Poll: ?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

do you look at peoples avatar or username to know them?

do you look at peoples avatar or username to know them?

I know a few posters who definitely do. Personally I go by the username/sig.

Yeah, at least one forum goer got into the habit of changing his avatar about once a week so that people would read his posts.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I know a few posters who definitely do. Personally I go by the username/sig.
    What are you getting at, Joe?

OT: Yes. Who wants to know?

No, that's not a terribly accurate way of judging someone's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    What are you getting at, Joe?

OT: Yes. Who wants to know?
    You and apepi both!

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    No, that's not a terribly accurate way of judging someone's character.
    It is for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both, because if either one is going to be Immature and Stupid, then it will most likely be both, and that pretty much forms my opinion of them on first impressions.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Mostly I go by avatars, but I've been having to read names more lately.

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as people don't fucking change them!!!!!!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    As long as people don't fucking change them!!!!!!
    Found him. Now both the posters I know are here.

I never had an avatar until a week ago and people remembered me. I have cult following on this section. Go into the pala/priest forum and they'll say not-so-nice things about me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I really like the new avatar and sig I had (Teen Titans Go), but I thought people won't recognize it as being me, so I went back.
    I remember that! Your Surefire picture. I was like 'Is that the real Winter?'

I remember pictures, mostly. Sometimes I'll read somebody's username after a while and ask myself if that was always their name.

You get some serious hate in the WoW forums. I remember I had asked why everyone was attacking you, when your thread wasn't even trolling, and they turned on me.
    Haha I remember reading that thread. I have no idea but one thing I noticed on this board as a whole is that people love wagons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I change my avatar/sig regularly and know others that do the same, so I go by name.

Deleted
    I mostly look at the avatar. When I see one I don't recognize, I'll look at the name.
    Same for me. I usually go by the avatar first and see if I recognize it; if I don't, I will look at the name.

I really like the new avatar and sig I had (Teen Titans Go), but I thought people won't recognize it as being me, so I went back.
    I think people would get used to it pretty soon-ish.

There are some posters I'm so familiar with I know whose thread it is by reading the title.

Or wait did you mean try to understand their personality by their username/avatar?

I hope no one does that for me, I'm not a hooded rogue archer IRL.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2015-04-26 at 05:26 PM.

Not sure exactly what form of "know" you're going for, so I'll answer both that come to mind.

In terms of recognizing someone I know, it's usually by username, but there are a few avatars that I recognize. Since avatars can be changed, I don't tend to use that as a solid form of recognition.

In terms of judging someone, only if the avatar or username is exceptionally stupid, particularly if it's stupid in a way that's obviously intended to be funny but fails. I try not to judge posts based on that, but I doubt I always succeed.

Let me guess, you're asking this because you changed your avatar yesterday aren't you?

Well the first thing that I catch is the avatar then if I don't recognize it I look at the name.

I tend to change my avatar/sig every couple of years or so. But TBH I don't even know if people know me or even recognize me.

Not until I started reading the Mafia threads, now they have significant importance. Plus: quick identification. Though I usually associate avatar with name, sig helps to reconnect to a name if they change their avatar. If you change both in one motion then I'll probably have to rack my brain to recall. TBH though, I don't really know any of you and only have an idea of your "tone" based on your past history that I've read.

So there you go. I use avatars to quick associate with usernames so that I can determine your tone based on your history, and I use signatures as a backup for changing avatars.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel