View Poll Results: Would you get an I.D chip installed in YOU?

Voters
239. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

86 35.98%
  • No.

153 64.02%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    No way in hell.

Deleted
    So much yes. Passport ? Bank card ? Medical history ? No it's fine I've got it all in my arm.

We get dental braces, screws and metal plates in our broken body, glass eyes, auditory help, pacemakers, etc...
    Why would this be any different ? Pretty sure there should be a way to make these implant only about keeping information and not able to do anything else that display/use this information - even if hacked.

Aka : Harmless.
    Last edited by mmoceb381e0edb; 2015-04-26 at 10:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    No thanks!

Unless.. it could be used to send out automatic tweets or whatever:

"Brian just had a 3 lb bowel movement "
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

When technology got to the point where I wouldn't need to carry a wallet or a phone to do what I do now by using an implant I would be the first one in line.

No.

Technology like that becomes obsolete rather quickly and hacking methods therefore become incredibly cheap and wide spread. You think identity theft is big now... wait until the larger population starts using stuff like this.

No, not interested at all in it.

I would rather opt for an external option, as some have said. Why get an implant when you could wear it as a bracelet? Even if the bracelet wasn't removable by conventional means to keep it from getting lost or stolen (could be cut or could go to the doctor to have it removed maybe), I think that would be a better option than having it implanted.

Stuff like bank accounts seems too risky to be used in this simply for the sake of convenience. Medical history, ID/Passport, maybe insurance information...I could see a use for that. But not as an implant.
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    First, however, I must escape the clutches of the evil warlock Chris Metzonius of Blizzardonia. Only then may I return to Azeroth and smite the Horde with righteous fury!

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    When technology got to the point where I wouldn't need to carry a wallet or a phone to do what I do now by using an implant I would be the first one in line.
    Yes! I can't count the number of times I've left home, with my wallet conveniently sitting on the counter, and my phone charging!

Deleted
    Yup, i want dat mark of the beast as we can see on this forum most western people are ready to accept the chipping, they would even be happy to line up for it. Scary.
    Last edited by mmoc253745bd9c; 2015-04-26 at 11:00 PM.

Deleted
    sure, looks cool - would need some extensive testing though.. and how would it be charged

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    sure, looks cool - would need some extensive testing though.. and how would it be charged
    passive RFID tags need no external power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hit no on the poll however it would depend.

It's not that I think the government is spying on me it's just it seems like kind of an unneeded thing. I would need to see more research done on this before I did it. Like a lot more research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

it might be something good to have for soldiers when they are in the battlefield, so they can be tracked but be removed when he is home

Yes, yes, and yes. No more identity theft to worry about. No more forgetting cards or forgetting IDs. If you're scared of them, you have paranoia. They are passive chips, they aren't actively controlling your mind.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never ever ever.

Deleted
    medical history and passport info on a chip under your skin would be fantastic to have when traveling

I do not support this type of technology and people really need to look at what it really stands for and that is

constant monitoring by a government body that will ultimately sub contract it out to the cheapest bidder

I have seen some of the arguments for the idea and yes it could save your life but lets be honest how many times is your life really in that much danger to warrant constant surveillance ?

it can help locating missing persons well this is true but how often do you go missing and how many people that go missing actually want to be found?

now there are stacks of reasons for getting a chip but most of them will never apply to the average person the main thing the average person will get from it is convenience of not having to carry stuff like a passport

Now here are my main reasons that I am dead against them

1. You completely lose the right to any privacy
    your movements , purchases and any health related activities will be tracked and logged like it or not
    One needs to ask how damaging could my personal life be if it was constantly monitored
    it could be something as simple as you buy a sex toy and its then used in a public forum to discredit your moral standards by political opponents in the workplace

2. you are no longer invisible you can not hide or escape
    how is this important
    well lets say your chip clearly shows you were standing at x location when a person was murdered at Y location to the system you are either a witness or a suspect now and I can tell you now getting summoned to appear as a witness in court against powerful or dangerous people will change your life forever and nor do you want them to try and pin it on you cause your chip said you were the only one there at the time

Also here is another thing to think of how could a spouse get away from a violent partner if their location is know 24/7 ?

3. people will argue it will all be protected no one unauthorised will have access to the data
    yeah that's right and there is no such thing as data theft via employees or hackers and there is no corruption or bribery either

you see the key problem is with this type of technology is this
    What type of data is stored and how is it stored and for how long?
    who has the right to access your personal data files ?

at what level does it stop and how long before companies get the right to access their employees data files to make sure they are really sick and not having a day off

4. it also set the ground work for a cashless society and no one in their right mind would want that
    this is not a tinfoil hat thing this is simple logic to give up any physical control of your own money is a path to disaster
    If there is a blackout then your chip isn't going to pay for a darn thing if any stores are open which they wont be as there is no reason due to no power no systems working at least now I can still pay with cash

Deleted
    I don't want to give people a reason to cut me open if they wanted to rob me. It's easier for everyone if I just hand over my wallet.

7+ Year Old Account
    I see this as the future and i would be happy to beta test the thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii
    Technology like that becomes obsolete rather quickly and hacking methods therefore become incredibly cheap and wide spread. You think identity theft is big now... wait until the larger population starts using stuff like this.
    I agree. I used to do some research and writing in this area, primarily with the issues of biometrics and RFID on passports. Things get done with good intentions and they sound nice, or at least tolerable. The problem is that there are people in the world with less pure intentions. Just in the context of passports: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/secu...-rfid-cracked/

I'll opt out of implanted chips, they're one more area where everything would be nice until something went wrong.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.