Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

I want to raid but not been given a chance

Hello,

I am a warrior tank and currently am only at 643 item level. I have under 2 days played time at level 100 so you can see, when I am playing, I haven't really been slacking. I have come into issues where in LFR and World bosses aren't dropping loot. Barely any, and if they do the stats on said loot are quite bad. I keep getting lots with Multistrike on, which of course for a prot warr is useless. So, I'm keeping lower gear for better stats. Won't get accepted for anything other than Highmauuul normal, and everything pug i've been in has failed. I've had a few wipe out on Kargath. Been really unlucky I suppose.

My goal is to get Blachand AOTC aswell as some Mythic bosses. I'm not a bad tank at all, and I want to progress into a guild that will eventually run Mythic. I don't want boosts, I'd work for it if I can but with 6.2 coming ever closer, it seems like I won't have atleast attempted BRF mythic within the next 2 months and without that, no serious guild will really look at me and take me on as a tank.

Any tips for a tank who is desperate to start raiding once more? My glory days were in wotlk, and i'm back and i want to do even better. What can I do? I need help as I'm just gonna end up leaving the game if I can't find a decent guild anytime soon.

Many thanks,
    Zalthu
    Last edited by mmoc3f9268e516; 2015-04-26 at 03:30 AM.

Deleted
    You can't really do anything with that item level, especially not tanking. Get 30 item levels and try finding a spot as dps and work your way up the ladder.

Its like finding a job, sometimes you have to "enhance" your resume, when looking for a group- your not a new tank, your an experienced alt looking for a pug, there is addons to facilitate that with achievments..

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    The problem you have is that any guild that accepts a 643 ilvl warrior at this point is never gonna get near BH heroic let alone any mythic. This means if you want to gear up primarily through raiding as quickly as you say, and you have no other characters/gold/guild support to help with the process, you'll probably have to guild hop a lot or get lucky.

With some $$$ you can easily boost that ilvl- my most recent lvl 100 is 655 after barely any play time through buying upgrades, crafted gear etc. There are ilvl 700 pieces on every AH if you have the money.

At the very least, you will need to put some 665s or something in some empty slots. If you're wanting to start raiding mythic, you need to be putting as much effort into gearing your character outside of a raid environment as you do in it.

Gear yourself up slightly more, you should have no problem finding a normal/early heroic BrF guild to progress with for now. Tanks are usually in high demand.

Craft gear pieces would be nice upgrade to you (640-685). Some BoE items are not that expensive so you could buy it from AH. Keep stack bonus armor on every piece where it can be...

Unfortunately with an ilvl like that this far into the expansion, your odds of getting AotC and Mythic bosses before the next patch is .. slim.
    Your only legit option currently is to keep trying with Highmaul Pugs.

Other than that, you might be able to find a guild that's just starting out and in need of a tank, some will be open to a lower ilvl tank they can get gear for quickly because of how vital the role is.

PM Requests are CLOSED | DevArt | TwitchTV | Zen Pigeons

As a retired tank for my guild raids that used to tank on alts as well at various gear and progression levels in different expansions, I can tell you that ilvl is only one piece of the puzzle. It gets focused on the most because you can't improve your ilvl past a certain level without actually doing the raids. At your ilvl and experience level you would probably benefit much much more from learning fights and learning tanking. You can just show up and face roll some of the easier LFRs with relatively low gear, but you might have trouble and LFR won't hesitate to kick undergeared tanks. I found it makes everything go smoother if you treat LFR like an actual raid and research the fights, bring your consumables, and gem/enchant your gear even though you will hopefully replace all of it very soon. This helps you see how important these things are for real raiding. Once you have the habbits of a good tank down the only thing keeping you from progressing is ilvl and that is much easier fixed if you are a good tank that is willing to work with the raid to do the best with what you have. Finding a more experienced/geared tank to take you under their wing can help wonders as the healers can save mana/CDs for you and you won't be rolling against another tank if they have everything.

On the ilvl front you can be patient and wait for weekly LFR unlocks and garrison missions. If you have the gold and/or time crafting can help a ton to fill in slots you just don't have luck with or just going with the bigger impact slots as you start out. You only get 3 crafted items at a time (shield doesn't count towards that limit) and you can reroll the secondary stats. There are also BoE drops, and the apexis crystal vendor items to further round out or fill in your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalthu View Post
    Hello,

I am a warrior tank and currently am only at 643 item level. I have under 2 days played time at level 100 so you can see, when I am playing, I haven't really been slacking. I have come into issues where in LFR and World bosses aren't dropping loot. Barely any, and if they do the stats on said loot are quite bad. I keep getting lots with Multistrike on, which of course for a prot warr is useless. So, I'm keeping lower gear for better stats. Won't get accepted for anything other than Highmauuul normal, and everything pug i've been in has failed. I've had a few wipe out on Kargath. Been really unlucky I suppose.

My goal is to get Blachand AOTC aswell as some Mythic bosses. I'm not a bad tank at all, and I want to progress into a guild that will eventually run Mythic. I don't want boosts, I'd work for it if I can but with 6.2 coming ever closer, it seems like I won't have atleast attempted BRF mythic within the next 2 months and without that, no serious guild will really look at me and take me on as a tank.

Any tips for a tank who is desperate to start raiding once more? My glory days were in wotlk, and i'm back and i want to do even better. What can I do? I need help as I'm just gonna end up leaving the game if I can't find a decent guild anytime soon.

Many thanks,
    Zalthu
    farnkly the legendary alone kills you. There is no way you are going to catch up all your systems before the raid goes live it's needly to say an isanely huge liability. million gold however can get you a full carry through mythic but it is what it is.

If you have alts, make as many barns as you can, farm Savage bloods and craft as much 685 gear as you can, sell the rest and buy gear. generally make gold and buy gear

Many thanks,
    Zalthu
    With the jump from 10 to 20 man, the demand for tanks is literally half what it used to be.

IMHO, go DPS, get a steady spot, then annex the role when someone else quits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere out there is a normal guild run or pug who will take you. But not as a tank.
    You need to run as a bottom feeding dps with the clear message that you are building your Tank set and just run them over and over.

The dps item level restriction may seem as harsh but it really is not. If you can pull 20k and not die, you're basically golden and better than half the clowns I see in those raids.

There's a group out there, run as arms or fury, get the gear you need for tanking and watch the opportunities open up before your very eyes.

If you're a hybrid class always start out your raiding career as dps, trying to claw your way up as a tank this late is hard, healer less hard but still trouble, you need help from guild members or friends to get you geared properly. Dps don't need any such assistance, they can pass under the radar of scrutiny with less effort. The tanks of the realm have already cemented their position and as there is usually only ever 2 per raid, you're expect to be geared at this point.

Honestly, if you were adamant about playing Prot, and you'd proven that through gearing correctly and with craftables, my group would take you, run you a few heroic gearing runs and shove you in the deep end of the pool anytime. As long as you can display some commitment.
    But not all guilds are willing to manage that.

Find a guild who's running normal blackrock frequently if at all possible. And be dps. Ask the leader if rolling on tank loot is acceptable if it isn't on personal.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

I would not put the blame on any guild that isn't willing to accept players at your current ilvl with the progress you are aiming for. You need to be a little bit patient in this process, you cannot expect to get things done super quick but it is possible..

As mentioned by other commentators do the following:

* Raid LFR and get some 650 gear
    * Do the world bosses to get some more 650+ gear
    * Make sure your ring is upgraded to the 680 edition at least, that shouldn't be hard.
    * Grind some gold and purchase BoE from the AH to boost your ilvl. Yes some of them may not have the best stats but the ilvl will carry you into PUG raids then you can switch inside to better stats to kill bosses.
    * Be sure that you are able to tank awesome with your current ilvl, this will shadow any care about you sneakily switching to lower ilvl
    * PUG as dps if you have too and pray for good coin rolls. plenty of gear that drops can be used as both tanks and dps as some do not have bonus armor. Take advantage of that.

You should be able to reach 660 ilvl within a week if you do the above. This opens access to few guilds that are willing to recruit players at that stage. If still unlucky just keep pugging and get some gear and eventually you reach a decent Ilvl within 2-3 weeks to join a proper raiding guild

Patience is key, Goodluck

Most pugs wont take a tank with your ilvl into brf... It's just too low for most and stresses the healers... You should be able to get to 660 pretty easily and once there, there are many pugs happening that will take you.. Gl

less than 2 days played time at 100? That honestly sounds like no effort has been given to even try to find a guild.

Sorry but when you say that you are not a "bad tank at all", I can't take that seriously. 643 for highmaul normal is more than enough to clear the place, especially if you are the only one at that ilvl and the rest of your group is far above it (which they will be). Even if they aren't, keep in mind that 640 was the average ilvl people cleared the place with on heroic during the first week it was out.

A lot of players have the mindset that it's never their fault and that it's always just everyone failing but themselves. It's easy to pin the blame on your group of course but when almost every pug you've been in has failed for the most part, you should probably start looking at yourself and figuring out if the correlation here is you and that you are part of the reason the group is falling apart. Ilvl simply masks your inability to play - whether at a individual level or as a team. That's why PuGs require high ilvls to compensate for those things.

If you are good at your class/role, your ilvl won't hinder you provided you are doing content at the right ilvl (and for highmaul normal or heroic? I would say that's more than enough considering your group will be slightly higher). If you are a good player however, you could take things into your hand and lead the PuG to victory, especially on the earlier and easier bosses where all you need to do is make sure the few mechanics are being done right and being able to pinpoint problems that are preventing those things from happening.
    Last edited by Dawnrage; 2015-04-26 at 07:25 AM.

Deleted
    Yes, it is my fault when people do not run into fire on Kargath, they're not stacked properly on Butcher, they stand in fire and get hit with the rocks on tectus etc. I'll rephrase, I am a good tank, but I have ran into a few bad pugs. Item level is restricting me, of course and the majority of people coming to HM norm are all 640 so not everyones item level is high and we can't blitz it. But you make a good point about leading the pugs, could give me a chance

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for all replies and advice

I am a warrior tank and currently am only at 643 item level. I have under 2 days played time at level 100 so you can see, when I am playing, I haven't really been slacking.
    2 days of /played at 100 is nothing for Mythic raiders. For a LOW-HOUR Mythic guild that is less than 2 months of raid hours... alone. Highmaul and BRF have been out for what... 4 months?

You're not going to be attempting BRF Mythic without at least tripling the amount of time you've put in /played on that character, sorry. I hate to say it but if you can't put in hours like that, Mythic is just not for you. (That said, that may be part of the problem with ever-decreasing Mythic participation, but that hasn't changed what the game is like).

What can I do?
    First get your Garrison going, the Caches give you a guaranteed 655/670 item every 2 weeks as well as a ton of 645 gear (better than LFR even). Do some LFR BRF along with Highmaul. Craft gear that can't be crafted or gotten through LFR. Get to know a guild and even, per chance, make some friends. How I initially started in raiding (Cataclysm) was joining a guild that was spamming trade, as cheesy as it sounds, and just let them know I was new at the game but explained the efforts I was putting in to raid. They luckily had a team of "newer" raiders which I got to raid with.

I need help as I'm just gonna end up leaving the game if I can't find a decent guild anytime soon.
    Join the club.

I sent you a PM. You're extremely undergeared, but if you're willing to be a DPS for a bit, we can always find spots for players who are willing to work on their shit. You'd need to log on a helluva lot more than that, though.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can also buy loot from the ah, it is quite common to see mythic loot for around 12-15k gold. Stats won't be the best indeed, but it is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    You can also buy loot from the ah, it is quite common to see mythic loot for around 12-15k gold. Stats won't be the best indeed, but it is better than nothing.
    I geared a shaman to 675 with 25k gold. A few BoEs, a few crafted items, and LFR. It's actually really easy.