCs (and you) if they're wearing robes or light armor. Heavy armor is powerful, but requires two perks just to wear and is a big stamina drain until you get to skill 25+. Magic is absolutely devastating once you hit 50+ skill, but unless you have the right perks spent, casting (and sneaking) in armor is almost an auto-fail. Once you get the feel for it, you'll love it, as it makes even the crappiest bandit a threat in early levels.

Most skills require a perk just to even use, like lockpicking, pickpocket, persuade checks (speech), sneak, enchanting. Skill gains are slow, but the perks are powerful and determine your ability more than anything else. Smithing requires a book to be found for each perk spent, such as "The Ways of Dwarven Smithing", etc., so you can't learn Dwarven smithing until you have this book in your possession! These books can either be found in related dungeons, or bought from related merchants. I like this because it makes my skill pretty much level with me (won't be going into a dwemer ruin at level 5; guess I'll have to wait to raise my skill), as opposed to going 1-100 on iron daggers in ten minutes. Additionally, most armor and weapons can be "recycled", allowing you to break them down into their corresponding ingots. For example, if you go to the smelter you can turn a suit of steel armor into three steel ingots.

Monsters have been revamped slightly. Your common draugr is now very tough to kill unless you're wielding fire or silver. If you go to Bleak Falls Barrow at level 5, you'll be tossed out on your a$$, especially in the last room. Dragons are endgame enemies, and odds are you won't be able to kill one (except the first) until you've come close to maxing your build. All undead and machines are immune to sneak attack, which makes rogue builds exceedingly tough beginning at midlevels unless you've got some toe to toe skills, reaaaally good arrows or magic. Dremora whoop, too.

There's no fast travel allowed and arrows/coins have weight. Now before you groan and close the browser, almost everything I've mentioned so far can be adjusted or turned off in the menu. I always turn fast travel back on and cheat on carry weight because I want to PLAY, not run back to town every time I loot a bandit.

Anyway, there's a lot to cover, but I highly recommend this mod. It rewards role-playing and setting limits for yourself, but you can also be OP and destroy everything, too.

I can't play without alternative life because 1) some mods, particularly ones that rely on SKSE can wonk out your opening and 2) I'm tired of the cart ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    I can't play without alternative life because 1) some mods, particularly ones that rely on SKSE can wonk out your opening and 2) I'm tired of the cart ride.
    Same here. No more cart rides. For a long time I just used a save I had made from right before you make your character at Helgen, but even that got boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lockpick Pro because fuck fiddling with locks.

Yeah i installed requiem after years of skyre. Fighting heavy armour with a bow ain't fun, 20-30 arrows for a fuckin bandit.

Pretty rad exterior atmosphere overhaul!

Thomas the Tank Engine Mod - hands down the best mod, at least for comic reasons.

Why would you use SkyRe when the creator himself said that Perkus Maximus is its successor and is much better and more balanced?

Perkus Maximus is terrible (not to mention it doesn't like to cooperate with other mods), the talents really weren't that interesting and the rest is overkill. I much prefer SPERG's talent trees over PerMa's. I did try Requiem, bit too hard core for my tastes... I'm trying to play a game, not live in the middle ages.

Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay (SPERG)
    By far the best talent overhaul I have ever played. The perks are awesome, even at level 50 I still have things I want to invest in, and it plays well with other mods.

Enhanced High Level Gameplay
    Adds more difficult creatures to keep you from one shotting everything later in the game.

Convenient Horses
    Adds a ton of features to the horses. You can customize their looks (add barding), use them as packmules, have your follower(s) with different horses, call for your horse etc, etc. Definitely a must have.

Weapon and Armor Fixes Remade
    To address annoying inconsistencies and because its required for some specialized armor mods (I highly recommend looking up some custom armor mods too, like Armored Circlets)

And I have to give a shout out to:Caliente's Beautiful Bodies just because I've been using it so long that the game doesn't feel right without it.

There are many more that I use, but I probably wouldn't play the game without those.
    Last edited by Jaojin; 2015-06-12 at 11:37 AM.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaojin View Post
    Perkus Maximus is terrible (not to mention it doesn't like to cooperate with other mods), the talents really weren't that interesting and the rest is overkill. I much prefer SPERG's talent trees over PerMa's.
    This.

If you go light on mods then Perkus might be good. Unfortunately I run A LOT of mods and Perkus runs into too many issues playing nice with others. I can't recall which, but I do remember a few even stating they are incompatible with Perkus. So yeah, I stick with SkyRe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just followed the STEP guide, 225 mods in total

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I just followed the STEP guide, 225 mods in total
    Basically this. There are an awful lot of mods that are really cool, and i don't mention the immersive weapons/armos/creatures compilations which are awesome and any Skyrim player should have them.

However the STEP guide makes the additional step (lol pun) and lists to you the mods you want to really enanche both the visuals and gameplay without getting too much away from the Vanilla feeling. There are other mods that you may want to use (again immersive collections, the civil war one, maybe a perk tree revamp mod), but STEP gives you a complete list and order of mods installation to avoid all issues realted to them as crashed, wrong load order etc.

this way you will end with a lot of mods, but the resuklt is incredible and performance will be affected only a little.

Obligatory link http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    One downside to STEP is it takes a few hours