Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

New Rig would love to be sub $1k.

Hey All,

So I need a new rig. Ive been going back and forth between trying to upgrade my Mobo and CPU and then upgrade other stuff later, but I just want a fresh slate. Came into some extra cash and can drop up to a grand on a new beast, but I would love to spend as little as possible.

I play WoW, Civ 5, Kerbal Space Program, do some CAD work, some video editing, and some graphic design stuff.

Here is what I have for a list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($231.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($130.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($80.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($186.49 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.79 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1048.58

If there are any red flags anyone sees, that I have missed, or just better quality parts that I should be using, I am very receptive to feed back.

Thanks in advance to any and all help.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Deleted
    Try this build out:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.88 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $963.97
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-26 04:05 EDT-0400

IT comes to ~$1030, and should suit your needs admirably. IT's a bit of a pain that your budget is slightly limited, otherwise I'd recoomend either the GTX970 or the R9-290

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks tenangrychickens. Any reason why with the hardware subs? Are the items I listed not as quality? or some incompatibility issues?

One thing I should have mentioned is the case. I don't want side vents for a fan, and I don't want lights.

Thanks for you list.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Deleted
    IT's largely for expense/balance reasons. The PSU you originally had is one I'm somewhat leery of, as its OEM (CWT) has widely variable results at the low-end, and the case is largely down to cost; if you're not interested in lights, then I'd also consider cases such as the NZXT Source 210 (Elite) and the Corsair 200R. The SSD is down to eprsonal preference in the sub-$100 category, and the motherboard is a high-quality budget board.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    I'm by no means an expert but i just did some research on RAM and upgraded mine. Isnt 2133 only possible with an overclock (which most ppl arent going to do)? It should be better to find a RAM with a much lower CAS even though you'll get a slower speed. Although, that is a really good price for 16G RAM, so that may be the best choice for a budget anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by TxMaverick88 View Post
    I'm by no means an expert but i just did some research on RAM and upgraded mine. Isnt 2133 only possible with an overclock (which most ppl arent going to do)? It should be better to find a RAM with a much lower CAS even though you'll get a slower speed. Although, that is a really good price for 16G RAM, so that may be the best choice for a budget anyways.
    Its just factory overclocked RAM is all. It has little to no performance impact in games at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    One thing I should have mentioned is the case. I don't want side vents for a fan, and I don't want lights.
    swap the case and cooler from tenangrychickens to this:

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.13 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $70.12
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-26 19:38 EDT-0400

I also noticed newegg is offering a $15 discount on that mobo and cpu combo making it a few bucks cheaper than buying the cpu from NCIX.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    swap the case and cooler from tenangrychickens to this:
    CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.13 @ Amazon)
    Why that CPU Cooler? The cooler master is so highly reviewed and rated, plus I have seen it in action.

Deleted

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($180.70 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1010.91
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 01:59 EDT-0400

cpu cooler: Not better performance wise but much quiter
    mobo: same quality but cheaper
    ram: as good quality but cheaper:
    ssd: don't buy ocz or kingston ones they are not as good as other alternatives.
    power supply: The one you chose is really bad. From alot of doa ones, catching fire to dying after a few months...cx series is rubbish. You can get a cheaper one than the one i got link if you don't care to be full/semi modular to keep under 1k.

Deleted
    IF you do constant work , scratch the SSD and upgrade to i7

7+ Year Old Account
    I've got the cash in hand, why the hell is it so hard for me to pull the trigger. I am just nervous I will end up with a lemon! Thanks all for the advice and suggestions for parts.

- - - Updated - - -

I should ask, I was going to skip the optical drive, but it dawned on me that how would I install Windows? Is there a way to load windows from, say a USB drive? Could I use my current rig to put Windows 8 on a USB drive, and then load windows from there on the new rig?

Yes, easily. Mkcrosoft has a utility for it, IIRC, and if not, there are several freeware utilities. I havent had a media drive in a Gaming PC Rig for at least six years. Even better, Windows will install quite a bit faster. Similarly, you can simply go to your MoBo manufacturers website and download the appropriate drivers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    I should ask, I was going to skip the optical drive, but it dawned on me that how would I install Windows? Is there a way to load windows from, say a USB drive? Could I use my current rig to put Windows 8 on a USB drive, and then load windows from there on the new rig?
    Yes. There's even easy-to-follow instructions on Microsoft's website. Search for their USB/DVD ISO tool.

15+ Year Old Account
    With a 1k budget I see no reason to not get a 970. You don't need 16 GB of ram. There are things to cut back on to get a 970. I highly recommend it.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

I'd drop that SSD in a heartbeat to upgrade to the 970.

Deleted
    With the games the OP listed the 960 is more than enough

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    and just about anything else at 1080p/60hz. People do not give the 960 enough credit really. It's an excellent card for 1080p, no real reason to spend more.

One thing I am curious about that it seems no one has mentioned, but he mentioned CAD, video editing and graphics design. The $1000 budget makes it hard, but I would look at an i7 if possible.

Or if not an i7, ive been really impressed with the Xeon E3 1231v3; it is usually cheaper than the i5 4690K, and is a true 4 core/8thread part. Yeah, you cant overclock it, but 3.5Ghz is plenty solid for games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Considering there are already games that my 970 struggles to maintain 1080/60 at Ultra, if its in the budget, id never recommend a 960 instead of a 970.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Or if not an i7, ive been really impressed with the Xeon E3 1231v3; it is usually cheaper than the i5 4690K, and is a true 4 core/8thread part. Yeah, you cant overclock it, but 3.5Ghz is plenty solid for games.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering there are already games that my 970 struggles to maintain 1080/60 at Ultra, if its in the budget, id never recommend a 960 instead of a 970.
    This was the biggest problem I wrestled with when designing a build, if I'm honest. You can use the 4690k for CAD work, although it's not optimal for obvious reasons. Given the budget, though, it's better to get the SSD now for the faster write times, and wait for an upgrade in the next two years to DDR4 and Cannonlake, for example. I won't disagree with getting eithe rhte i7-4790k or the Xeon for CAD work, nor would I disagree with the GTX970, although that feels like more of a gaming rig than a CAD rig.

Deleted
    CaD has 0 problems with quad core, i use it at work, you don't really need more cores, rendering goes fast unless you work with monster files. Video rendering on the other hand would be better with a xeon. Well its a sub 1k budget, you can't have it all.